• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this mold or something else?
4 4

13 posts in this topic

Hello! I am thinking about buying an ASM 15 but am uncertain about whether or not it has mold on bottom right corner of the back cover (see attached picture). Does anyone have any thoughts?  If it is mold, would encapsulating it keep it from spreading or would it continue to deteriorate? Thanks so much for any help you can give!

ASM15.jpg

Edited by uvalusk

It's hard to tell from the picture, but my first impression is that it is just some compacted debris or maybe ink transfer from a book it was sitting on top of.  It looks like something on the surface that can be wiped off. I just don't think it is mold based on how white the paper looks.

If it is mold, you should definitely not encapsulate it until you are sure it is dead. Otherwise, it could continue to grow in the case since it is not air tight. 

On 9/9/2022 at 8:37 PM, sergex23 said:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but my first impression is that it is just some compacted debris or maybe ink transfer from a book it was sitting on top of.  It looks like something on the surface that can be wiped off. I just don't think it is mold based on how white the paper looks.

If it is mold, you should definitely not encapsulate it until you are sure it is dead. Otherwise, it could continue to grow in the case since it is not air tight. 

Do you happen to know how to ensure it's dead in a way that's safe for the comic? Thanks for your input!

On 9/10/2022 at 12:16 AM, Lightning55 said:

Bottom LEFT corner?  Looks like bottom right to me.

If you are going to have it cleaned and pressed, I would think either of those processes would solve the potential problem.

Oops...yeah bottom right...edited.

Yes, I would definitely have it cleaned and pressed and was wondering if that would be enough to solve the problem. Thanks for your input!

On 9/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, grendelbo said:

Not mold.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:21 PM, The Lions Den said:

Agree with Grendelbo. 

It appears to be light ink transfer, which in this case would likely happen from being stored next to another book.

Not uncommon, and nothing to be overly concerned about, IMO...

Agreed, unless you can actually 'feel' those spots with your finger, which means it might be ground-in dirt or something.  Can't tell if it's mold without the comic in hand, but it doesn't appear to be so.