• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this even possible. Book was submitted and replaced entirely. CGC error
8 8

87 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Gotcha.  That is true.  Also, if sales are important, that disproves raw being the better option.

From a PC standpoint, I stand by my comment.  Won't list the reasons because the troll with the name-du-jour likes to report.

I went elsewhere after being fed up with all the CGC issues.  During that time, while the other guys did excellent work (much better, in fact) on the product itself, their customer service is the worst.  Then they raised prices, including membership which is at a ridiculous level now.  So as soon as my membership ended and I decided I wasn't going to renew with them, CGC sent an email with the $99 offer for the $150 credit.  I bit.  But I don't trust them at all.  I've seen and read way too much.

And while people love to have the ammo of the missing long box at the other guys, we've read story after story here over the years of missing books.  My presser stopped submitting partly because one of his customers currently has 14 books CGC says are lost, and they stopped responding apparently.  

But yea, "trustworthy".

yet again...

My issue with the missing long box was not the quantity as I consider it a single order.  Losing a single order of 300 books is losing an order the same way that losing an order of 30 books is losing an order.  Logistically of course it’s harder to overlook a box of 300 in comparison to 30 in your kitchen but we are talking about a warehouse.

As soon as I read the occurrence of the missing books with Clan Macdonald, my first thought was why those books were sent off site for any reason.  While I sit here and type this, (for those reading this a few years from now) sections of Florida are severely damaged from Hurricane Ian.  Does their insurance policy cover the books at someone’s home if they are damaged?  If yes then what books are going to peoples homes?  What level?  What are the security protocols?  If they aren’t covered who pays out if something happens?  How much. 

Those books should have never been brought off site. It’s an egregious breach of confidence and trust as the slightest and a huge insurance issue at most. 

I assume that given the value of the books being held that there are security cameras and protocols in place at the facilities of both companies to prevent theft and deliberate tampering.  I doubt those exist at the home of Mr. McFingerhand.  

On 10/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

Those books should have never been brought off site.

That right there sums it up for me.  If I send a book/books to be graded/encapsulated I send them to the company, not to joe blow who takes them home with him.  That is B.S., and there is no way it can be explained away.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

My issue with the missing long box was not the quantity as I consider it a single order.  Losing a single order of 300 books is losing an order the same way that losing an order of 30 books is losing an order.  Logistically of course it’s harder to overlook a box of 300 in comparison to 30 in your kitchen but we are talking about a warehouse.

As soon as I read the occurrence of the missing books with Clan Macdonald, my first thought was why those books were sent off site for any reason.  While I sit here and type this, (for those reading this a few years from now) sections of Florida are severely damaged from Hurricane Ian.  Does their insurance policy cover the books at someone’s home if they are damaged?  If yes then what books are going to peoples homes?  What level?  What are the security protocols?  If they aren’t covered who pays out if something happens?  How much. 

Those books should have never been brought off site. It’s an egregious breach of confidence and trust as the slightest and a huge insurance issue at most. 

I assume that given the value of the books being held that there are security cameras and protocols in place at the facilities of both companies to prevent theft and deliberate tampering.  I doubt those exist at the home of Mr. McFingerhand.  

Agreed.  It was definitely wrong, and enlightening. 

Wonder who else does that, or has done it, especially during Covid and it's shutdowns.

I haven’t been following the missing long box story too closely.  Just my experience here.  I dropped off 5 or 6 books in July 2021.  All were for express and one walkthru.  Took several months to even get them into the system.  Wait for it….

All because they were sent to someone’s house to get logged into the system.  Then they’d be sent to the office for grading.  Yea, they sat there for months.  It took almost 3 months to get the books back.  After a ton of back and forth with one former executive.  Yeah, I won’t be grading with them again.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:53 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I haven’t been following the missing long box story too closely.  Just my experience here.  I dropped off 5 or 6 books in July 2021.  All were for express and one walkthru.  Took several months to even get them into the system.  Wait for it….

All because they were sent to someone’s house to get logged into the system.  Then they’d be sent to the office for grading.  Yea, they sat there for months.  It took almost 3 months to get the books back.  After a ton of back and forth with one former executive.  Yeah, I won’t be grading with them again.

It takes a couple months to get in the system.  They've been overrun with business for a couple years.  My July 2021 order took 2 months to get entered then 51 (total) weeks to receive.  But I paid $14.60/book with the sale so I didn't care.  

But they've never had "walk through".

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 10/5/2022 at 8:06 AM, Sigur Ros said:

It takes a couple months to get in the system.  They've been overrun with business for a couple years.  My July 2021 order took 2 months to get entered then 51 (total) weeks to receive.  But I paid $14.60/book with the sale so I didn't care.  

But they've never had walk through.

You need to make up a better story.

The story isn’t made up.  Whatever the fastest turnaround time tier is.  I was using CGC terminology.  

Also, for the record.  I would NEVER sign off on my books going to someone’s residence.  Naturally, I just assumed they would be shipped to the office.  Why would I expect otherwise.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:23 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

The story isn’t made up.  Whatever the fastest turnaround time tier is.  I was using CGC terminology.  

Also, for the record.  I would NEVER sign off on my books going to someone’s residence.  Naturally, I just assumed they would be shipped to the office.  Why would I expect otherwise.

Whatever the fastest tier was for a book of the price at the time.  It was a JIM 83.  

On 10/5/2022 at 8:23 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I removed that comment because it was combative.  Too late I guess.

You're saying CS told you your exact books were sent off-site to someone's house?

Hard to imagine they'd tell you that.

Also hard to imagine CS even responded.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:26 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I removed that comment because it was combative.  Too late I guess.

You're saying CS told you your exact books were sent off-site to someone's house?

Hard to imagine they'd tell you that.

Also hard to imagine CS even responded.

Just checked my invoice.  At the time, the quickest service was called 1-Day.  Which I submitted the JIM 83 for. 

No, they did not tell me upfront.  I found out about 5 or 6 weeks after submitting them at a show.  That was after several weeks of back and forth with the person who was accepting books for them on the company’s behalf. 

I contacted Borock via IG and then email.  I have several emails from him and people he forwarded my info to, which ended up never getting back to me.  It was a mess.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Never understood this.  Multiple threads here based on constant CGC failures. One ongoing for years.  Misgrades, damaged books, upside down, switched books, lost books, etc., etc., and people still make comments that the competition is less trustworthy than this.

These are the people CGC know will be there for them no matter how bad they get.

They have no reason to improve because of fanboy mentality.

But...the competition is less trustworthy. Because this stuff happens to them too (and at the very least, as often as it happens to CGC). The saving grace with CGC is that they will work out some solutions. Granted, this person in this scenario may want their book back and perhaps, if it went to someone sleazy they never will....CGC would at least find a way to monetarily compensate the person. Or I have seen them actually buy another copy of a book they lost for someone (this was years ago but it happened). 

So while this definitely sucks and while CGC should definitely make QC an area of improvement moving forward, at least history shows they have made attempts to make it as right as possible.

Another thing too....it all comes down to math. Suppose 8 years ago, they received 75 000 comics a year and lost/damaged/misplaced 100 in shipping to the wrong person or whatever. They still boast an extremely high success rate of 98.7%. Now, consider they are probably getting two to three times as many comics, well that's also 2-3 times as many problems, thus you see it more and perceive it to be a bigger issue than it might actually be.

It would be neat if CGC released data like this....to show "hey, we are not actually any worse". But they never would. And maybe it is because their success rate in these situations has dropped greatly. Even a 2-5% drop would be terrible. I'll continue to play with fire until I get burned personally because I know everyone everywhere has a horror story for a company....

On 10/5/2022 at 8:54 AM, comicginger1789 said:

But...the competition is less trustworthy. Because this stuff happens to them too (and at the very least, as often as it happens to CGC). 

Where is this documented?

On 10/5/2022 at 9:01 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Where is this documented?

Their forums? Youtube full of horror stories? The scale and frequency of seeing these is smaller though because they are smaller. My point was that every company makes these errors. Let's imagine a world where half of the current CGC users stopped cold turkey and went to to the next best grading company. They would be unable to handle the influx, they would have to hire more people, they would have new employees making errors on a much larger scale and you would see it much more so. I'm not excusing it...CGC NEEDS to be better. I am just saying that if you boil it down, I see hundreds and hundreds of posts, videos, etc of people unboxing comics on Youtube, showing them off here in forums, etc and nothing is wrong. And nobody cares about that because that is what we expect. But god forbid a mistake happens and it's world ending...well sadly, this too will (and has) happened with the other companies, in addition to other flaws they possess.

CGC may lose or damage or something to a book I care about. And I would be peeved as I should be. But if they make an attempt to fix it, I will understand. Some people might say "how could you continue to use them!? They lost your $1200 book!", and this is a normal statement to make. But if I got that $1200 back in some way well at least they acknowledge and attempted to fix. I could jump ship but I might see myself in the same situation 3 years into using the other guys and then what? Hate on them and switch back?

Mind you, if CGC ever lost a book and did nothing and it was their fault....that would definitely cause me to leave.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Another thing too....it all comes down to math. Suppose 8 years ago, they received 75 000 comics a year and lost/damaged/misplaced 100 in shipping to the wrong person or whatever. They still boast an extremely high success rate of 98.7%. Now, consider they are probably getting two to three times as many comics, well that's also 2-3 times as many problems, thus you see it more and perceive it to be a bigger issue than it might actually be.

8 years ago in 2014, CGC graded about 275,000 books per year.  In 2021, CGC graded 1,200,000.

If it seems like there are at least three times as many mistakes as there used to be, it's probably because there are at least four times as many books being graded in a year.

Edited by valiantman

On 10/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, valiantman said:

8 years ago in 2014, CGC graded about 275,000 books per year.  In 2021, CGC graded 1,200,000.

If it seems like there are at least three times as many mistakes as there used to be, it's probably because there are at least four times as many books being graded in a year.

Thanks for providing some accurate-ish numbers :) 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Their forums? Youtube full of horror stories? 

Are you asking?  If so, no, I don't see it anywhere near these levels, at either of those places or IG.  And especially not "at least as often", as you claim.

Honestly, their forums discuss more CGC QC mistakes than anyone else's.   

On 10/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Mind you, if CGC ever lost a book and did nothing and it was their fault....that would definitely cause me to leave.

Exactly what happened to someone I'm aware of.  14 books, actually.   CGC admitted they were lost, then stopped responding.

You can reply with "big deal, 14 out of a million", but to him it's a big deal. The facilitator too.  They won't submit to CGC anymore.  And so far, no one is trying to make it right.

Yes, the other guys' CS is horrible, but you keep acting like they wouldn't make things right.  That only CGC does that.  I have seen evidence proving both of those wrong.

Anyway, I know I'm guilty too but this thread/problem is about CGC, not anyone else. I just wondered why you would even pretend to know "at least as many" of these issues happens with the others.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:51 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Are you asking?  If so, no, I don't see it anywhere near these levels, at either of those places or IG.  And especially not "at least as often", as you claim.

Exactly what happened to someone I'm aware of.  14 books, actually.   CGC admitted they were lost, then stopped responding.

You can reply with "big deal, 14 out of a million", but to him it's a big deal. The facilitator too.  They won't submit to CGC anymore.  And so far, no one is trying to make it right.

Yes, the other guys' CS is horrible, but you keep acting like they wouldn't make things right.  That only CGC does that.  I have seen evidence proving both of those wrong.

Anyway, I know I'm guilty too but this thread/problem is about CGC, not anyone else. I just wondered why you would even pretend to know "at least as many" of these issues happens with the others.

Fair enough

I have never personally known anyone who has not had their issue resolved. Yes I have seen lots of posts and blasts and this and that on social media against CGC. And I tend to find a lot of these individuals questionable.... personally (ie their story seems flawed, their behaviour and rant seems illogical, etc).

As for stating I have heard other issues, I am going by people I personally know and trust and what they have said. So my statement is based on that small sample size but of the company I keep, yes they have had CGC issues but it has always been fixed. These same people cannot say the same about the others.

Granted, if these people start, I will definitely be taking note and reconsider my future submissions. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:51 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Their forum is also full of delusional muppets that refuse to accept the gap in sale pricing, regardless how many many thousands of examples are presented. They'll take a couple of cherrypicked examples where a competitor copy sells for the same amount, and use it as empirical proof that the gap doesn't exist. That kind of blind customer loyalty would also lead me to easily believe that they are willing to keep mistakes quiet, with the misguided but understandable mindset that they are doing the right thing for a company they believe in. Hell the ex-president of THEM came onto their own forum and said they thought the grading between the two companies was pretty much even, and STILL they keep pushing their version of "The Big Lie ©". 

Happens all the time. Tesla, Apple, Beats...the examples are numerous. 

Both companies make errors, but from many, many accounts only one actually acknowledges it and stands up to help their customers.