• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About Printing Defects (Green Label)
1 1

10 posts in this topic

So this is more of a general question about green labels under the new system. I had a copy of Strange Tales 178 and found that it didn’t have staples or holes for them on the cover. I found this interesting so I submitted it to CGC thinking it would get a green label 9.0 or so, since the book generally looked nice. Today the book was just graded and CGC decided to grade it as a 4.0 blue label and note the printing error on the grader’s notes only (no green label or comments) This is really confusing because now I feel like this was an interesting error and now you can only find out about it by looking up the certification number. 

Did this happen because of the new grading note system? Or has this always been this way? Sorry if this is an ignorant question. Just curious because the book is a 4.0 with a detached cover which wouldn’t normally make sense. I’ve attached the grader’s notes here:

AA58FFF0-9936-4277-95DE-5701E1936B34.jpeg

Edited by lemonman6

Hello Lemon Man :)

The previous thread below indicates that CGC have indeed slabbed a book manufactured without staples as a Qualified green in the past:

I would contact CGC directly to query their policy and to see if they will reslab it for you as a Green if that is what you would prefer (to highlight the manufacturing error).

Or, you could ask the question online here in the 'Ask CGC' forum.....

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/23-ask-cgc/

......and hopefully get an official response via that channel.

Either way, we'd all love to see a picture of your book, if you can :wishluck:

Good luck!

On 9/16/2022 at 5:11 AM, Sigur Ros said:

What does "Printing." mean ?

And why is staples capitalized ?

It's quite possibly the worst written attempt to convey the fact that a book was "manufactured without staples" that you could imagine, without being completely unintelligible :bigsmile:

On 9/16/2022 at 7:24 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I still find it odd that “no staples” gets a green, but when extra staples are added after manufacture, it gets a blue.  I’m sure it’s for the same reason tape on a book still gets a blue, but still

For anyone who missed it, the decision has been reversed and extra staples added after manufacture, especially in conjunction with an after-market acetate cover, now receive a green label and if you check the serial number it will list as "Qualified."  Unfortunately the blue labels already exist in the physical world, but the policy has finally been made right in principle.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:29 AM, wardevil0 said:

For anyone who missed it, the decision has been reversed and extra staples added after manufacture, especially in conjunction with an after-market acetate cover, now receive a green label and if you check the serial number it will list as "Qualified."  Unfortunately the blue labels already exist in the physical world, but the policy has finally been made right in principle.

That’s good. I didn’t know that.  But you’re also right about the blue labels still out there. I guess they will always be out there. This was in a Heritage auction last week: 

A9C5203F-1092-4050-9E13-C1DE991822DA.jpeg

7001A5CE-E4B2-4274-8207-18C6D3D018E6.png

On 9/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s good. I didn’t know that.  But you’re also right about the blue labels still out there. I guess they will always be out there. This was in a Heritage auction last week: 

A9C5203F-1092-4050-9E13-C1DE991822DA.jpeg

7001A5CE-E4B2-4274-8207-18C6D3D018E6.png

I would've thought this would at least rate a "conserved" label if not "restored."  I guess the 1.8 is meant to take the added staples and tape into account?