• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this even possible. Book was submitted and replaced entirely. CGC error
8 8

87 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, mediaslave said:

Their forum is also full of delusional muppets that refuse to accept the gap in sale pricing, regardless how many many thousands of examples are presented. 

I don't believe you for a second but if you've actually presented "many thousands" of examples you should really take a deep look inside.  

Still, hopefully one day you'll convince them so you can move on.

Since it's so ridiculously important to you.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, Sigur Ros said:
On 10/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, mediaslave said:

Same company that turned their verified label yellow to try and equate a verified signature with a witnessed one, all for their own benefit?

How dare a company listen to its customers!

Listen to their customers? Gimme a break. Its a garbage idea that they jumped on for their own benefit. They're obviously trying to equate a witnessed signature (very trustworthy) with their verified signature (not really trustworthy at all), thereby hopefully bumping the value/ decreasing the price gap between the two. Its a self-serving move that also reeks of cost-cutting. If they had any dignity or interest in the good of the hobby as a whole, they would have just chosen a new colour (which would have been a great move.)

Witnessed and verified are not the same thing, and they should not have the same label. End of story. 

On 10/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I don't believe you for a second but if you've actually presented "many thousands" of examples you should really take a deep look inside.  

Still, hopefully one day you'll convince them so you can move on.

Since it's so ridiculously important to you.

I went a followed multiple comiclink auctions and compared same grade/ PQ between the two, head to head. I then went and compared those sales to ebay auctions (NOT BIN sales, which are too different to count.). In almost every case, the other guys lost by a considerable margin, usually between 12-25%. There were even examples of them losing by 50% or more, but I don't consider those common enough. More outliers. 

The other outlier that I couldn't explain, and still can't, are 9.8 copies of theirs going for CONSIDERABLY over market. For example, I specifically remember a copy of Punisher #1 selling for $400, while there were multiple CGC copies at $300 BIN on eBay. Also CGC past sales were between $280-320-ish. No idea why. No announcements at the time, no TV stuff, no real reason that I can figure out. Same with a copy of Thor 337. Went for WAY over market, like 70 over. No idea why. aI even asked CL about it, and they couldn't figure it out either. 

Why did I do all this? Because I have multiple OTHERGUY books, and I wanted to see if the gap was still there. Then it just became interesting, particularly at the time of the CGC price hike. 

Gap is still there, and healthy. 

On 10/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, mediaslave said:

I went a followed multiple comiclink auctions and compared same grade/ PQ between the two, head to head. I then went and compared those sales to ebay auctions (NOT BIN sales, which are too different to count.). In almost every case, the other guys lost by a considerable margin, usually between 12-25%. There were even examples of them losing by 50% or more, but I don't consider those common enough. More outliers. 

The other outlier that I couldn't explain, and still can't, are 9.8 copies of theirs going for CONSIDERABLY over market. For example, I specifically remember a copy of Punisher #1 selling for $400, while there were multiple CGC copies at $300 BIN on eBay. Also CGC past sales were between $280-320-ish. No idea why. No announcements at the time, no TV stuff, no real reason that I can figure out. Same with a copy of Thor 337. Went for WAY over market, like 70 over. No idea why. aI even asked CL about it, and they couldn't figure it out either. 

Why did I do all this? Because I have multiple OTHERGUY books, and I wanted to see if the gap was still there. Then it just became interesting, particularly at the time of the CGC price hike. 

Gap is still there, and healthy. 

Well, now all you've gotta do is convince the 19-ish people who post on their forum.

Go get 'em!

I have 3 books at CGC that, when next month rolls around, will have been at CGC for a year. I also have a stack of 29 raw books that I've been adding to and getting ready to send in. I was hesitant to submit my books after the whole acetate cover fiasco and now this... well this will make me hold my books for the foreseeable future and not send them in. This is just pure ridiculousness. 

On 10/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Well, now all you've gotta do is convince the 19-ish people who post on their forum.

Go get 'em!

lol you aren't wrong. 

But what I find super interesting is its not just the guys on their forum. I find a lot of the guys that use THE OTHERS© are fierce defenders, to the point of ignoring and dismissing almost inarguable proof. Its almost fanatical. 

I got banned from there anyways, so there goes all my fun.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:55 AM, Buzzetta said:

You mentioned, and I quote again:

Here is a way that they do not outperform.  They do not seem to outperform at the point of sale.

Anything before that is irrelevant because at the end of the day, if people keep seeing CGC slabs outperform and they get more money for their comics, they will continue to send money to CGC to grade their books.  

EDIT: and this is coming from myself, who has made mention that they did not renew their CGC subscription and has not sent in books in around two years. 

If I can buy a book and make 20% or more  on it, it doesn't matter if it gets the top price.  In some cases, the lower price helps.  Not so much for the people submitting, but for folks like me it works fine.  If I get a book for $60 and sell it for $90, it works just as well as paying $120 for it and selling for $180.  Just because an item sells for less, that doesn't make it a bad investment.  It's the margins that are important.