• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round 2 Results
1 1

41 posts in this topic

ok --- I'll keep on playing. But it is frustrating to read the freaking CGC notes AFTER the grades are shown and finding things out like "Oh yeah--- did I forget to mention the cover is totally detached?'" or the one about the tanning.

Oh well--- they run it how they like I suppose. In other contests in the past--- things that weren't obvious but would be in if you had it in hand were given to help contestants. Every game has its own set of obstacles so of course this is fair just makes it really hard to guess a thing you cannot (or barely) see at all.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, 01TheDude said:

ok --- I'll keep on playing. But it is frustrating to read the freaking CGC notes AFTER the grades are shown and finding things out like "Oh yeah--- did I forget to mention the cover is totally detached?'" or the one about the tanning.

Oh well--- they run it how they like I suppose. In other contests in the past--- things that weren't obvious but would be in if you had it in hand were given to help contestants. Every game has its own set of obstacles so of course this is fair just makes it really hard to guess a thing you cannot (or barely) see at all.

I feel you, Lord willing to work out kinks is the hope, at least the goal for an end result. It is understandable the frustration, yet we're all in the same boat and have the same knowledge in the meantime. 

I'd say this is "only the 3rd contest of these" but its agreeable that it could be done better ^^

• Administrator

Criticism is not ignored.  I do try hard to make these contests fun for everyone.  In the future, I will try to study the notes better, and list a hidden defect, if I see one.  :smile:

@01TheDude

On 8/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I feel you, Lord willing to work out kinks is the hope, at least the goal for an end result. It is understandable the frustration, yet we're all in the same boat and have the same knowledge in the meantime. 

I'd say this is "only the 3rd contest of these" but its agreeable that it could be done better ^^

This comes from a place of just wanting you to enjoy regardless, I know it can be frustrating and to no end lol

But I'm glad your encouraged to keep attempting with the rest of us, though we all have the same frustration sometimes.

And more importantly I'm glad to see you post, and want you to have fun. I really hope health wise you're doing well, and keeping your strength up.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, CGC Mike said:

Criticism is not ignored.  I do try hard to make these contests fun for everyone.  In the future, I will try to study the notes better, and list a hidden defect, if I see one.  :smile:

On 8/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, CGC Mike said:

As I said--- it is fair for all involved and I mention the CGC comments being shown AFTER as being one area I see as a possible improvement. For instance-- including all the grade notes WITH the initial showing of the images would separate this particular form of contest from all the previous ones. I can only recall a handful of times that anything from CGC grader notes was ever included. Hidden stuff though was often expressly told as if the person playing could hold the comic in hand (obvious stuff not revealed in images easily). 

Anyway - keep up the good work as it certainly is better than NOT having a contest to play.  I think we could enhance it a bit if we could also figure out some method to have people add prizes voluntarily without sounding like CGC is begging for that type of participation.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, 01TheDude said:

which book had cover detached?

On 8/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, 01TheDude said:

But it is frustrating to read the freaking CGC notes AFTER the grades are shown and finding things out like "Oh yeah--- did I forget to mention the cover is totally detached?'" or the one about the tanning.

Respectfully (and I mean that), the scans of these books did in fact reveal these defects.  Check out the two circled areas along the spine side of the front cover scan for Book #1 (Adventure #37) shown below.  The black band at the top and bottom of the title block is offset at the original spine (which coincides with the staples).  That can only happen if the front and back covers are completely split.

01d.thumb.jpg.703729b76b62cd6e647029d88471a37d.jpg

And the scans for Book #8 (G.I. Combat #68) more than hinted at the inside cover tanning.  Neither the front cover shadow nor the back cover halo have sharp, well-defined boundaries.  In my experience, that's always been a good indication of tanning to the inside covers.  One man's opinion (but a man who's been active in the hobby for 60+ years).

08.thumb.jpg.bf50600519abc321544146ac2b513f02.jpg 08b.thumb.jpg.fed20599f95f1be49675d46d7bd1bc67.jpg

Trust me when I say that I've shaken my head more than once when CGC's grades were revealed.  But it's just a game.  And if this is anywhere close to the biggest frustration you've felt today, you truly lead a blessed life.  :foryou:

On 8/2/2022 at 8:08 PM, zzutak said:

Respectfully (and I mean that), the scans of these books did in fact reveal these defects.  Check out the two circled areas along the spine side of the front cover scan for Book #1 (Adventure #37) shown below.  The black band at the top and bottom of the title block is offset at the original spine (which coincides with the staples).  That can only happen if the front and back covers are completely split.

And the scans for Book #8 (G.I. Combat #68) more than hinted at the inside cover tanning.  Neither the front cover shadow nor the back cover halo have sharp, well-defined boundaries.  In my experience, that's always been a good indication of tanning to the inside covers.  One man's opinion (but a man who's been active in the hobby for 60+ years).

08.thumb.jpg.bf50600519abc321544146ac2b513f02.jpg 08b.thumb.jpg.fed20599f95f1be49675d46d7bd1bc67.jpg

Trust me when I say that I've shaken my head more than once when CGC's grades were revealed.  But it's just a game.  And if this is anywhere close to the biggest frustration you've felt today, you truly lead a blessed life.  :foryou:

I thought he was talking abt round 2-yes that cover was obviously detached from the pics-no notes necessary.  And yes on the tanning also.  I spotted both these defects.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:04 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Yikes. 3 bullseyes but still 7 points down. :-(

You gave the Spawn a 3.5?

On 8/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Yikes. 3 bullseyes but still 7 points down. :-(

(worship)

On 8/2/2022 at 8:08 PM, zzutak said:

All very good points-- and things I missed.

My efforts weren't exactly all out or too motivated. The prize is nothing I really need (I like my raw books/never have sent in a book to be graded). Also-- never really thought I had any shot at finishing in the top three.

Edited by 01TheDude

On 8/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, 01TheDude said:

All very good points-- and things I missed.

My efforts weren't exactly all out or too motivated. The prize is nothing I really need (I like my raw books/never have sent in a book to be graded). Also-- never really thought I had any shot at finishing in the top three.

likewise I dont submit so prize irrelevant.