• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! HARDCOVER NOW AVAILABLE! Pre-Order Your Copy of ‘The Official CGC Guide to Grading.
10 10

230 posts in this topic

I received mine a few days ago. In my opinion, this book is a must have for anyone buying or selling comic books.  It is very well written and organized. I especially like that one full page is devoted to each of the  over 100 defects that can be present In a  comic book along with photos of each one.

The only thing I would add for the next edition would be additional pictures of comic books in each grade in the numerical grading section, sort of like the Overstreet Grading Guide. It would be nice to see 3 or 4 examples of books in each grade, showing how books with different defects can arrive at the same grade.

All in all, a fantastic book that I will refer to often.  It is not only a terrific reference guide, but is also fun to read.

Thank you Matt and CGC.  I have been waiting for a book like this for a long time!

On 10/20/2022 at 7:35 AM, justafan said:
On 10/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, Kevin76 said:

The book uses Hulk 181 to show what each assigned grade looks like as well as close up shot or defects of what's allowed in each grade  

Probably because its their most submitted book in all grades. 🤣🤪

Amazing Spider-Man #300 is the most submitted book and it has 24 of the 25 grades, lacking only CGC 10 (just like Hulk #181), but there are dozens of low grade copies of Hulk #181 (to scan and profile) and just a few of ASM #300 at this point.

New Mutants #98 is likely to be the first book with all 25 (universal) grades on the CGC Census, since it only lacks CGC 0.5 and anyone with the book could make a CGC 0.5 with a little elbow grease (ewww, gross). 

Edited by valiantman

Got the book yesterday and started flipping thru it. Did anyone else see how it defines/redefines the Bronze/Copper and Modern Ages? Bronze/Copper is now 1970 to 1999 and Modern is 2000 to present day based on how comic book pages were produced: primarily newsprint in the Bronze/Copper Age and calendarized paper in the Modern Age.

It makes sense that a comic book grading company would use these definitions but have never seen this referenced on the boards before. Thoughts?

On 10/22/2022 at 12:34 PM, docgo said:

Got the book yesterday and started flipping thru it. Did anyone else see how it defines/redefines the Bronze/Copper and Modern Ages? Bronze/Copper is now 1970 to 1999 and Modern is 2000 to present day based on how comic book pages were produced: primarily newsprint in the Bronze/Copper Age and calendarized paper in the Modern Age.

It makes sense that a comic book grading company would use these definitions but have never seen this referenced on the boards before. Thoughts?

All I can say is it may eventually affect tiers of service, cost wise, with CGC grading, but idk if it'll go any further into the market as a bearing of ages.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, docgo said:

I don't see this as a surprise. The hobby has seceded control over many aspects (grading, pedigree designation, signature authentication, etc.) to these companies. Redefining comic book ages is just next on the list.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 10/22/2022 at 10:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

All I can say is it may eventually affect tiers of service, cost wise, with CGC grading, but idk if it'll go any further into the market as a bearing of ages.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, docgo said:

I better get some "Moderns" submitted before the date is bumped to 2000. :grin:

Edited by rexinnih

On 10/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, rexinnih said:

I better get some "Moderns" submitted before the date is bumped to 2000. :grin:

Well lol while I agree, I didn't mean anything definite, might still be a logical conclusion though haha. I'm right there with you, although they did away with value tier and made everything modern or economy, it would be odd to the switch it up again to bring back a mid tier so idk

On 10/22/2022 at 1:34 PM, docgo said:

This was talked about on the boards several years ago.. there was a thread on it if you want to go digging and lots of people agreed copper is 90s “Drek”.. 

Edited by Krismusic

On 10/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, Krismusic said:

This was talked about on the boards several years ago.. there was a thread on it if you want to go digging and lots of people agreed copper is 90s “Drek”.. 

I’ll take a look. Were the “calendarized pages” one of the reasons for the change from Copper to Modern? This is what I’ve never seen before.

On 10/22/2022 at 12:34 PM, docgo said:

In my prediction, the ages will become "the decades" at some point. Sure, the Golden Age and Silver Age labels might survive, but Bronze Age is basically "the 1970s", and "the 1970s" doesn't need any explanation or argument that it isn't "third best". The 1980s, 1990s, etc., forget the silly periodic table references (and we're out of Olympic medals) so just stick with the decade.  Problem solved. 

Those who enjoy debating the ages should continue to do so, but they should move the discussion to the windmills they've been trying to kill with a lance.  (The people who are still debating the ages at this point should get the reference.)

Edited by valiantman

On 11/18/2022 at 8:31 AM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@CGC Mike, is there any update on the availability of the hardcover edition?  Thx,

On 11/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, CGC Mike said:

I was told they just arrived so, they should be available soon.

I think  it was at least @F For Fake that wanted one, not sure who else :cheers: