• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! HARDCOVER NOW AVAILABLE! Pre-Order Your Copy of ‘The Official CGC Guide to Grading.
10 10

230 posts in this topic

I was reading a bit through the book's grading scale of assigned defects and while its not going to spell out what specific defects on your books will get what grades it does give you some insight on their quantification and qualification of some defects. Also, it is written more than once in the book as a disclaimer that grading standards has changed many times at cgc since its inception in 2000 and that this book is only a point in time guide to the current grading standards which can and will be different in the future such that those standards and guidance in the book may no longer apply in a year, 2 or 3+ years down the road depending on what new advances in grading occurs.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:11 AM, justafan said:

I was reading a bit through the book's grading scale of assigned defects and while its not going to spell out what specific defects on your books will get what grades it does give you some insight on their quantification and qualification of some defects. Also, it is written more than once in the book as a disclaimer that grading standards has changed many times at cgc since its inception in 2000 and that this book is only a point in time guide to the current grading standards which can and will be different in the future such that those standards and guidance in the book may no longer apply in a year, 2 or 3+ years down the road depending on what new advances in grading occurs.

Yes, but it will be a collector's item! :wink:

On 10/14/2022 at 12:11 AM, justafan said:

Thanks for the assessment.  I am curious about the disclaimer you noted, does the book specifically state what time period the book does cover?  And if not, why not since they went to the trouble of stating grading standards change overtime.

It may well be planned obsolescence as someone else noted or, it could be to provide cover in case someone argues their submission met all the guides items but did not receive the requisite grade.  CGC can say, "well, yes, this book says 'official CGC guide' but that was for period x to y and your book was graded in period z. So shut up and keep sending us your money" (they may not say the last part out loud). 

Did the book actually say the guide may change due to "new advances in grading"?  What are these "new" advances? No doubt there are new advances in medicine and science, what "new" advances are occurring among the subjective task of grading a comic book?? 

On 10/14/2022 at 1:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Although I usually prefer hard, I think I can live with soft in this case…:devil:

arrested-development-maeby-funke.gif.78d66d128f5376ab8b23b21f1e1450df.gif

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 10/14/2022 at 8:29 PM, DWL said:

Did the book actually say the guide may change due to "new advances in grading"?  What are these "new" advances? No doubt there are new advances in medicine and science, what "new" advances are occurring among the subjective task of grading a comic book?? 

9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, 9.7, 9.8, 9.9, 11

On 10/15/2022 at 1:04 AM, Krydel4 said:

9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, 9.7, 9.8, 9.9, 11

They should change it up completely, and drop the existing numbers.  Make those obsolete.  Introduce their new grading scale of 9.1, 9.3, 9.5, 9.7, 9.9, 11( it gets a custom spinal tap label) & let the resubs start rolling in...

4E881F5F-655C-43E2-A06A-547856B3882B.gif.074d306f21f161b31bc928d7e9c87a70.gif

On 10/13/2022 at 10:11 PM, justafan said:

Also, it is written more than once in the book as a disclaimer that grading standards has changed many times at cgc since its inception in 2000 and that this book is only a point in time guide to the current grading standards which can and will be different in the future such that those standards and guidance in the book may no longer apply in a year, 2 or 3+ years down the road depending on what new advances in grading occurs.

I am curious about the disclaimer you noted, does the book specifically state what time period the book does cover?  And if not, why not since they went to the trouble of stating grading standards change overtime.

Well, since the writing aspect of the book was already completed some 18 months ago or longer, who's to say that the book's time period might not have already passed.  Especially since it's been pointed out that grading standards are always evolving and as such, do tend to change over time on an ogoing basis.  hm  (shrug)

Although I am quite sure that the bulk of the book should still be applicable, subject to interpretation, exceptions, and limitations as noted in the book.  (thumbsu

As you have correctly noted in your post above, grading is still subjective and not an exact science.  (thumbsu

As such, they may have used the wrong word in terms of "new advances" when a better terminology might be "ongoing changes to their undisclosed grading standards".  hm

On 10/19/2022 at 3:54 PM, grendelbo said:

20221019_135107.thumb.jpg.d3a794a1dc726f3cac6b45f77c629154.jpg

20221019_134516.thumb.jpg.31128b1cf4bc9655d02790593b4af03a.jpg

Today my copy was waiting under the front door's welcome mat when I got back from the LCS. Massive book. I can't wait to delve into it.

You get free comics with your order to practice grading with the new grading guide?:baiting:

On 10/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, grendelbo said:

20221019_135107.thumb.jpg.d3a794a1dc726f3cac6b45f77c629154.jpg

20221019_134516.thumb.jpg.31128b1cf4bc9655d02790593b4af03a.jpg

Today my copy was waiting under the front door's welcome mat when I got back from the LCS. Massive book. I can't wait to delve into it.

Still waiting for that copy of "THE OFFICIAL CGC GUIDE TO QA DISASTERS AT CGC" probably be 1,000 pages lol