• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thrifty Grocer Collection
1 1

69 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I love Everett's artwork on that splash page.

I was just thinking how the absolute highlight of each book is the Everett Subby artwork.  It's just beautiful.  Love those vampiric octopusssss's

(I know it's Octopi, but gotta keep my street cred up. :wink:)

On 10/21/2022 at 7:17 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I love Everett's artwork on that splash page.

Everett was the draw to me buying these and not letting them go. I NOW have the Masterworks reprinting these, but there's nothing like thumbing thru a vintage copy, the paper aroma, the texture of the page ... the color strike of the inks ... can't be captured with a Masterwork. Everett's name doesn't get called out much, but Everett, like Kirby, is one of the artists that produced fantastic artwork in 5 different decades. His 70s Subby was the exemplar that few ever captured. The pic below is from a copy not it the Thrifty Grocer collection of Subby #39 and it's classic 50s Everett!

Sub-Mariner 39 splash.jpg

On 10/24/2022 at 2:25 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

I'm just amazed by the page quality of these books. I've had white page book where the interior covers were tanned and tanned page book where the interior covers were white. So many factors go into how books age.

Thanks, and you're correct, so many things factor into how paper ages. The guy who stored these away was way ahead of his time in storage techniques! 

On 10/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, podboy66 said:

Great thread Jim!  Thanks for sharing, these 1950's Atlas superheroes title are tragically unrated by collectors, some of the best art and stories around.  

Thanks Vern! Ya know, I was pleasantly surprised at how well this little stash of books was received! A lot of fellow collectors were able to set aside the fact that the covers are gone and really appreciate the preservation of the collection! Makes me happy!  :)