• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, FFB said:

I'm aware that they are out in the wild.  I'm also aware that someone who spent nearly $2k for a blue label CGC 9.9 would almost certainly be unwilling to send it back to CGC just because they asked nicely.  

This is precisely why I suggest that they yank the certification numbers for all blue label Universal graded copies of this book now, before they start selling on the secondary market and create the impression that these are the "rarest of the rare." The books probably won't sell for a record price if their cert numbers aren't valid, and if they do sell for a high price once because some fool who can't wait to be parted with his money doesn't check the certification before buying, the problem is at least less likely to persist beyond that.

I don’t think it’s fair to just pull the certs out from under the buyer.  The book was a ‘legitimate’ CGC Blue label Universal at the time of purchase.   I would think CGC would need to compensate that buyer for their own mistake.

No?

On 8/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, greggy said:

Goldin auctions recently invalidated a sale of a Tom Brady rookie after before and after photos show that there were some obvious alterations were done to it to make it from a PSA 6.0 to 8.0.  The sale was for $54K so it wasn't an immaterial amount. 

How can they invalidate a sale?  Were they selling the card?  I know they can invalidate the card itself even post grading.   I cannot find anything concrete, but what did PSA do with the Honus Wagner card after the Mastro situation? 

On 8/24/2022 at 6:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don’t think it’s fair to just pull the certs out from under the buyer.  The book was a ‘legitimate’ CGC Blue label Universal at the time of purchase.   I would think CGC would need to compensate that buyer for their own mistake.

No?

I agree and I put some of the blame on black flag the "publisher" cause they're the ones to "manufacture" it?

All parties apparently agreed on it to begin with, but we wouldn't even know that if not for a cgc response. Both cgc and Crain are trying to do the remainder as a free in house signing?

That's my understanding while back flag was posted in pics hiding being trolled on social at comic con? You'd think they'd want to get on some kind of fast track #releaseeconomytier

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/24/2022 at 4:34 PM, Buzzetta said:

How can they invalidate a sale?  Were they selling the card?  I know they can invalidate the card itself even post grading.   I cannot find anything concrete, but what did PSA do with the Honus Wagner card after the Mastro situation? 

They were selling it on behalf of the consignor so I guess they didn't want to take the heat for selling it. 

I have no clue with respect to the Honus Wagner other than it's still in the Diamondback collection. 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:32 PM, greggy said:

I'm going to watch it on this channel.  

Will be opened in 30 minutes

I have a window then for this and Dueling Dealers tonight. 

They are already talking about repackaged boxes with other things and referring to (was it) the Pokemon box where GI Joe cards were pulled.  This is like I have said many times, VHS and now one of my friends has revealed, Video Games have often been resealed using factory cello wrap.   If that was possible in the 80's and 90's I can only imagine what people are capable of today. 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No?

Buyer? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

The person who had it graded should be refunded, yes

And if the case is they sold it for 200x what they paid to have it graded, they can suck it

On 8/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, The Meta said:

Buyer? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

The person who had it graded should be refunded, yes

And if the case is they sold it for 200x what they paid to have it graded, they can suck it

I think the only thing they are entitled to is the grading fees. 

Whatever they paid for the book itself is part of their own dumb actions.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:38 PM, Buzzetta said:

I have a window then for this and Dueling Dealers tonight. 

They are already talking about repackaged boxes with other things and referring to (was it) the Pokemon box where GI Joe cards were pulled.  This is like I have said many times, VHS and now one of my friends has revealed, Video Games have often been resealed using factory cello wrap.   If that was possible in the 80's and 90's I can only imagine what people are capable of today. 

Was some of this something to do with Nintendo? I saw a link but scrolled past, I was interested though (thumbsu

On 8/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, Buzzetta said:

Thats what I meant 

Also tried to insert the one who was stupid enough to buy it from the original submitter

On 8/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, Buzzetta said:

Again which was purchased from black flag? Possibly they're having grading fees refunded? Hence the silence on their part?

On 8/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, Buzzetta said:

Really?

The book was Universal CGC 9.9 at the time

Now CGC says whoops....it’s a green label?

I don’t think so.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No?

:canofworms:

@greggy

I cannot listen to those guys anymore... lol 

I am going to watch on the Whatnot channel itself as Goldin breaks open the Fleer Basketball box.  This could be epic or it could be Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's vault. 

https://www.whatnot.com/live/ac7a0e9e-edf9-4e0e-8fbb-5adb9d31ca50

That is the link to the Whatnot stream.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Buy the book not the grade :baiting:

If you want to read it, sure... but if you're buying graded comics the grade needs to mean something... and apparently, if I understood all this drama correctly,  GCG was grading stamped plastic covers as comics... so they now will decide to grade it was a comic and look at the comic too? what happened before they missed there was a comic stapled inside the plastic... this really doesn't make any sense to me...