• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC now featuring newsstand copy designation
6 6

215 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, ThothAmon said:

I just received the last of my slow boat books back submitted at the very end of the pre price increase window. Gotta believe it slowed dramatically with the new pricing. 

I've seen some Oct peoples shipped already, but mine are still sfg, so it feels extra!

On 9/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I take full responsibility for this.

The past couple years, I have stubbornly been notating newsstand copies on my submission forms, even though I knew it wouldn’t make it on the label.

They finally caved.

:highfive:

+1 Although, as pointed out earlier, occasionally one would be labeled correctly. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 9/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, MAR1979 said:

I do like the notation "Marvel Multi-Pack Edition" much better than the false "Marvel Whitman".

I've tweeted on this already here, but the printings were created to order for Whitman and ceased to exist when Whitman's order ended, so the term is a reasonable one, regardless of whether anyone else — other bagged jobbers or comics shops — were ever sold copies out of the run.

That said, it's great that CGC has separated out the two eras, as it helps people with the history a little. The Direct Market was becoming a big deal in 1977, but it didn't rate its own printing yet. But a large order from a firm that sold into department stores did nudge Marvel to do something.

Edited by John Jackson Miller

I think this is a big improvement. I have sent in a lot of news stand and Canadian price variants, and up until now they have made the notation on certain books and not others. This creates more consistency and acknowledges that a group of collectors hunt for news stand copies. I also like that they will be split out better in GPAnalysis moving forward since some "big sales" in certain books were just news stands that hit the market. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, ThothAmon said:

I love the idea. Finally it will shut up people on both sides of the debate with real data. As to why their doing it?  Collector demand for sure and my guess that CGC has almost finished with its glut and has a ton of excess processing capacity they need to fill. 

No, it will make the cheap hucksters even more insufferable as they claim that only 200 of the 8000 copies are Newsstands, ignoring that 7500 copies were graded before this went into effect, just as they already do with the issues that CGC already arbitrarily recognized and separated before this.

Plus, this will still only be a record of what CGC has seen... and not mislabeled.

Why are newsstand editions desirable?

As newsstand editions diminished throughout the 1980s, their survival rate diminished as well. This was exacerbated by the fact that most newsstand buyers were casual readers who did not preserve their comics, and in most cases threw them away after they were read. By the 2000s, the number of newsstand editions within a print run was miniscule, making them true rarities compared to their direct edition counterparts.

:facepalm:

Just what we need; more people spreading this nonsense.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I would just like to take this opportunity to publicly say:
:censored: you, CGC! Eat a giant bag of :censored:!

On 9/26/2022 at 3:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

Just what we need; more people spreading this nonsense.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I would just like to take this opportunity to publicly say:
:censored: you, CGC! Eat a giant bag of :censored:!

When I get incensed by the apparent idiocy of others collecting tastes I immediately remember I collect funny books. Glass houses. 

On 9/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, ThothAmon said:

When I get incensed by the apparent idiocy of others collecting tastes I immediately remember I collect funny books. Glass houses. 

I do not care about the collecting tastes of others, I care about the lies of others.