• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to store CGC books

55 posts in this topic

I am in the process of building custom cabinets for storing my books.  Each drawer will hold 4 books, 20 drawers per cabinet, 3 cabinets so 240 CGC books single layer, 480 max.  Picture is the prototype drawer for making a jig off of given how many drawers I need to make.

IMG_5242.jpg

On 8/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I have read on here that people use safety deposit boxes at the bank.  The thing you have to check on in that case is the environmental control - sometimes the entire HVAC system is shut down overnight which might lead to problems.

the correct term is Safe Deposit Box. I'm not trying to talk down to you but you see Safe Deposit Boxes are a little side hobby of mine. I find their history fascinating and I'm here to educate the masses 

On 8/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, lostboys said:

I'm constantly looking at my books so getting to the bottom of a huge stack is a lot of work

Agree, it's a huge downside to stacking.

I imagine the drawers of your wood cabinets are usually closed (you showed them in another thread); have you noticed any obvious long-term effect on the contents? Due to off-gassing I guess?

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, Krismusic said:
On 8/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, valiantman said:

I switched from stacking to storing them spine down.  I got tired of cracking the cases just about every time I needed to pull a book.

1090716715_cgcshelf1.jpg.9c1483dc7c2e06de72683acda647ce08.jpg

Looks like u need some tape to secure those flaps lol 

Those are sleeping bags. Don't seal the top unless you want the one inside to suffocate. :kidaround:

On 8/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I have read on here that people use safety deposit boxes at the bank.  The thing you have to check on in that case is the environmental control - sometimes the entire HVAC system is shut down overnight which might lead to problems.

yeah, where i live (and maybe you do too) i recently found that the banks dont have AC in the bank box rooms. unheard of in a place like LA, in oregon they never needed it until lately. i moved my bigger books to a different bank whose vault seems to stay cooler on the crazy hot days that sometime happen up here in summer. 

and i've been storing spine down for years in the safe boxes. stacking seems bad, alot of weight and pressure over time on the bottom books. 

Edited by alexgross.com

On 8/24/2022 at 9:26 PM, batman_fan said:

I am in the process of building custom cabinets for storing my books.  Each drawer will hold 4 books, 20 drawers per cabinet, 3 cabinets so 240 CGC books single layer, 480 max.  Picture is the prototype drawer for making a jig off of given how many drawers I need to make.

IMG_5242.jpg

Nice I was thinking of doing something like that with the ikea pax wardrobes boxes and betting my own sliding drawers or using their sliding drawer hardware 

On 8/25/2022 at 9:35 AM, valiantman said:

Those are sleeping bags. Don't seal the top unless you want the one inside to suffocate. :kidaround:

Well if I tape over the flap and allow a little space air still gets inside.. I recently went through and used archival graded bags and sealed the tops should I have left them open? 

On 8/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Krismusic said:
On 8/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, valiantman said:

Well if I tape over the flap and allow a little space air still gets inside.. I recently went through and used archival graded bags and sealed the tops should I have left them open? 

Nah, you're fine. There's just no need to seal them up.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:26 PM, batman_fan said:

IMG_5242.jpg

Nice !

Unfortunately these drawers are not quite wide enough to fit four slabs so I had to get creative. I have 22 in this drawer.

3 stacks of 4 underneath.

2 stacks of 5 on top.

20220825_172345.jpg

20220825_172640.jpg

20220825_172703.jpg

Edited by lostboys

On 8/25/2022 at 4:11 AM, KirbyTown said:

Agree, it's a huge downside to stacking.

I imagine the drawers of your wood cabinets are usually closed (you showed them in another thread); have you noticed any obvious long-term effect on the contents? Due to off-gassing I guess?

I've only had these for 2 years but no, nothing yet.

I open them everyday. They never sit closed for long periods of time. 

On 8/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, I Am The Answer! said:

I use Hon legal size file cabinets.  All books are stored spine side down.  I also have Collectibles Insurance.

20220825_180754.jpg

20220825_180957.jpg

This is what I've long wanted, but where can you find them cheap? I check ebay and they were like $200 per cabinet and that's before shipping...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/25/2022 at 6:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is what I've long wanted, but where can you find them cheap? I check ebay and they were like $200 per cabinet and that's before shipping...

Call some law offices in your area and ask if they have any metal file cabinets they want to get rid of.

Lawyers aren't using as much paper these days. The cabinets take up a ton of office space and it's expensive to junk them so law offices are littered with them.