• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 1:17 AM, davet75 said:

Did Captain America get... breast implants?  Or is that an extra bicep on his chest?

Judging by his real life counterpart, I would say steroid pouches.  

On 8/14/2022 at 10:57 PM, ExNihilo said:

CGC: "fool me once, shame on the board.  fool me twice, shame on the boards again.  fool me three times, what else can we do to wring money from customers?"

I would say it's more like this:  "fool me once, shame on the vendor.  getting called out for being fooled, shame on the board for questioning our authoritae.  must save face and say this was planned because we don't want the board to lose faith in our perfection, shame on the board again.  must save face again so triple down until we can get them to believe it or forget about it.  

• Bring in head grader team (who is this mysterious Illuminati team... inquiring minds want to know)
  • Who are the established artists (is the list simply the CGC on-site in Florida SS list?).  
  • I'm ready for a Crain vs Liefeld debate.

Another thought exercise: how does CGC really regard whether these aftermarket acetate books are considered adulterated or augmented by the addition of extra staples and another cover:  What if you remove them and submit them to be slabbed? 

is it restoration? Preservation? You gonna get a PLOD or a blue label with grader notes that it had 4 extra holes from staples? Or is it now a coverless copy and it gets a .5. I mean, the previously added acetate cover that they legitimized is gone. If it got a blue label with an acetate cover then logic demands that removing it makes it coverless. Amirite? :canofworms:

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 8/15/2022 at 3:34 AM, The Meta said:

I wonder if CGC feels like it can do whatever it wants because people's grammar and sentence structure is so terrible its like being on Jerry Springer: Nerd Edition

It's their bread and butter. 

20201219_222355.jpg.411b1879f0c66b087bbdf6c07dc2c76a.jpg

Out of all this can definitively see a market for  marvel and others  to  move from blank sketch variants to blank acetate cover variants going forward 

Get those 9.9 and 10.0  yellow slabs for remarks etc on acetate

On 8/15/2022 at 3:34 AM, The Meta said:

I wonder if CGC feels like they can do whatever they want because people's grammar and sentence structure is so terrible. It’s like being on Jerry Springer: Nerd Edition

Fixed the 4 grammar mistakes for ya! :foryou:

On 8/15/2022 at 4:03 AM, Gaard said:

At least their BS statements were good for one thing. They proved that CGC knew exactly what they were before they graded encapsulated them.

Does anyone honestly believe they submitted exactly 750 to be graded 9.8-10? I don’t. They sent 775 or 800 just to be safe and tossed the ones that didn’t hit that threshold in prescreen. For that reason alone, a blue label is not appropriate. Most collectors can’t manufacture additional copies of a book to ensure the grade they want. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 8/13/2022 at 5:18 AM, Skwerl said:

All of this nonsense has just been stewing and stinking for the past couple days, but where I'm at now is I just don't understand how CGC can be so willing to make exceptions on this stuff, no matter what their reasoning is. Like, whatever sort of grading company you want to run, there's no escaping the fact that as much as we cry when our books come back shy of 9.8, we all want to know that the grades are earned, that the grading methods are strict, that there's absolutely no monkey business. When something like this abomination shows up at CGC, how in the multiverse does the decision wind up being to let it slide? Who wants to be the grading company known for letting dubious or suspicious things slide like this? No one picks CGC because they're the fun guys who grade wacky invisible comics. How is any amount of money from some bobo fly-by-night publisher like Black Flag worth a decision that isn't the conservative route? How is it not that every decision made by CGC errs on the side of caution? If you're extra strict on a weird book and/or give it a green label, well, you can always change your policy if it turns out you were wrong, and customers can resubmit for the upgrade. But why would you risk certifying something or giving it a high grade if there's even the slightest hint of impropriety? There's no way to get people do volunteer for downgrades, so you just become the company whose grades aren't always right. At the end of this timeline, CGC 9.9s are the new PGX 9.8s.

Just because this needs to be seen again.

I never really liked Liefeld's work all that much. I always heard he was sort of a jerk.  But if he has a Whatnot sale going on I do watch it.  He seems to ramble on about anything and acts like he just drank a case of Red Bull. 

I also agree he got it half right.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:03 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Another thought exercise: how does CGC really regard whether these aftermarket acetate books are considered adulterated or augmented by the addition of extra staples and another cover:  What if you remove them and submit them to be slabbed? 

is it restoration? Preservation? You gonna get a PLOD or a blue label with grader notes that it had 4 extra holes from staples? Or is it now a coverless copy and it gets a .5. I mean, the previously added acetate cover that they legitimized is gone. If it got a blue label with an acetate cover then logic demands that removing it makes it coverless. Amirite? :canofworms:

I realize you mean this to be a rhetorical question, but if this should actually happen, I imagine that they would treat it the same way they treat the Spider-man #1 Green Polybagged Edition; they onyl note it's the Polybagged edition if they can confirm that the copy was indeed inside the polybag (i.e. if it was submitted that way). Otherwise they assume it wasn't. So if the acetate was removed, they'll treat it as a regular copy with damage.