• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 1:53 PM, Dr. Balls said:

THIS is the frustrating part about CGC's decision. You work hard to build your brand, stay on top - and make a braindead mistake that allows your competitors to non-stop dunk on you over it. Avoidable judgment calls like this are head-scratching because it's a simple ethical decision, and the chose poorly.

Right you are ken 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:53 PM, mattn792 said:

As they should, but the real question is can the other guys manage to capitalize on this epic blunder?

An excellent point. We can see how well they did with the price increase. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:31 AM, Shpeeler said:

I may be completely wrong here, but doesnt CGC only grade the acetate cover for these? If so then its the acetate itself getting the 9.9/10 and not the underlying book.

If that's the case than what's to stop us from taking any lower grade book and attaching a mint acetate cover to game the grading system?

On 8/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, mattn792 said:

None, some, or all may be oblivious.  Quantity of obliviousness doesn't matter, the original sources knew it was a scam.  Let the original sources now bear the responsibility of making it right.

All buyers are oblivious? Come on. An all sellers know I assume.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:57 PM, thehumantorch said:

If that's the case than what's to stop us from taking any lower grade book and attaching a mint acetate cover to game the grading system?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, for multiple covers the grade assigned is the highest of all not necessarily the outside cover.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, ygogolak said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, for multiple covers the grade assigned is the highest of all not necessarily the outside cover.

They grade the whole book and nothing but the book.  

On 8/10/2022 at 1:47 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Am I in the wrong thread?

183A2CEE-AD83-43DB-BBF2-CF0C91EC762D.gif.ee4a2cd2e05f462520916cc40a88dbd5.gif

Buying an exclusive con variant to flip isn’t speculation????

There were sales before the show. Not really speculation when there is a track record. Once retailers were aware of it they use a picture that they or someone else gets, sends an email to their mail list and boom, sales are generated before the show even starts.