• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Collection
1 1

98 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 10:04 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's a good point - a bad experience can corrupt a persons outlook on any time in their life, or place. We know a lot about his crankiness, but so much of that was likely born of his frustration about how he was treated. Or not, I don't know. Those close to him likely knew. The rest of us are guessing. 

Yeah - I agree. From an artistic perspective - your work is a tangible thing you can hold in your hands and look at long after completion, whether it's the original, a tear sheet or sample. This is something that a lot of people don't really experience - because most people work jobs and careers that produce something that leaves when the customer closes the door, or hangs up the phone. Creating art and discarding it en massé over bad feelings is not easy.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:13 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

There are shady and crummy auction houses, I assure you. (I know you know this though Shad, and are just doing your usual devil's advocate routine)

Which comic auction house would you call prestigious?  I spent a small fortune on the first Christies auction and ended up with runs of color touched books.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:47 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Yes, that's obvious. I didn't mean disrespect, but I do think it's unsavory to keep mentioning you met Ditko a handful of times and direct people to your other threads about it, especially because you're using it as some foundation for you having some special insight. 4 times and a half hour conversation, wow...! 

The reason for this is because Mr. Ditko was private. People who got a tense and short letter from him broadcast it, like it makes them unique. There's a FB group for such letters, and I respect Craig Yoe very much who runs it, but- this is dishonoring Steve Ditko all to get a little attention and it rubs me the wrong way. I met him and knew him and exchanged a lot more with him than you did which is why your "this is how he was" in passing to other members here is kind of bemusing. Cherish the times you got to speak to him. Don't use it as a platform to talk about yourself- you're a lot less interesting than Ditko.

LOL! I registered here 3/27/02 and rarely post, compared to other boardies. Trust me, this isn't about me. You and I both know that this auction would have never been sanctioned by Steve if he were alive today. Period. This is just a simple cash grab by interested parties that have a huge financial gain. It seems to me that you also have a vested interest in this auction. hm 

On 8/31/2022 at 12:16 PM, shadroch said:

Which comic auction house would you call prestigious?  I spent a small fortune on the first Christies auction and ended up with runs of color touched books.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I don't think Ivan is at a COMIC auction house, rather he's somewhere that specializes in many things but HE is the person in charge of comic acquisitions, as far as I remember. Honest question Shad, in all seriousness- did Christies rectify that for you?

On 8/31/2022 at 9:19 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I'm sorry that happened to you. I don't think Ivan is at a COMIC auction house, rather he's somewhere that specializes in many things but HE is the person in charge of comic acquisitions, as far as I remember. Honest question Shad, in all seriousness- did Christies rectify that for you?

Nope. They took no responsibility.  Back then, many dealers were promoting restored books as improvements.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:18 PM, mr_highgrade said:

LOL! I registered here 3/27/02 and rarely post, compared to other boardies. Trust me, this isn't about me. You and I both know that this auction would have never been sanctioned by Steve if he were alive today. Period. This is just a simple cash grab by interested parties that have a huge financial gain. It seems to me that you also have a vested interest in this auction. hm 

I agree with you, Ditko would not be into it- I do think he'd be more indifferent than sanctioning or un-sanctioning, though.

I assure you I have no interest in this auction, or I'd say so and have no needs to keep my interests secret. What I do have a vested interest in is simply that I feel when Ditko talked to people, those people should not share too much of it. You and I both know that bragging about Steve talking to you would never have been sanctioned by Steve if he were alive today.... period. But I'm not trying to single you out. I mean, so many guys who had much less of an experience than you did, who just got one-sentence letters refusing to be interviewed, they share it and boast about it and I think it's disrespectful to Ditko. I never say though that anyone needs to listen to me. Like you, I am sharing my thoughts here.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:00 AM, namisgr said:

It's a message board for comic fans.  I, for one, really enjoy firsthand accounts from someone who met and chatted with Steve Ditko.  I don't view it at all as though the person sharing their story is doing it for any reason other than to make the information available to interested parties like me.

These musings of people who meet others are especially valuable to hobbyists like myself - far removed from the possibility of ever meeting people like that. These little short stories and interactions are fun to hear - sure, people close to those might disagree with brief insights into those people, but I don't think it makes them any less important. And, I don't think people do it solely out of trying to gain attention. They are adding to the hobby with their recollections. That's the great thing about these boards.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:21 PM, shadroch said:

Nope. They took no responsibility.  Back then, many dealers were promoting restored books as improvements.

That sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you. I do remember in the 90s' reading in CB Marketplace some thoughts on restorations, etc.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:22 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I agree with you, Ditko would not be into it- I do think he'd be more indifferent than sanctioning or un-sanctioning, though.

I assure you I have no interest in this auction, or I'd say so and have no needs to keep my interests secret. What I do have a vested interest in is simply that I feel when Ditko talked to people, those people should not share too much of it. You and I both know that bragging about Steve talking to you would never have been sanctioned by Steve if he were alive today.... period. But I'm not trying to single you out. I mean, so many guys who had much less of an experience than you did, who just got one-sentence letters refusing to be interviewed, they share it and boast about it and I think it's disrespectful to Ditko. I never say though that anyone needs to listen to me. Like you, I am sharing my thoughts here.

What if the respectful thing is to elaborate on Ditko's personality from the unique perspective you have from him? I have no dog in this fight, but I think the other side of your viewpoint is that you have thoughts that are also worth expressing about him. He's gone, but his legacy will live on through the people who spent 5 minutes with him to hours to their whole life. Hearing from everyone is probably not a bad thing. The person with a 5 minute interaction won't have as much detail as the guy who spent a few hours with him. I'd love to hear from both.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:52 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Yes.  Actual comic collectors - as opposed to shill accounts just trying to stir up trouble - would agree.

Me a shill account? Or someone else? @mr_highgrade knows I am pulling his leg. I actually enjoyed reading his comments and the old posts about Ditko.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:30 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Me a shill account? Or someone else? @mr_highgrade knows I am pulling his leg. I actually enjoyed reading his comments and the old posts about Ditko.

If actual comic collectors would agree with you, you must be an actual comic collector and not a shill account.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:18 AM, mr_highgrade said:

You would be hard pressed to find anyone who WOULDN’T auction these books off to maximize profit. It’s surprising it’s not with a more well known auction house. 

On 8/31/2022 at 10:33 AM, MattTheDuck said:

If actual comic collectors would agree with you, you must be an actual comic collector and not a shill account.

I haven't had much interaction with BigLeagueCHEW over the years, but I know he ain't no robot.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:05 AM, mr_highgrade said:

I am not buying this, I met and spoke to Steve Ditko at least four different times at his office in NYC. Heck, I even introduced him to Greggy! :sumo: When I asked him if he still had any old Spidey comics, he made it very clear that he didn't want to do anything with Spider-man, because that was in his past. When he returned to Marvel in 1979 he told Jim Shooter that he would draw anything but, Spider-man and Doctor Strange. He even turned down the return of his original art work to Amazing Fantasy #15. 2c

There's probably an old thread that I started when I first met him about 15 years ago or so. Maybe someone can dig it up.

Ah but even in that answer of “I refuse to have anything to do with Spidey” he is not really answering your question. Which sounds like classic Ditko.