• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanning
1 1

5 posts in this topic

No, I am not thinking about deepening my complexion : )

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a 9.6 book from the 70s, at around current FMV.

The grader's notes indicate 'light tanning' on the back (largely white) cover.

1. What exactly is tanning?  And to what extent is it frowned upon the the collecting community?  Would you typically be willing to buy a book at FMV with light tanning?

2. The other graders note indicate 'light spine stress lines to cover'. Does CGC specifically denote if the stress lines break colour, or is the phrase used universally for non-colour breaking and colour breaking lines?

Very much appreciate any advice.  Cheers.

Edited by Chudders

On 8/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, Chudders said:

1. What exactly is tanning?  And to what extent is it frowned upon the the collecting community?  Would you typically be willing to buy a book at FMV with light tanning?

2. The other graders note indicate 'light spine stress lines to cover'. Does CGC specifically denote if the stress lines break colour, or is the phrase used universally for non-colour breaking and colour breaking lines?

Very much appreciate any advice.  Cheers.

1. It's exactly what you'd think it is. Depending on severity, it can be one of the worst defects you come across. "Light tanning" doesn't sound bad, but for me, it'll depend on placement. If the whole cover is tanned, that's actually better (to me) than only part of it being tanned (think bikini vs no bikini).
  2. Generally, CGC will specify if they break color, but I have seen cases when they have not said "BREAKS COLOR" and the lines did break color.

Tanning in my experience generally creeps from the outer edges inwards over time. On inside pages id rather see edges tanned and the comic panels still white (more likely off white by the time the edges are tan,) than pages all over tan. I've come to enjoy white pages recently. On the back cover only? Not much of an issue to me provided it's not too dark.