• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[GRADE NOW IN] PGM Thor #133 - 1st full appearance of Ego the Living Planet
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Slight wear on top edge, minor spine stress with 6-7 small color breaking spine ticks, slightly blunted corners, slight spine roll, slight staining on rear cover.

IMO...

8.5 VERY FINE+ (VF+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

Hmm I seem to be a bit harsher than the other responses so far I was thinking around a 7.0 and a 7.5/8.0 with a C&P.

Main concerns are the front spine ticks (particularly the one on Thor above the issue box), front top edge, bends to rear spine and stain to edge of back cover (is this definitely a stain? Initially thought a small piece was missing).

Also I think the price stamp might hurt your grade a bit. I know CGC are meant to turn a bit of a blind eye to UK price stamps but I had a comic back a few months ago with the traditional old UK price stamp and the grader notes called it a store stamp! 

On 8/26/2022 at 8:26 AM, Every Day A Story said:

Would appreciate your thoughts on the possible grade for this Thor #133 from the recent Ian Penman Collection sale. As to be expected, the book will be cleaned and pressed before submission.

Thor_133_A.thumb.jpg.e9afe1aefe002ce90bf89b0b7ba0999a.jpg

Thor_133_B.thumb.jpg.ac835d8f85982a11ee7d0349f998a514.jpg

I'm sure they went out of their way not to show the back :(

There's a lot of staining and breaking there

On 8/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Slight wear on top edge, minor spine stress with 6-7 small color breaking spine ticks, slightly blunted corners, slight spine roll, slight staining on rear cover.

IMO...

Check out the huge breaks on the back; left corners