• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about staples and how they affect grades
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First time on the Board.  

I was looking at a Mad #5 Gaines Pedigree CGC 9.6 in an upcoming ComicLink auction, and was surprised to see the staples appear to be right through the front cover:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmad%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1610951&id=1610951&itemType=0#detail

Is this normal to have comics graded like this even though it appears to have been a pretty serious printing defect?  

I appreciate any thoughts and insight you might be able to offer.

Many thanks

Panda2

Might affect appearance and resale value, but not the actual grade

There are a number of 'defects' or issues that are not punished by a lower grade due to their origin in the manufacturing process. As you read and research these boards you will become familiar with them. Welcome by the way, and hope you enjoy all the cool threads on here!

On 8/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, Panda2 said:

Is this normal to have comics graded like this even though it appears to have been a pretty serious printing defect? 

Manufacturing defects are allowable up to 9.8 in grade. So yes, this is normal because I wouldn't consider it a, "pretty serious defect".

Thanks everyone this is super helpful. I have been collecting for years but just now getting into high grade books so obviously a lot to learn!  

On a related note, is the misalignment between the cover and the interior (ie white showing along the top and right side) also considered an acceptable thing?  

I guess I always thought that mint meant mint. 

Cheers and thanks again!

Panda2

On 8/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, Panda2 said:

Hi all,

First time on the Board.  

I was looking at a Mad #5 Gaines Pedigree CGC 9.6 in an upcoming ComicLink auction, and was surprised to see the staples appear to be right through the front cover:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmad%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1610951&id=1610951&itemType=0#detail

I appreciate any thoughts and insight you might be able to offer.

Many thanks

Panda2

Hi Panda, that Mad is gorgeous! Imperfect staple placement in this era isn't a defect at all, more so the rule. The only consistency with old comics is their inconsistency. When looking at any particular issue it's often helpful to go straight to the top (like you've already done here) and see what's being allowed. If you see defects present in a 9.8 then you can assume they're allowed for that issue all the way down, and you may be surprised at what's allowed. If you're interested, try searching the Heritage Auction sold items and look for 9.8 CGCs. You'll see 9.8 defects you never imagined were acceptable.

The best one can hope for regarding the condition of any comic is going to be whatever condition the comic originally appeared in. The ideals we imagine don't apply when they never existed. There are exceptions to this, and those copies are sometimes the ones for which 9.9 and 10 are saved.

Edited by KirbyTown

Thanks I appreciate it. I guess my concern is that I haven’t yet figured out whether fraud is a thing in higher end books, and when contemplating spending a decent amount of cash, better safe than sorry. I did note that it’s a recent grading with a new pedigree label etc. 

I love the old early Mads. 

Really appreciate all the feedback/advice!