• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Ian
3 3

82 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2022 at 7:18 AM, joeypost said:

As long as you are OK, Mike. I never understood why power line’s  are not buried in this state. I have seen one tree take out power to thousand in certain neighborhoods. Our area, which was built between 2-5 years ago had all the lines buried. We all have power despite down trees everywhere. 

Safe and sound.  Thanks for the update. :foryou:

On 9/29/2022 at 8:04 AM, Tbone911t said:

Our place in Fort Myers Beach is completely gone. Hope the reported fatalities #s are wrong. Stay safe my friends. 

Good to know you're safe and sound as well.  Thanks for the update. (thumbsu

Last night they reported up to 2 million without power, but this morning there was a report of 50,000 people had their power restored. Hopefully, most power will be up within the next 48 hours. I hear they also expect some rivers to overflow as the storm heads north. Stay safe!

On 9/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, mysterymachine said:

Last night they reported up to 2 million without power, but this morning there was a report of 50,000 people had their power restored. Hopefully, most power will be up within the next 48 hours. I hear they also expect some rivers to overflow as the storm heads north. Stay safe!

The Saint John’s River flows very slowly. Runs South to North and is infamous for flooding days after a major event.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:53 PM, Trifisherjoe said:

...figures my ASM 300 is enroute for the signing event...

I'm in the same boat, just glad I'm not literally being saved by a boat right now. My area is a bit north of Sarasota, we're all more focused on those who took damage... no idea of the loss of life yet.

Edited by DoctorWyoming1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

I'm in the same boat, just glad I'm not literally being saved by a boat right now. My area is a bit north of Sarasota, we're all more focused on those who took damage... no idea of the loss of life yet.

Glad you and yours are safe.  :foryou:

On 9/29/2022 at 9:18 AM, joeypost said:

As long as you are OK, Mike. I never understood why power line’s  are not buried in this state. I have seen one tree take out power to thousand in certain neighborhoods. Our area, which was built between 2-5 years ago had all the lines buried. We all have power despite down trees everywhere. 

They are building fiberoptics underground in certain localities to replace those old networks. I'm in south east Florida and I pass by construction sites all the time where underground piping is being installed. We get power outages at the first hints of strong winds here anyway. It's really a thing they do here & there locally in places where they think they'll need it like Miami. The Ft. Myers Tampa area hasn't seen a serious hurricane in 100 years so perhaps they've done it maybe not?

I agree with you. There should be an effort to refit these networks on a large scale in Florida. It would cost a lot of money though and people wouldn't want to pay for it. So that's not something that's going to happen here anytime soon unfortunately. 

On 9/29/2022 at 1:53 PM, MGsimba77 said:

They are building fiberoptics underground in certain localities to replace those old networks. I'm in south east Florida and I pass by construction sites all the time where underground piping is being installed. We get power outages at the first hints of strong winds here anyway. It's really a thing they do here & there locally in places where they think they'll need it like Miami. The Ft. Myers Tampa area hasn't seen a serious hurricane in 100 years so perhaps they've done it maybe not?

I agree with you. There should be an effort to refit these networks on a large scale in Florida. It would cost a lot of money though and people wouldn't want to pay for it. So that's not something that's going to happen here anytime soon unfortunately. 

I don't even want to discuss the power grid here in Texas :( what can you do, other than the obvious and wait!

Waiting Skeletons Stock Video - Download Video Clip Now - Hand On Heart, 20  Seconds or Greater, Arm Bone - iStock

On 9/29/2022 at 8:23 AM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks guys, we are fine.  I just backed the RV up to the house so, I could use the generator.  The entire 1/2 acre is completely covered with debris.  I guess I will be getting plenty of exercise.  

On the plus side that storm will knock all the humidity out of the air for a week. 

On 9/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You are absolutely obsessed with tracking your submissions.   Enjoy a break from that madness....

not what I meant at all. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/29/2022 at 12:37 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

On the plus side that storm will knock all the humidity out of the air for a week. 

The days after a major storm often produce beautiful weather. I love going to the beach the day after a nor'easter or tropical storm.

Edited by shadroch

On 9/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, CGC Mike said:

There's 20,000 customers of FPL in my county.  17.500 are without power, including me.  

Following Andrew, FPL restored our power in 3 days. I used to complain about FPL, but it did well following Andrew. Where I reside now, if a hurricane as strong as Andrew, a category 5, were to hit it would likely take the power company three months to restore power. It stinks! I never thought I would miss FPL, but I do.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:18 AM, joeypost said:

Where I currently live the area is known for it extensive tree canopy. The power company, instead of burying power lines resorted about ten years ago to trimming trees or cutting them down, including several oak tees that were one to two hundred years old. Thankfully, the amount of trees is such that the canopy is healthy. One of the reasons I purchased in this area is because of the canopy and the endless array of fauna.