• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Superman/Batman crossover?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

This question predates my particular era of collecting, but I'm curious when Batman and Superman first met in the comics?

From my own very cursory search, I've come up with various potential answers, ranging from World's Best Comics #1 (1941), to Superman #76 (1952), to World's Finest Comics #71 (1954).

I know it depends somewhat on how one defines crossover, and in this instance I mean when the two characters first participated in the same story.

Thanks in advance!

On 9/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, Hottohman said:

Superman #76 according to the GCD. They learn each other's secret identities and "1st Superman-Batman team (outside of radio and the Justice Society of America). The World's Finest Comics Archives reprint was taken from the World's Finest #179 reprint, as evidenced by the splash page blurb: "Now that you've read the 'origin' of the World's Finest Team, here's the natural follow-up...from Superman No. 76, May-June 1952...." Inker credits corrected by Craig Delich; they were reversed. It appears that Kaye's inks actually begin on lower half of page 8"

Awesome. Thanks very much!

On 9/21/2022 at 4:22 PM, Hottohman said:
On 9/21/2022 at 4:14 PM, valiantman said:

Yes, but New York World's Fair 1940 is older than every issue of World's Finest.

But just as irrelevant to the story (thumbsu

Right, but any discussion of World's Finest covers with Superman and Batman should be out the window since NYWF 1940 is older than every one of them. (thumbsu