• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Masks in GA
2 2

40 posts in this topic

Wow, had a major league brain fart reading the subject line of this thread. :whatthe:

The first thought that went through my warped mind was that some grand jury in Georgia had been tear-gassed.  :ohnoez:

D'oh! Don't ask, I shoulda known better! :facepalm:

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale!

On 8/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, october said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3c30bc2cd9b42231b882e60b17329f12.jpeg

With covers like this Amazing Mystery Funnies here, you are clearly a collector with discerning taste and a sharp eye for gorgeous classic covers. (thumbsu

Absolutely love the combination of bright colors on this cover here, and one of the more beautiful ones from the early AMF run.  All I can say is that I wish I had a second chance at some of these beautiful early AMF issues from the Jon Berk Auction now knowing how the auction would turn out by the end of that week.  If so, I would definitely have gone higher on my bids for some of these early AMF's and hopefully have at least a few of them in my collection.  :cry:

I imagine there must be a lot of collectors like you chasing after this particular issue here, as I noticed Overstreet jacking his valuation on this one by a lot more relative to the other issues in the run, as it went from $3,300 from the time of Berk's auction back in 2017 to now sitting at $9,500 in top of this year's guide.  :whatthe:   :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, lou_fine said:

My favorite Sandman cover out of the small handful out there, but sadly, was never able to find a nice enough copy back in the day for my personal collection before it blew right past my pricing threshold.  :luhv:  :(

Just one more reason to lower your standards in order to just be able to own a book. A lower grade copy is much better than no copy…

On 8/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, Robot Man said:

Just one more reason to lower your standards in order to just be able to own a book. A lower grade copy is much better than no copy…

Maybe, but only to a point. I could never find a suitable copy of Tec 31 back when I could have afforded one. I should have been more flexible, but I still wouldn't want a true beater of a copy. (From what I remember, finding one with nice pages was the biggest issue.) I could maybe go down to 2.0 on a grail, but I wouldn't want a 0.5 or a 1.0. At that point, the eye appeal is so poor that it defeats the purpose of owning the book (which for me is to enjoy the cover art).

On 8/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe, but only to a point. I could never find a suitable copy of Tec 31 back when I could have afforded one. I should have been more flexible, but I still wouldn't want a true beater of a copy. (From what I remember, finding one with nice pages was the biggest issue.) I could maybe go down to 2.0 on a grail, but I wouldn't want a 0.5 or a 1.0. At that point, the eye appeal is so poor that it defeats the purpose of owning the book (which for me is to enjoy the cover art).

OK, I understand that. But what if it had a page out (not the Batman story) or back cover gone? Would that sway you for a decent price?

I recently bough a copy of All American with the first Harlequin. Looked like a decent 3.0-4.0 “in the bag”. It had a pretty hefty price on it. When I took it out, I found the centerfold was missing which I informed the suprised seller. He apologized and tossed it on a box behind the table. I told him to wait a minute, what would he take for it now? At the price he told me, I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough. The cover was nice, it was a solid copy with nice pages and the Harlequin origin was complete. Everything that really mattered to me was there. The cf was a story I would have just flipped by anyway. I probably wouldn’t have bought at the price he wanted when we assumed it was complete. Sometimes, being flexible works out well for me. 

On 8/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, Robot Man said:

OK, I understand that. But what if it had a page out (not the Batman story) or back cover gone? Would that sway you for a decent price?

I recently bough a copy of All American with the first Harlequin. Looked like a decent 3.0-4.0 “in the bag”. It had a pretty hefty price on it. When I took it out, I found the centerfold was missing which I informed the suprised seller. He apologized and tossed it on a box behind the table. I told him to wait a minute, what would he take for it now? At the price he told me, I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough. The cover was nice, it was a solid copy with nice pages and the Harlequin origin was complete. Everything that really mattered to me was there. The cf was a story I would have just flipped by anyway. I probably wouldn’t have bought at the price he wanted when we assumed it was complete. Sometimes, being flexible works out well for me. 

No, a page out or a missing back cover would be a deal breaker for me. I'd rather do without a copy at that point. It's true that I could enjoy the cover art on such a copy, but the incompleteness would bother me enough that I wouldn't enjoy owning the book. On the other hand, a low-grade that had most of the defects concentrated on the back cover would be a good compromise for a book that I couldn't afford in high grade.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

No, a page out or a missing back cover would be a deal breaker for me. I'd rather do without a copy at that point. It's true that I could enjoy the cover art on such a copy, but the incompleteness would bother me enough that I wouldn't enjoy owning the book. On the other hand, a low-book that had most of the defects concentrated on the back cover would be a good compromise for a book that I couldn't afford in high grade.

Again, I get it. Every collector is different and deserves to be so. There is no “right way” to collect. I guess I’ve been collecting to long. I have everything from Mike High, slabbed books on down to coverless. I just love the medium and most of my collection has come to me by opportunity. Always, and especially at this point, upgrading.

What bothers me most is vastly overpaying for a comic book. I can overlook faults with rose colored glasses and just enjoy them. But when I pay through the nose, I focus more on that than the book it’s self.

I could afford a decent lower grade Tec 31, but would feel guilty spending that much to own it. Such better ways to spend my money that would give me a lot more pleasure.

I certainly don’t judge others to spend their money anyway they see fit though.:foryou:

On 8/8/2022 at 9:48 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm guessing you didn't buy many Promise books? :insane:

I REALLY wanted that Fight #35. Maybe my favorite FH book. But I got a decent copy with a little better color  already.

Besides, I knew I couldn’t fight that big TX oil money…:devil:

At least it went to worthy collector. 

On 8/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, Robot Man said:
On 8/8/2022 at 11:48 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm guessing you didn't buy many Promise books? :insane:

I REALLY wanted that Fight #35. Maybe my favorite FH book. But I got a decent copy with a little better color  already.

Besides, I knew I couldn’t fight that big TX oil money…:devil:

At least it went to worthy collector. 

fight35.jpg