• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

"The grade assigned will take into consideration the grade of the acetate cover as well as the interior book." 

@CGC Mike Hi there.  I know you expressed an inability to answer some of the prior questions, which perhaps went a bit beyond the four-corners of the announcment.   But could CGC at least clarify the above highlighted statement? 

Does this mean that the qualified grade of the book will start from the grade of the original book as if the acetate cover and related addional staples and holes were not there, but then be adjusted downward to account for the presence of the extra stapes and holes?  

(shrug)

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Ares said:

Can we Say Dick?

"To those that have asked me questions.  I will not be able to answer any of them. Sorry. You Suck."

On 8/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, The Drizzle said:

Screenshot_20220823-153401_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3e7f43d8cd5872f94a93e8dadfb3cd06.jpg

So , I am married to an artist and I went to art school for a year, a conservatory...they tackled these questions of what is 'authentic'...mostly because of copyright laws... things like , can you take a picture of art, and alter the picture in some way  and it be authentic or can you reproduce the art piece but change it in some way , can that be authentic? You circling a word does nothing to define what is authentic..why do you think CGC chose that word???? it's vague and open to interpretation 

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/23/2022 at 12:57 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I also don't understand why CGC would want to expose themselves to this aggravation ...it's an extremely niche component..and by doing this service it still has no effect on their bottom line (financially).

I think CGC simply thought they could get away with it and no one would notice. How many large corporations have cratered themselves because they got caught making one mistake? None - but plenty of large corporations made a lot of mistakes no one noticed, finally leading to the one that was caught by the public and that is what cratered them.

There are so many scenarios that play out here, so many people being implicated, conspiracies, etc - for me, the simple truth and human nature element of "doing something stupid because you think no one is looking" in my opinion, is likely the culprit here.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

On 8/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, The Drizzle said:

But it shows you where the conflict of interest is, which is what I was responding to.

Only if you're a Newb who don't know how comics work. 

well, then say that...why perpetuate the problem everyone is fighting against? 

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/23/2022 at 1:53 PM, Ed Hanes said:

why do you think CGC chose that word???? it's vague and open to interpretation 

I'm no lawyer, but my step-daughter is: I do know that vague, open to interpretation and never admit to anything is pretty much how she recommends everyone to roll. Which is probably why everyone is up in arms over CGC's response - and why I think there will never be another one.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think CGC simply thought they could get away with it and no one would notice. How many large corporations have cratered themselves because they got caught making one mistake? None - but plenty of large corporations made a lot of mistakes no one noticed, finally leading to the one that was caught by the public and that is what cratered them.

There are so many scenarios that play out here, so many people being implicated, conspiracies, etc - for me, the simple truth and human nature element of "doing something stupid because you think no one is looking" in my opinion, is likely the culprit here.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Yeah, that does seem to be a common occurrence these days or because of social media we just hear about it more

On 8/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm no lawyer, but my step-daughter is: I do know that vague, open to interpretation and never admit to anything is pretty much how she recommends everyone to roll. Which is probably why everyone is up in arms over CGC's response - and why I think there will never be another one.

for sure..and you clued in on the most important ...'everyone'

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, Pantodude said:

"The grade assigned will take into consideration the grade of the acetate cover as well as the interior book." 

@CGC Mike Hi there.  I know you expressed an inability to answer some of the prior questions, which perhaps went a bit beyond the four-corners of the announcment.   But could CGC at least clarify the above highlighted statement? 

Does this mean that the qualified grade of the book will start from the grade of the original book as if the acetate cover and related addional staples and holes were not there, but then be adjusted downward to account for the presence of the extra stapes and holes?  

(shrug)

220942f6-8010-4a91-bf47-d140989fba31_text.gif.e000ea6d1b3ffe25585d42216d8d7274.gif

On 8/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, The Drizzle said:

The problem is that you want to slab high school reproductions of classic comics as authentic comics :makepoint:

no, not want...I said, I don't care if they do..but we are going around in circles..jumping off now

On 8/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, toro said:

If the publisher hasn't approved adding an acetate cover, but an established artist does one and you add it on is that okay?  Yes it will have a green label, but will CGC grade something not approved by the publisher, since in the case of UF4 it still has Marvel's name on it.  Do they get to give the go ahead or can a Black Flag just do this on their own?

I’ll consult the magic 8 ball

On 8/23/2022 at 12:06 PM, Buzzetta said:

Because the "conflict" is that it goes against prior grading precedent.  Again, in the past, comics altered to this degree were given a grade designation of NG.

@theCapraAegagrus I see what you mean now. 

CGC has changed precedent several times-pressing for one example.  Tape for another.