• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do I Trade Comics at NYCC with Vendors?
3 3

56 posts in this topic

Hey all,

This may be self-explanatory, but I was wondering if any of you can give me any info about the best way to go about trading comics at NYCC, preferably with vendors. I've never brought books to the con with intention of trading them. I have some keys that I'd like to trade for some EC Comics, preferably raw. I've got a Silver Surfer 1 VG, Werewolf by Night 32 CGC 4.5, Green Lantern 9 VG, FF 52 CBCS 3.0, Jungle Action 6 CGC 8.5, Hulk 181 CBCS 9.0, and a few others. It seems better to try and just trade with people rather than sell online, pay fees and shipping, etc.

If any of you know a good starting place or any good vendors of EC (Tales From the Crypt, Haunt of Fear, Vault of Horror) please let me know! Otherwise I'll just show up and try to make some deals :) 

Thanks in advance!

On 8/23/2022 at 9:45 AM, AJD said:

If you are going to try to trade with dealers/vendors, be prepared to get less value from your books than you would if you sold them. My advice would be to sell them here on the boards for FMV or a little less, where the pain and fees are minimised. A dealer might go as low as 50% value.

Oh, wow, I didn't know a dealer might go as low as 50% value. I've never sold on here on the boards. How does it work? 

Wow, thanks so much, guys!

I will definitely spend some time familiarizing myself with how it all works before posting anything. 

My first question was going to be how do I know the buyer is trustworthy. Seems kind of crazy buying and selling on here when you are essentially just sending / receiving money and comics with someone you don't know via DMs. Do you wait to receive payment before sending books or vice versa? It makes sense to deal with people on the forums that have a reputation for being trustworthy and are "known".

It's great though because everyone is super helpful on here! 

On 8/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, yoda12288 said:

Wow, thanks so much, guys!

I will definitely spend some time familiarizing myself with how it all works before posting anything. 

My first question was going to be how do I know the buyer is trustworthy. Seems kind of crazy buying and selling on here when you are essentially just sending / receiving money and comics with someone you don't know via DMs. Do you wait to receive payment before sending books or vice versa? It makes sense to deal with people on the forums that have a reputation for being trustworthy and are "known".

It's great though because everyone is super helpful on here! 

Generally speaking, the buyers and sellers here are trustworthy.  Almost all of them have "Kudos" threads where you can read about their transactions, happy customers, etc.  I've had dozens of transactions (mostly buying) and had only one problem where a book arrived with some undisclosed damage.  As a seller, you set the terms of payment - i.e. Paypal G&S or check or whatever so you're in control there.  I'm not familiar with how PayPal works, but it seems to me there are some protections that make it harder to get ripped off if you're using it.  I am a personal check payer, so sellers just hold my books until my check clears their bank.  I have no problem waiting for this to happen.

All the best.  I think you'd find selling here rewarding and better financially than trying to trade or sell books at a Show.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:13 AM, yoda12288 said:

Do you wait to receive payment before sending books or vice versa?

ALWAYS wait to receive payment before sending books.  

If a buyer tries to pressure you into sending the books first, that's a major red flag.

Edited by tth2

On 8/24/2022 at 8:55 AM, batman_fan said:
On 8/24/2022 at 1:11 AM, Aman619 said:

walk up to any booth selling similar vintage comics.  Politely say you want to trade your comics.  and bend over. lol 

you left off the lube step.  Folks, don't forget the lube step

Some dealers will try to convince you that you don't need lube.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:44 PM, tth2 said:

Things to Keep in Mind When Dealing with Dealers:

1.  How can you tell if they're lying?  Their lips are moving or fingers are typing.

2.  Imagine the scummiest thing that you can think of a person doing to you, and then double it.

Now you're ready!

There are good dealers.  Not all lie and not all will make rip-off offers.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:47 AM, thehumantorch said:

There are good dealers.  Not all lie and not all will make rip-off offers.

I would characterize it more as some are less bad than others, and some lie less and try to rip you off less than others.