• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvelman #370
2 2

13 posts in this topic

4.0 as is.

Press will help but the staple rust and migration is a significant defect. I think you'll max out at a 5.0/5.5 after a press.

Thanks for posting.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:26 AM, grendelbo said:

4.0 as is.

Press will help but the staple rust and migration is a significant defect. I think you'll max out at a 5.0/5.5 after a press.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much <3

I have to summon @marvelmaniac; @scburdet; @Yorick; and @The Lions Den to this thread :O

Most of my Millers have staple rust.  If you don't take them out, it only gets worse.  I have a coverless True Tales of Love 7 (Miller below) with terrible staple rust (and some other problems) which I started working on.  The rusty staples will start bonding to the paper and becomes difficult to remove without tearing the paper.  These saddle-stitched Millers are much easier to remove the staples than the square-bounds.  I'll need to dissolve the bindery glue of the cover wrap before I can even get to the staples (on a square-bound).

I don't believe there is currently a market ($$$) for CGC Millers.  All of mine are raw and I prefer them this way.  My suggestion is to get the staples out and then just bag and board it.

True Tales of Love 7 (1).JPG

PS.  You could remove the slight paper bends with a press, but the rusty staple problem prevents the higher grades you would want from spending money on the pressing.  It all depends what your collecting interests are.  Is the book going up for sale?  Personal collection?

On 8/8/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bart Allen said:

Sure thing :3

Hide contents

20220808_141547.jpg.283803217cb7e4ee6f1725e197fd6c1e.jpg20220808_141600.jpg.d44fca23930cb06bb964d1e223d2aca3.jpg20220808_141606.jpg.870b19d23545fbf0745e75308ee41440.jpg20220808_141642.jpg.c3f31162225216f7a432a289776aa5b0.jpg20220808_141702.jpg.da6c749974d064d0fc55347f6117f250.jpg

Well, I've seen worse, but you do have a pretty serious problem. How you proceed depends on a variety of factors, but I'd be thinking about contacting someone who does this kind of work as soon as possible. If nothing else, you may be able to gain some valuable insight (such as what has already been posted in this thread).

Whatever you decide to do, good luck...  

On 8/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, scburdet said:

Yeah, the rust migration is an issue and the wrinkle needs pressing provided it doesn't damage an old book like this. Any sort of significant staining like rust migration reduces the ceiling to ~5.5

Yeah :( Thanks a lot <3

On 8/8/2022 at 5:23 PM, Yorick said:

Most of my Millers have staple rust.  If you don't take them out, it only gets worse.  I have a coverless True Tales of Love 7 (Miller below) with terrible staple rust (and some other problems) which I started working on.  The rusty staples will start bonding to the paper and becomes difficult to remove without tearing the paper.  These saddle-stitched Millers are much easier to remove the staples than the square-bounds.  I'll need to dissolve the bindery glue of the cover wrap before I can even get to the staples (on a square-bound).

I don't believe there is currently a market ($$$) for CGC Millers.  All of mine are raw and I prefer them this way.  My suggestion is to get the staples out and then just bag and board it.

True Tales of Love 7 (1).JPG

Thanks a lot for that - much appreciated! To be honest I'll probably clean and press them before sending it to be encapsulated ~ 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, Yorick said:

PS.  You could remove the slight paper bends with a press, but the rusty staple problem prevents the higher grades you would want from spending money on the pressing.  It all depends what your collecting interests are.  Is the book going up for sale?  Personal collection?

To be honest it's for my personal collection as very few of those books are in CGC ~

On 8/8/2022 at 8:26 PM, The Lions Den said:

Well, I've seen worse, but you do have a pretty serious problem. How you proceed depends on a variety of factors, but I'd be thinking about contacting someone who does this kind of work as soon as possible. If nothing else, you may be able to gain some valuable insight (such as what has already been posted in this thread).

Whatever you decide to do, good luck...  

Thanks a lot <3 I guess I'll just encapsulate it as it is after a clean and press ~

On 8/9/2022 at 2:04 AM, Bart Allen said:

very few of those books are in CGC

I did that for many low grade books in my collection as it was enjoyable to have the only graded copy of a particular book.  BUT, isn't it better to have a ZERO graded copy book?

That book would improve with a press, and maybe you should just have the staples replaced and take the "conserved" grade.  I'm not too familiar with cleaning, but it may be possible to lighten some of the staple stains.

Sorry, have not been home.

Rusty staples and severe rust migration, moderate wrinkling/bends of the front and rear covers, corner dings, 1/8" triangle missing from the lower left corner of rear cover.

IMO the rust migration is enough to prevent this book from being a higher grade...

3.5 VERY GOOD- (VG-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.