• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 4:12 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I agree 100% on the Con exclusives.   Are also saying Dealer to Dealer sales of their inventory they bring to the show be banned as well?  Just curious

Yeah, but only if that happened before the doors opened.  He was saying dealer to dealer sales of regular convention stock and wall books prior to the doors opening should be restricted as well since the regular fans don't get as many opportunities to find good deals if the dealers buy up all the best deals and set a new convention market price for them.  You end up with 2 markets: the pre-opening market and then the regular hours convention market with markups.  I've heard stories of dealers buying some of the best books for their own collection thereby reducing the stock that the regular convention attendees have access to which is why many collectors attend conventions.  I realize that is one of the trade industry perks of being a dealer/exhibitor and incentive of buying a table at a convention to sell.  However, I have felt like the only way I can be assured of a fair convention experience is if I also buy a dealer table to get the exhibitor badge and early access to level the playing field. If enough "collectors" start doing that how will that affect the convention experience for dealers and convention attendees? 

On 8/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, jsilverjanet said:

any chance I can lure you out of retirement and create a "In Balls We Trust" Acetate with your thread babes from long ago?

hm Let’s do it on a Youngblood 0 comic and we’ll retire to the Bahamas.

Man, I miss the thread babes.

D1854F56-D771-47AB-8F92-4AB65089686F.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Balls

The only (small) concession I can make to CGC here is that, given the absolutely ridiculous amount of "variant" covers that are being produced these days - I mean, I am just dumbfounded by the number of these things - perhaps they just assumed one more "variant" wasn't going to be a big deal. 

Of course missing a few rather important distinctions.  

(edit: and, yeah, with suspiciously high grades on top)

Edited by Axelrod

On 8/10/2022 at 4:26 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Even I don’t own a tin-foil hat this big...

lol I know but I'm grasping at whatever excuse I can think of to believe CGC does NOT have a systemic fraud problem here that goes to the top.  I think I'm in the denial phase of this whole mess.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:02 PM, justafan said:

No, I think that should be banned. I've been against pre-show vulturing of books and deals by exhibitors and vendors before any of the VIP ticket holders or general admission ticket holder are allowed in.  I was listening to Thoro Comics breakdown of Gem's youtube and one of his guests, Tito from Kingdom Comics, shared this same opinion that NO ONE should be allowed to buy con exclusives before the doors open to general attendees. Con exclusives are for the fans and attendees of the show, not the dealers and exhibitors.  He went further to state that the practice of exhibitors selling to exhibitors before the show opens to the general public should also be stopped.  It isn't fair to people coming for deals when all the deals have been scooped up and are now being forced to pay secondary convention market prices before the show even opens.   I wholeheartedly agree with this but I doubt anyone would be able to police that.  The only way would be to let everyone start going in when they allow the dealers to enter to start setting up.

He says this around the 1:40:00 mark.

Thanks for posting this. Glad to see someone has the balls to out these YouTubers/Whatnot/"Influencers".

Gem Mint is a clown. They are like the drug pushers who sell drugs to kids on the playground and then cry "We didn't actually MAKE the drugs...we just sell what the people want". Pathetic.

They need to be outted and held just as complacent in this farce as much as CGC and Black Flag. 

Gem Mint even has the audacity to act like a victim in all of this. What a joke that guy is.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, ygogolak said:

Yes, but as far as the cover goes....if you have four covers they use the highest, correct?

Yes, when there are multiple copies of a cover when there is only supposed to be one, the big number on the slab is the best of the bunch, regardless of which cover it is (as I understand it)

On 8/10/2022 at 3:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

Bought a collection a couple weeks ago that had 5  boxes of Playboys.  Now those things are heavy.

Especially the Sticky Pages Pedigrees.. 

I'm a big fan of sees you see and have been very vocal and defending them on Facebook and other places, but this is just flat out a mistake. 

Cgc has never been particularly good about controlling the narrative around their brand this is a good opportunity for them to step up and admit that they made a mistake. These books should never have gotten a blue label judging by their own standards that they set, and they should come forth with a statement that's 100% transparent regarding it. Continuing to not do so just gives their detractors more momentum. The marketing team should have been all over this with statements, and there should be some sort of active effort to make sure the other books intended for Boston aren't released.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:12 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I agree 100% on the Con exclusives.   Are also saying Dealer to Dealer sales of their inventory they bring to the show be banned as well?  Just curious

The thing Ive always hated about FanExpo Dallas is that the vendors get 1st shot at any exclusive. They buy the good ones and immediately mark up. Just the nature I guess but I should know better than to go after Con Exclusives.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:46 PM, TTony said:

Well these prices have escalated quite a bit... can we now add shill bidding to the list of atrocities going on with this book?

image.png.98e13e02a0e6dfd6a00a663d043367cb.png

Yeah I’m going to go ahead and assume that these auctions are not going to end with any sort of payment.

C9D1462D-D5F3-4BA9-ADD6-0FB8A4DB70BC.png

2E395C74-56CB-4171-BD22-1D96D78722D6.png

2507FEC3-74F7-4EF1-9BBA-346454106AE6.png

On 8/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, TTony said:

So you're saying Black Flag used better acetate than Stray Dogs 1 which the acetate cover stapled with only 2 staples in original production, not a year later by some unknown post production process?

image.thumb.png.2f5fc845bea99b6352bac9ff972f2c7b.png

No, I'm saying that publishers (or pretend publishers, in the case of the acetate overlay a year later) working closely with CGC could (theoretically) supply CGC directly - no other handling after production - with 200 books or 350 books, or 750 books, and ask CGC to pull out and slab the best 10.  If CGC did this, the census results of that process would look impossible for just submitting 10 books. There would be no census record of the 190, 340, or 740 rejected books that didn't get slabbed.

Edited by valiantman