• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer’s recourse on auction sites?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I bought a 9.0 SA Spectre on a comiclink auction. The pictures on the auction looked good but when the book arrived the cover is detached at both staples and there are chips that have come out of the back cover and are now floating in the case ( not visible in the auction pictures and there was no back cover picture on the auction).  I’m sure it was a 9 at one point, but sadly no longer. As I am new to online auctions, I should have noted that the grading was done 20 years ago ( I wonder if people worry about post-grading degradation?). 

I’m not super fussed about it as it wasn’t terribly expensive, but I am wondering if anyone has had success in situations like these?  CLINK terms are pretty clear that they assume no responsibility. 

Do the different auction sites ( ie this that have the item on hand vs this that might not) work differently in this regard?

Many thanks!

Panda2

I would bring it up with comiclink either way, and try to resolve with customer service.

Lay out the case using pictures, dates, all the information you have, like a convincing legal case.

And then if you don't get satisfaction then call them out publicly on social media.  

Don't exaggerate, dont' get emotional, just lay it out.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't,  but the result won't get worse than it already is.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, Panda2 said:

Hi all,

So I bought a 9.0 SA Spectre on a comiclink auction. The pictures on the auction looked good but when the book arrived the cover is detached at both staples and there are chips that have come out of the back cover and are now floating in the case ( not visible in the auction pictures and there was no back cover picture on the auction).  I’m sure it was a 9 at one point, but sadly no longer. As I am new to online auctions, I should have noted that the grading was done 20 years ago ( I wonder if people worry about post-grading degradation?). 

I’m not super fussed about it as it wasn’t terribly expensive, but I am wondering if anyone has had success in situations like these?  CLINK terms are pretty clear that they assume no responsibility. 

Do the different auction sites ( ie this that have the item on hand vs this that might not) work differently in this regard?

Many thanks!

Panda2

ComicLink results disappear for the public, but if you still have access to your page would you mind copying and pasting those images here along with front and back photos of what you received? If there's a misrepresentation then that it's important.

Thanks for the advice - I have emailed them pics that clearly show that the cover was detached in the listing with no mention of it.  I have attached botht eh listing and some pics I took of the book I received.  You can see the misalignment in both the listing and my pics.  Interestingly, you can also see the chipping and flakes under the L and exclamation mark in the listing.  We will see what they say.  And my bad, it was an 8.5 :)

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

IMG_E6393.JPG

Thanks, the pics really help.  It's clear that there is damage that happened to the book after it was graded and encased.  Most specifically the damage to the bottom of the back cover where the broken pieces are floating in the case next to where they were detached.   It also appears the cover is entirely detached from the book and has shifted quite a bit and that type of defect wouldn't grade close to 8.5.  This book has obviously sustained serious damage since it was graded and that should be pointed out in the auction text.

If you've sent all these pictures to comiclink I'd imagine they'll realize they made an error and make this right.  Please keep us updated as to the outcome.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, Ed Hanes said:

curious, have you checked the grader's notes?

Grader Notes
Right Bottom Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color
Right Top Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color
Spine Small Chip Out
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Graded in 2000.  Makes me wary about older slabbed books and what might have happened in the meantime

On 8/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Panda2 said:
Grader Notes
Spine Small Chip Out

Graded in 2000.  Makes me wary about older slabbed books and what might have happened in the meantime

Yeah, my thinking was this book was on the cusp of being brittle, the notes paint a possible brittle history ...maybe someone left it in bright light for a long time and it became even more brittle, so with just a little more jostling , the cover would detach. I won't buy slabs graded this old anymore...I've had a couple experiences like yours..hope clink helps you out

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, Panda2 said:
Grader Notes
Spine Small Chip Out

I prefer the older cases but when buying any graded book you should examine scans or pictures to see if you can shot any damage that may have happened after grading.  The longer a book has been in a case the more chance that damage may have occurred.  

On 8/22/2022 at 11:58 AM, Ed Hanes said:

Yeah, my thinking was this book was on the cusp of being brittle, the notes paint a possible brittle history ...maybe someone left it in bright light for a long time and it became even more brittle, so with just a little more jostling , the cover would detach. I won't buy slabs graded this old anymore...I've had a couple experiences like yours..hope clink helps you out

I'm not a fan of brittle pages but to be fair it looks like this book was used to hammer nails.   

On 8/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, Panda2 said:

Thanks for the advice - I have emailed them pics that clearly show that the cover was detached in the listing with no mention of it.  I have attached botht eh listing and some pics I took of the book I received.  You can see the misalignment in both the listing and my pics.  Interestingly, you can also see the chipping and flakes under the L and exclamation mark in the listing.  We will see what they say.  And my bad, it was an 8.5 :)

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

IMG_E6393.JPG

Thank you for following up!

So Kudos to ComicLink - within a day of emailing them with pics, they responded with a couple of questions, and then asked me to ship the book back to them for a refund.  All in all a very positive experience with them when I had essentially written it off as a loss.

Thanks to all on this board for your suggestions and help!

Cheers, Panda2

On 8/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, Panda2 said:

So Kudos to ComicLink - within a day of emailing them with pics, they responded with a couple of questions, and then asked me to ship the book back to them for a refund.  All in all a very positive experience with them when I had essentially written it off as a loss.

Thanks to all on this board for your suggestions and help!

Cheers, Panda2

Congrats!!