• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EU seller charging higher for US customers?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

I was interested in buying from a large EU-based seller and noticed there were two prices on his site for each piece: one in euros and the other in dollars. The dollar price was 6-7% higher, which I chalked up to the seller not updating his currency conversions (the dollar is currently worth more than the euro). However, when I contacted him about buying at the euro price, or even adjusting the dollar price to the correct conversion rate, he told me, "US buyers have to pay more because I have to pay more for US product." Now, I know that two-tier pricing within the EU is illegal (you can't charge someone more just because they live outside of your home country). Does anyone know if this applies to EU-US transactions? It did not leave me with a good feeling.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I was interested in buying from a large EU-based seller and noticed there were two prices on his site for each piece: one in euros and the other in dollars. The dollar price was 6-7% higher, which I chalked up to the seller not updating his currency conversions (the dollar is currently worth more than the euro). However, when I contacted him about buying at the euro price, or even adjusting the dollar price to the correct conversion rate, he told me, "US buyers have to pay more because I have to pay more for US product." Now, I know that two-tier pricing within the EU is illegal (you can't charge someone more just because they live outside of your home country). Does anyone know if this applies to EU-US transactions? It did not leave me with a good feeling.

No, but his reason makes no sense. If he has to pay more, then everyone he decides to sell to should pay more. With that said, currency conversions don’t necessarily take into account the additional costs for conversions. I bought something from Britain recently, put it on my credit card, and was shocked at how much “vig” was added. He may have meant something like that for his transactional costs on his end.