• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone please take a look at these books if it looks legit?
3 3

18 posts in this topic

I see nothing about the books that makes them appear to be fake. At the same time, I see posts like this on a regular basis, and it is usually because somebody is being offered amazing books like these at a phenomenal price.  If that stack of books is legit, they are worth tens of thousands of dollars.

And yet, if you offered me that stack for, say, $3000, I would pass unless I could inspect the books in person. Generally, a post like this leads to a scam 100% of the time.  There are all kinds of ways books could be made to look like the real thing in photos, and yet still be complete garbage.

More information about where the photo came from could help to ascertain authenticity.  If they came from somebody who claims they know nothing about comics, run away fast.

It is posted on a secondhand website where people usually dont list comics. This guy listed it for 50 dollars and it is actually became a bidding war right now. the bid is at 1500 dollars. The thing is that this site is not like e-Bay, theres no bidding on the actually listing. Buyers have to message him in the app one by one, the security in the app is good though. When you buy something in the app, you actually sends the money to the app and after you received the items you got 24 hours to file a return. So the app will not send the money to the seller until the buyer approves.

This old man did not know that these were fakes, so he contacted me and said that he is sorry for the ad and he has removed it from the site. He said that because it is glued and not stapled this book is a fake and he didnt knew that. Poor old man thought he might have held a life changing collectibles.

image.jpeg.1e444bb920e104a031587da9b0a88923.jpegimage.jpeg.625cb325e0dbf39d404f4d401fc0b63e.jpeg

On 8/12/2022 at 5:15 AM, Flexicat said:

It is posted on a secondhand website where people usually dont list comics. This guy listed it for 50 dollars and it is actually became a bidding war right now. the bid is at 1500 dollars. The thing is that this site is not like e-Bay, theres no bidding on the actually listing. Buyers have to message him in the app one by one, the security in the app is good though. When you buy something in the app, you actually sends the money to the app and after you received the items you got 24 hours to file a return. So the app will not send the money to the seller until the buyer approves.

Can you request more or better pictures? 

The thing that gives me pause is how white that DD1 is.  I have seen copies that white before, so it's not impossible, but copies like that are super rare and very expensive. 

If these books were all legit, I'm guessing anyone with the internet could quickly tell that they have extremely valuable books that would be better served in a big auction. 

If a deal looks to good to be true,  it probably is. 

For sure the spideys are fake.  They are color copies. Look at the wraps. They are 100% identical.   
agree on the DD 1.  Very unnatural white cover.  Most likely color copy or facsimile.  
by default I’ll say the hulks are bunk.  I’d ask for pics of back and insides

On 8/12/2022 at 5:15 AM, Flexicat said:

Here's another way to think about it.  Somebody who knows absolutely nothing about comics would never just happen to end up with these exact five books, especially in the condition they appear to be.  Somebody who knows a little about comics would know not to sell them on a little-known platform.

Somebody with enough Internet savvy to use the app you describe would also be able to Google these books and easily learn their value and find more appropriate sales platforms.  

Unless I could hold the books in hand, I wouldn't touch the deal.  And I wouldn't go out of my way to hold them in my hand, because I know exactly what I'd find:  fakes.

Edited by SOTIcollector