• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want an update on best storage methods for comics
1 1

10 posts in this topic

As a long time collector, most of my comics are in the same bags and boards they have been in since the 80s. I recently have been doing an inventory of 20 long boxes worth and am taking them all out of their old, yellowed bags and want to replace them with new clear bags and white boards.

What these days is considered the gold standard in bags and boards? for low value, mid value, and high value comics? I remember for my low value Id use the cheap plastic bags that weren't really that clear and glossy, for higher Id either use mylar or the stiff plastic ones. And boards I just used acid free boards (or as a kid just cut up posterboard for projects - my old What Ifs still have cardboard I cut for them).

Thanks in advance, I googled this but got a lot of different answers, so wanted to go to the experts. Cost is kind of an issue since there are a lot of books as well, but it costs what it costs I guess. 

I also assume the long and short boxes you get on amazon are good, I got some and have no issue with them.

Did the same thing during Covid.  Pulled about 20 longboxes out of storage that hadn't been opened since the 90's and started rebagging/boarding.

After my research, went with standard BCW polypropylene bags (not polyethylene) w/ boards for the filler...and Mylar (Mylites2) with fullback boards for the valuable stuff.

Mylar is a bit more expensive but worth it.  Unless you're in a hurry, don't get it on Amazon or eBay.  Go direct to E. Gerber.  I know BCW makes Mylar too but I've never used it.

Mylar is the "archival standard" for comic book (paper) preservation, it is an "inert", "acid free" archival material that will not degrade over time as poly bags do.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/comics.html

https://www.incognitocomics.com.au/blogs/news/mylar-vs-poly-comic-book-bags

All 2000 of my books are in Mylites (1 mil, 1.4 mil, 2 mil) with acid free boards and have been since I first found Mylites back in the 80's, I have books that have been in the same 1 mil Mylites for 30+ years.

I used the BCW bag and boards and they are fine. but you need to make sure you order the right size from gold to bronze age. Also I don't put my new ones in a modern bag. their to tight. I suggest going down one age to silver to bag them. Hopefully this is helpful for you.

Edited by Amra of the Ashanti
add statement.

I keep mine in whatever they came in or if they came in nothing or yellow bag I take a cheaper book that is in a nice bag and put the more expensive book in that bag. I don't want to invest the time in bagging books. Not crazy about spending money on bags. If I had nothing better to do and ther was nothing to invest in or buy everything would be in mylar. Would never want to do it again and books look so much better. 

Storage is the big thing. Steady temps and humidity. If they make or if not they should make a thick mylar like backing board. I have seen books I can tell you what's on the back cover by looking at the backboard. Slabs are nice. If book survives the shipping and grading process it seems pretty safe in the slab.