• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces In-House Private Signing with Iconic Comic Book Artist Todd McFarlane
2 2

15 posts in this topic

@CGC MikeHey Mike, I have a question about this.

I am attaching two pictures. The first picture is from the original announcement and it features the first label that was announced. This label has a bright red banner on it with Todd McFarlane's signature on it.

The second picture shows a slab that is on the news page now, and the label on this slab has a faded badge with Todd McFarlane's signature on it.

The bright red banner looks better IMO, and I was disheartened when the news page was updated with the label that has the faded banner.

Can you verify which one is the actual label that will be used?

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 9.25.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 9.26.04 PM.png

• Administrator

The second one with the more faded banner is correct. We had to reduce the opacity of the logo just a bit because of the set names are long. We also moved the sub grades to the back to allow for a signature line on the front of the label. 

On 9/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, CGC Mike said:

The second one with the more faded banner is correct. We had to reduce the opacity of the logo just a bit because of the set names are long. We also moved the sub grades to the back to allow for a signature line on the front of the label. 

Thank you Mike!

• Administrator
On 9/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, RoLaren said:

@CGC Mike Mike, I have another question about this. How will the cards graded in this signature event be shown in the pop report? Will there be a whole other section in the pop just for the signature series?

I am looking into this.

I have a question regarding the private McFarlane signing. On the CGC announcement it says that McFarlane will not sign "Venom #1 Color Variant". However, McFarlane released a video 2 years ago explaining that he would sign any comic which features his artwork or a character he created or co-created. In the video he refers to Spawn and Venom being an example of those characters for which he would sign. This conflicts with CGC's statement that McFarlane won't sign Venom #1 Color Variant. Attached is an image of *a* Venom #1 variant I own and would like to submit for the private signing. This comic features both McFarlane's artwork and his co-created character on the cover. From the information I've gathered its a 1:1000 ratio incentive cover and quite rare. I would love it if someone could clarify whether or not McFarlane would sign it if I submitted it. Thank you in advance for your time.

lf.jpeg

• Administrator
On 9/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, RoLaren said:

@CGC Mike Mike, I have another question about this. How will the cards graded in this signature event be shown in the pop report? Will there be a whole other section in the pop just for the signature series?

This is what I was told:

Currently the only cards that show in the CTC pop report are Pokemon and Magic The Gathering.  I know we are planning on adding cards in the future, including Marvel cards (which is what Todd will be signing – ones with his artwork that is); however, I don’t think they’ll show up in any special category other than Marvel.  

• Administrator
On 9/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, OphinSkolion said:

I have a question regarding the private McFarlane signing. On the CGC announcement it says that McFarlane will not sign "Venom #1 Color Variant". However, McFarlane released a video 2 years ago explaining that he would sign any comic which features his artwork or a character he created or co-created. In the video he refers to Spawn and Venom being an example of those characters for which he would sign. This conflicts with CGC's statement that McFarlane won't sign Venom #1 Color Variant. Attached is an image of *a* Venom #1 variant I own and would like to submit for the private signing. This comic features both McFarlane's artwork and his co-created character on the cover. From the information I've gathered its a 1:1000 ratio incentive cover and quite rare. I would love it if someone could clarify whether or not McFarlane would sign it if I submitted it. Thank you in advance for your time.

lf.jpeg

I am looking into this.

Mike

• Administrator
On 9/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, OphinSkolion said:

lf.jpeg

No, he won’t sign that book. He’s come out with a handful of covers that he says upon release that he will only be signing X amount or he will only be signing these covers at a specific signing and never again. It’s something he does to help create hype and demand for the books at launch typically. That being said, this is one of those books and so he won’t be signing any if they’re submitted.

I just submitted the following eight cards from McFarlane's 1992 Comic Images set:

Web-Slinger #74
Ready #41
Spider-Sense #10
Thirty Years #P-1
Red & Blue #P-6
Dynamic #P-2
Black Costume #75
I'm Gone #84

These are all pack fresh and were pulled three days ago. I tried to choose the ones in best condition to submit, but the production quality isn't great. I'll be interested to see how pack fresh cards from this set grade. 

I hope they grade decent because this submission cost a small fortune.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, RoLaren said:

@MattM CS Are trading cards in the queue alongside comics? I ask because my cards order was received on 10/7, and it looks like some comic book submissions received after that have jumped ahead of my cards in the queue. 

Thanks

@MattM CS, Did you see my question above?

• Administrator
On 12/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, RoLaren said:

@MattM CS, Did you see my question above?

Hello,

I seem to have missed this. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. These are not in the que going through the signing at the same time. Because of the huge number of comic submissions sent in for this signing, we are splitting the card and comic submissions to help break up the repetitiveness of signing 30,000+ collectibles. Rest assured, once your books or cards have been signed, they will be continue through their respective process to grading. Thank you for your patience. If you have any other questions, please send me a DM.