• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MILLION DOLLAR POLL

IF THIS PICASSO CAN REACH 13.7 MILLION, HOW INEVITABLE IS IT FOR COMIC ART  

90 members have voted

1. 1. IF THIS PICASSO CAN REACH 13.7 MILLION, HOW INEVITABLE IS IT FOR COMIC ART

15 posts in this topic

I think it can happen.

If a baseball can sell for $3 million dollars (Todd McFarlane's purchase of Mark McGwire's ball), anything can happen, since in an auction environment all it takes is 2 to tango and drive prices to record breaking heights.

I don't think comic book art will be seen as mainstream as a Picasso or Dali, even a swipe artist like Roy Lichtenstein, comic book fans can pout 'til they're blue in the face, but truth be told, if you expended a poll beyond a non-comic book collecting population there's probably more art collectors and investors willing to shell out money on his work than on any of comic's best of the best, be it Ditko, Kirby, Steranko, Miller or anyone else.

I think there's a certain mainstream stigma towards comic art being a bit childish or immature, so possessing it and displaying it has less prestige to the mainstream. I think it's that reason that will ultimately keep most comic art from passing that threshold and surpassing more mainstream artwork in price.

I think artists modern artists like Mark Ryden and even former comic book related artists who are now more part of the low-brow or fine art genre like Tara McPherson or James Jean have better chances of their art selling for millions than their modern contemporaries like a Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell and the like.

The prices and value of comic art will still appreciate in value and I still think compared to their counterparts in other art genres, comic book art is a great investment and tremendously undervalued. Just look at the prices of pages from the 1980's and 1990's to 30 years later today and the return on investment on some are amazing, Turning in many cases $400 into $10,000+ is nothing to sneeze at...

I think it is inevitable. What I think may be more intriguing (or maybe not), is what artist? Kirby? Ditko? Mcfarlane? Miller? We have seen Frazetta paintings go for over 1 million. How about a Wrightson Frankenstein plate? No one is selling those.

I will sell you my plate for $1,000,000