• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking dead - did this end too low?

43 posts in this topic

Just saw this result for a walking dead splash on HA ($780): https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/charlie-adlard-the-walking-dead-9-splash-page-22-original-art-image-2004-/a/322233-48003.s?type=DA-DMC-ComicArtTracker-ComicArt-322233-08102022

I don’t follow that market at all, but $780 for an early splash seemed low to me. What is your view? No horse in this race at all, just scanning for market weakness 😀.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

Yes it did I don’t think it’s a trend as other later pages have gone for much higher recently… think it just slipped through the cracks

The Walking Dead is all about zombies. This had no zombies, just a not-great Rick pointing a gun in someone's mouth. Along with that, it's early Adlard art before he found his trademark style later in the series.

Just because it's a splash doesn't make it worth more. Those recent sales of later panel pages all had zombies getting taken apart by Rick or Michonne. Those pages, if you chose to display them, would look good on a wall. This one? Not so much. Maybe what you're seeing in the price isn't weakness in the market, it's just a really weak page. At $780, it's worth buying to flip later for $1k? Not for me, but obviously someone saw value in it.

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 8/22/2022 at 3:24 PM, KirbyCollector said:

As a former law enforcement officer (and 20+ year gun owner), images like this make me grit my teeth. In light of recent violent events, I suspect I'm not the only one who feels turned off by art like this -- another factor which may have contributed to the lower price.

Ding ding ding!

I haven't had much time to follow auctions otherwise I might have had a cheeky bid myself as this did go low. However, I have to agree that it doesn't have as much appeal/wall appeal without the horror aspect coming through. There's definitely a lot less "pump" going on with TWD prices but there are still a decent amount of collectors out there. Personally would be happy for the prices to come down a bit.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, delekkerste said:

I think there has been a lot of Walking Dead fatigue the past several years...many stopped watching the show when the quality declined 4-5 seasons ago (it has arguably rebounded, but, many people never came back), the show's spin-offs added to zombie fatigue, there was just so much supply of the art available at all times, and the comic series ended. 

That said, I believe in the fullness of time, people will eventually miss it and look back on the franchise very fondly. It was, after all, one of the very biggest pop culture phenomenons of the past decade.

Also this.

Also, Heritage did a terrible job of publicizing the last several auction cycles. I would not be happy as the consignor. No images of the art on CAF showing it's coming up for sale, and worse some of the scans for the pieces weren't even uploaded on HA until the day before/of the auction starting.

A nice early page from issue 12, nothing crazy, but having a panel with some zombie kills got it to about 2k on ebay today. So TWD isn't soft for the right pieces marketed in the right venues.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, KirbyCollector said:

As a former law enforcement officer (and 20+ year gun owner), images like this make me grit my teeth. In light of recent violent events, I suspect I'm not the only one who feels turned off by art like this -- another factor which may have contributed to the lower price.

Personally I think it's a badass Rick Grimes splash and I was stoked to bid, hopefully win, and intended to put an overlay on it with the word balloon bc the dialogue is what makes the splash. I know the person who won it and is very excited to have such an early splash with Rick from the series.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:23 PM, Phill the Governor said:

It ended low because I lost power in my building and was preoccupied not being able to bid. I would have gone much higher myself.

:)

Yeah. I would have bid too had I noticed happy the new owner is excited to have it. Guess that happens sometimes, but I do wonder if Heritage and other auction houses lose out when it comes to more frugal collectors who could raise the floor on smaller pieces.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:22 PM, Garf said:

:)

Yeah. I would have bid too had I noticed happy the new owner is excited to have it. Guess that happens sometimes, but I do wonder if Heritage and other auction houses lose out when it comes to more frugal collectors who could raise the floor on smaller pieces.

I think the splash would have fared much better on ebay.

More people have ebay accounts that would be available to and would bid on something like this.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

The Walking Dead is all about zombies. This had no zombies, just a not-great Rick pointing a gun in someone's mouth. Along with that, it's early Adlard art before he found his trademark style later in the series.

Just because it's a splash doesn't make it worth more. Those recent sales of later panel pages all had zombies getting taken apart by Rick or Michonne. Those pages, if you chose to display them, would look good on a wall. This one? Not so much. Maybe what you're seeing in the price isn't weakness in the market, it's just a really weak page. At $780, it's worth buying to flip later for $1k? Not for me, but obviously someone saw value in it.

This definitely has some truth in it.

I think even on an off day, it would have done much better had it had the word balloon. An unfortunate feature of modern OA...

On 8/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, Phill the Governor said:

A nice early page from issue 12, nothing crazy, but having a panel with some zombie kills got it to about 2k on ebay today. So TWD isn't soft for the right pieces marketed in the right venues.

It's a fantastic page - I was hoping it would fly under the radar, but, it obviously didn't. Congrats to whoever picked it up. 

On 8/20/2022 at 11:13 AM, oldwhy said:

Just saw this result for a walking dead splash on HA ($780): https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/charlie-adlard-the-walking-dead-9-splash-page-22-original-art-image-2004-/a/322233-48003.s?type=DA-DMC-ComicArtTracker-ComicArt-322233-08102022

I don’t follow that market at all, but $780 for an early splash seemed low to me. What is your view? No horse in this race at all, just scanning for market weakness 😀.

Has anyone mentioned it's only roughly 9"x11" in image size? 

35%-50% smaller than the image size or page size of other pages from that part of the run (before all of Adlards pages shrunk). 

Tiny, Zombie-less, Weekly Auction, lots of reasons. 

On 8/23/2022 at 11:42 AM, comix4fun said:

35%-50% smaller than the image size or page size of other pages from that part of the run (before all of Adlards pages shrunk). 

For a close-up shot of 3 characters, I think the 9 x 11.5" image size works fine. It didn't strike me as feeling small or sparse; there's just a little extra space up top which could easily be filled up with word balloons if one felt so inclined, as I've seen @Phill the Governor do with some of the pages he owns.

I would have guessed low $1000s (like $1100-1300) on this one. No, it's not great and is not going to be everyone's cup of tea given the gun-in-the-face theme and lack of zombies*, but $780 seems like it slipped through the cracks for a Rick splash from the first 10 issues of the run. 2c 

* That said, I think there are plenty of great zombie-less pages in the run.

Edited by delekkerste

On 8/23/2022 at 11:42 AM, comix4fun said:

The larger TWD Adlard pgs from issues 7-35 were on 11x17" image boards, Adlard switched to the drawing smaller/ with smaller boards with issue 35/36 until 115. Not that it makes too much of a distinction but now that you mention it Heritage inaccurately described the measurements of the art area since is actually about 9" x 13.5".

On 8/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, delekkerste said:

For a close-up shot of 3 characters, I think the 9 x 11.5" image size works fine. It didn't and still doesn't strike me as being small or sparse; there's just a little extra space up top which could easily be filled up with word balloons if one felt so inclined, as I've seen @Phill the Governor do with some of the pages he owns.

I would have guessed low $1000s (like $1100-1300) on this one. No, it's not great and is not going to be everyone's cup of tea given the gun-in-the-face theme and lack of zombies*, but $780 seems like it slipped through the cracks for a Rick splash from the first 10 issues of the run. 2c 

* That said, I think there are plenty of great zombie-less pages in the run.

Totally agree Gene. :cheers:

Especially that last part. The zombie pages/scenes are gravy as far as I'm concerned since the success of the story and franchise has always been about the characters and their trials and tribulations. That's what got me hooked in the first place.