• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - Comic Cover Stuck to Comic Bag - Tape?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I recently received a comic book from a store. They are great and I've been doing business with them for years.

When I tried to remove the comic, it would not come out. Thankfully, from learned lessons in the past, I chose to not force it and instead investigate why it's stuck. It appears a section of the cover is stuck to the comic bag (circled in blue in photos). It looks like a piece of tape. The store that sold it to me has agreed to refund my money if, in the process, a piece of the cover detaches and/or the comic gets damaged. At this point, I'm in it more for the adventure. I want to see if I can (1) detach the cover from the comic bag unscathed (2) identify what is stuck to the cover (3) remove it from the cover.

I am looking for any suggestions. My initial though it to slowly apply heat and work up the temp to see if that will detach the cover from the bag.

Thanks in advanced.

AC 428 -2.jpg

AC 428.jpg

On 9/3/2022 at 5:23 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

I recently received a comic book from a store. They are great and I've been doing business with them for years.

When I tried to remove the comic, it would not come out. Thankfully, from learned lessons in the past, I chose to not force it and instead investigate why it's stuck. It appears a section of the cover is stuck to the comic bag (circled in blue in photos). It looks like a piece of tape. The store that sold it to me has agreed to refund my money if, in the process, a piece of the cover detaches and/or the comic gets damaged. At this point, I'm in it more for the adventure. I want to see if I can (1) detach the cover from the comic bag unscathed (2) identify what is stuck to the cover (3) remove it from the cover.

I am looking for any suggestions. My initial though it to slowly apply heat and work up the temp to see if that will detach the cover from the bag.

Thanks in advanced.

AC 428 -2.jpg

AC 428.jpg

Should carefully cut the bag with some small scissors, all around that area and get the bag off, or cut in pieces.  Then you only have that small area left to deal with.  Then a slow, careful lifting may do the trick.

If the tape is not dried out but won't peel off easily you can try a bit of lighter fluid.... or maybe someone knows of a better solvent. Be sure to use backing so that it doesn't get onto interior pages. I've used this method on blister cards with some success. Doesn't seem to stain and evaporates quickly. Good luck.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:35 PM, joeypost said:

Remove as much of the bag as possible and then use a hairdryer to soften the glue. This will help lift the remaining plastic off the cover. And residual glue can be cleaned with naphtha or any solvent that will not lift the ink. Don’t use lacquer thinner or olive oil. I have seen the results of others who tried them on glue. Not pretty. 

I knew Joey would come through with a solution. Particularly like the hairdryer step.  Is there a preferred source for naphtha other than "lighter fluid".  I use this for cleaning many things around the house and at work.

IMG_3846.jpg.ca72c909b2bab79d214067d72ee84f8d.jpg

On 9/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, jokiing said:

Hopefully not among the many banded products here in California.

Could be. I need to have negative air flow out a window when I use this stuff. It’s bad news. 

On 9/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, jokiing said:

I knew Joey would come through with a solution. Particularly like the hairdryer step.  Is there a preferred source for naphtha other than "lighter fluid".  I use this for cleaning many things around the house and at work.

IMG_3846.jpg.ca72c909b2bab79d214067d72ee84f8d.jpg

I’ve tried lighter fluid sparingly over the years on comics and magazines: it always lifted or smeared some ink. Experiment on some lower grade drek from the same era if possible before proceeding with any solvent. 2c

On 9/4/2022 at 12:34 AM, PopKulture said:

I’ve tried lighter fluid sparingly over the years on comics and magazines: it always lifted or smeared some ink. Experiment on some lower grade drek from the same era if possible before proceeding with any solvent. 2c

How is using solvents to clean a book not restoration????

On 9/3/2022 at 9:34 PM, PopKulture said:

As I mentioned, I have used lighter fluid on blister pack cardboard with success but not on comic books. I would think different printing methods give different results. Experimenting is very good advise.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Thanks in advanced.

AC 428 -2.jpg

AC 428.jpg

What grade of book did you purchase? I ask because that sticky residue is definitely on the book and you may be better off simply returning the book as it is rather than trying to "fix" it. You may not have received what you purchased in the first place.