• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Victory Comics robbed - many high end books stolen.

52 posts in this topic

So as a kind of personal "inside joke" I bought a bone saw after the first Tobey Spider-Man movie came out.  Unfortunately, I managed to leave it out over a winter about three years later and it rusted pretty badly so I just tossed it under the work bench where it sits today.  So if they manage to identify and apprehend the thieves in this case and they need some help castrating those scum bags, I'm ready.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, MattTheDuck said:

So as a kind of personal "inside joke" I bought a bone saw after the first Tobey Spider-Man movie came out.  Unfortunately, I managed to leave it out over a winter about three years later and it rusted pretty badly so I just tossed it under the work bench where it sits today.  So if they manage to identify and apprehend the thieves in this case and they need some help castrating those scum bags, I'm ready.

Damn, I got 5 points and a suspension for a joke like this, back in the day.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Damn, I got 5 points and a suspension for a joke like this, back in the day.

Lol

yeah but it’s you… lol jokes 

On 9/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, MattTheDuck said:

BONESAW IS REEEAAADDDYYY!

On 9/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, Legion of Goom said:

BONESAW IS REEEAAADDDYYY!

"That's a nice outfit!  Did your husband buy it for you?!"  :wink:

I hope the thieves have been caught, so speculation, movie hype FOMO and the trust of third party grading can continue to raise the integrity of the business!  (:

On 9/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, Robot Man said:

Oh, that suks. Jeff is a great guy. I really hope he gets his books back.

Something else to consider. Why leave valuable books on the wall or in display cases when the store is closed?

I know it might be a little inconvient, but wouldn’t it be a little safer to pull at least the expensive ones, put them in a box and take home or lock up in a safe for the night?

I know I and many other dealers do that at multi day cons. Just makes it harder for some low ball scum to rip you off.

We live in crappy times…

That's a lot to do every night and pull them all out every morning.  I believe he probably thought it wouldn't happen.  That location is on a V corner on a main road with apartments right next to it and people walking in and out all times of the night.  If I were gonna hit a place it wouldn't be one with so many eyes everywhere. That's chancy.  Only way that would work is a smash and grab situation and we all know about those.  No one every gets caught in smash and grab crimes.  It would still be nice to have pics or scans on their books.  I have pics of all my books.  I did however drop my harddrive, so now I have to retake pics of everything.  Paid $100 for a diagnosis and was told it was recoverable, but would cost about $1300.  I said screw u. And I dropped my camera a while back, so now it no longer works properly.  

Edited by juniorMC

I had my comics, sport cards, hawthorn amazing Spider-Man locomotive set, stan Lee 3d super U set, amd Stan Lee signed action figures stolen after my florida home was robbed.  During covid wells fargo offered a plan to suspend payments and every 3 months I would get an email asking if I'd like an extension and I would say yes.  At the end I resumed payments.  In the meantime unbeknownst to me another wells fargo department winterized my home saying it was abandoned.  I went down to Florida to check on the house and found my garage door lock in the off position, so it could just be rolled up and all my collectibles gone.  I immediately,  went to ebay and found my Ama locomotive set, Stan Lee 3d u set, and signed Stan Lee action figure posted by someone who was about 2 towns over.  BTW I didn't live in Florida, just maintained the house after moving in 2013.  I called the police and opened a case.  The detective was able to recover my graded books (about 15) and 3 boxes of comics along with the items that were posted on ebay.  The Det told me that seller wasn't the person who robbed my house and just the person who paid 1300 for the the items.  The Det is still looking into it. Luckily i had most of my books with me in Maryland.  Hopefully they'll sell the stuff to an unsuspecting buyer and thw buyer will throw it on eBay, Craigslist, etc.  I had my Heroes for hope starring the x-men book, with about 17 sigs including Stan Lee, stolen while in possession of comic Sketch Lee, about 3 years ago. Still looking for it

Edited by juniorMC

On 9/29/2022 at 9:48 PM, juniorMC said:

That's a lot to do every night and pull them all out every morning.  I believe he probably thought it wouldn't happen.  That location is on a V corner on a main road with apartments right next to it and people walking in and out all times of the night.  If I were gonna hit a place it wouldn't be one with so many eyes everywhere. That's chancy.  Only way that would work is a smash and grab situation and we all know about those.  No one every gets caught in smash and grab crimes.  It would still be nice to have pics or scans on their books.  I have pics of all my books.  I did however drop my harddrive, so now I have to retake pics of everything.  Paid $100 for a diagnosis and was told it was recoverable, but would cost about $1300.  I said screw u. And I dropped my camera a while back, so now it no longer works properly.  

I will tell you. The older I get, the more I think bad things could happen to me. It comes with experience and paying attention to what happens to others.

Might be a little inconvient but if they wern’t sitting out they wouldn’t have gotton stolen.   (shrug)

Just saying…

On 9/21/2022 at 2:26 PM, sonicyouth1 said:

It depends on the policy. Very detailed pics and inventory with cert # will definitely help… 

Many of those high dollar books will likely not be covered as there is often a cap. And without cameras or footage showing the actual burglary the insurance company can call shenanigans quite easily.

In my experience with small business, this business would need to provide more evidence for a claim to be fully covered.

Many insurance companies will require the small business to have video surveillance to be fully insured from burglary. 

Burglary is a grey area for insurance companies and small business. It’s very difficult for small business to prove they owned the book which was was stolen so small businesses usually have to settle for much lower claim.

An adjuster or actuary will instantly be suspect of the inventory listed. 
Looks like an inside job. The list is almost too good to be true.

A very unfortunate situation for the owner and I hope the claims adjuster is kind. 

Let’s hope these books are recovered and the perpetrators arrested!

The insurance premiums are based on the reported safety and security of the facility. For example, if they indicated on the policy they did not have security cameras, the policy would cover this. 

The list of questions I had to answer to insure my collection was exhaustive. Every detail is addresses. Including paying a significantly lower premium if you selected to not cover the collection for theft. I did not go for that option. 

On 9/30/2022 at 1:23 AM, Robot Man said:

I will tell you. The older I get, the more I think bad things could happen to me. It comes with experience and paying attention to what happens to others.

Might be a little inconvient but if they wern’t sitting out they wouldn’t have gotton stolen.   (shrug)

Just saying…

I don't know if there's anyone, who has a long history of collecting, that hasn't had collectables stolen from them at some point.  I wonder if there's any long time collector that hasn't had items stolen

A bar I was involved with had a jewelry store as a neighbor.  About ten years ago, someone did a smash and grab of the stuff he had in his window. The owner said it was the first time it happened in his twenty plus years of business.  He restocked the window and it happened again a few weeks later.  This time, he thought he'd be clever and put all costume jewelry in the window, but that too got smashed in short order.  Now he puts out his display every day, and takes it in every night. It's a waste of a half hour a day of his time but it's the cost of doing business.