• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Inner Wells?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Was taking inventory earlier and I noticed about 30-40% of my post-2018 slabs have some form of loose inner well. If tilted to the side, I can see the inner well wiggle around 1mm or so.

Has this become the norm for encapsulation, in lieu of Newton Rings? Not sure if it's worth sending any back if it's likely they'll come back the same or worse. Worried about possibility of damage during transport, as well.

Edited by Baka_Oni

I've also found that loose inner wells are pretty common on CGC slabbed books, these days. I got two reholders back recently that both had movement of the inner well. One was worse than the other, so I sent that one in as a Mechanical Error, and notated on the submission form that the inner well was "extremely" loose. CGC fixed the issue and reholdered the book a second time. When I got it back, there was absolutely no movement of the inner well. Also, I have called CGC Customer Service to ask if movement of the inner well was normal, and was told that CGC considers it normal to have some movement of the inner well. This issue used to really annoy me. There was a time, early on in my collecting, when I even returned a slabbed book with a slightly loose inner well to a seller, because I thought the slab was severely defective. The thing is, most slightly loose inner wells will not do any damage to the book inside. It's not the same thing as Shaken Comic Syndrome. So, now I've just come to simply accept slightly loose inner wells as an allowable defect. I am a little disappointed when I get one, but definitely don't freak out anymore. However, I've always wondered if a loose inner well would affect resale value if a seller was actually silly enough to notate it in their listing. 

On 9/8/2022 at 7:46 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

I've also found that loose inner wells are pretty common on CGC slabbed books, these days. I got two reholders back recently that both had movement of the inner well. One was worse than the other, so I sent that one in as a Mechanical Error, and notated on the submission form that the inner well was "extremely" loose. CGC fixed the issue and reholdered the book a second time. When I got it back, there was absolutely no movement of the inner well. Also, I have called CGC Customer Service to ask if movement of the inner well was normal, and was told that CGC considers it normal to have some movement of the inner well. This issue used to really annoy me. There was a time, early on in my collecting, when I even returned a slabbed book with a slightly loose inner well to a seller, because I thought the slab was severely defective. The thing is, most slightly loose inner wells will not do any damage to the book inside. It's not the same thing as Shaken Comic Syndrome. So, now I've just come to simply accept slightly loose inner wells as an allowable defect. I am a little disappointed when I get one, but definitely don't freak out anymore. However, I've always wondered if a loose inner well would affect resale value if a seller was actually silly enough to notate it in their listing. 

I just sent one back in as a ME due to the inner well moving if the slab was tilted in any direction. Customer service indicated to me that this is not normal and the comic should be reholdered so as to prevent any future damage due to the movement. 

On 9/8/2022 at 6:46 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

On 9/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I just sent one back in as a ME due to the inner well moving if the slab was tilted in any direction. Customer service indicated to me that this is not normal and the comic should be reholdered so as to prevent any future damage due to the movement. 

Returning collector, but my older slabs never did this. I guess my main question was how much wiggle is too much wiggle? The irony is that one of the wiggly slabs was one I just got back from ME (hair in holder).

Edited by Baka_Oni

On 9/9/2022 at 5:42 PM, Baka_Oni said:

Returning collector, but my older slabs never did this. I guess my main question was how much wiggle is too much wiggle? The irony is that one of the wiggly slabs was one I just got back from ME (hair in holder).

I just received back another Reholder and it comes back with a loose inner well! I am uncertain what to think anymore!