• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta’s Best Cover?
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Was curious, as far as covers Frazetta did on comics, so not his original art but comics. Is there a particular book that is more or less universally considered his best cover art?

Would it be one of the Famous Funnies?

On 10/9/2022 at 1:16 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Was curious, as far as covers Frazetta did on comics, so not his original art but comics. Is there a particular book that is more or less universally considered his best cover art?

Would it be one of the Famous Funnies?

My best guess for covers would be Weird Science-Fantasy #29 ...which would've been a Famous Funnies cover, but in the midst of the CCA transition he revised it for Bill Gaines who was willing to fight for it's publication as the final WSF issue without the CCA stamp. At least that's the story as I understand it. The next issue of the series with continued numbering was retitled Incredible Science Fiction with toned down covers, CCA approved stories and bore the CCA stamp.

I've read that WSF 29 was considered the greatest SF comic cover ever, but that's not my opinion. 

Here's my dilapidated copy.  The cover date of June, 1955, was the last non-CCA stamped comic book, as all other publishers except Dell  seemed to acquiesce starting with the March, 1955 issues.

Weird Science Fantasy 29.jpg

On 10/8/2022 at 11:28 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

My best guess for covers would be Weird Science-Fantasy #29 ...which would've been a Famous Funnies cover, but in the midst of the CCA transition he revised it for Bill Gaines who was willing to fight for it's publication as the final WSF issue without the CCA stamp. At least that's the story as I understand it. The next issue of the series with continued numbering was retitled Incredible Science Fiction with toned down covers, CCA approved stories and bore the CCA stamp.

Yeah super cool cover! Here’s a gorgeous 9.2 on eBay. Overall it’s actually a rather affordable book, in mid grade at least.

8AECD71D-452C-4BAA-81A5-55D3438E4753.jpeg

On 10/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, fifties said:

I've read that WSF 29 was considered the greatest SF comic cover ever, but that's not my opinion. 

Here's my dilapidated copy.  The cover date of June, 1955, was the last non-CCA stamped comic book, as all other publishers except Dell  seemed to acquiesce starting with the March, 1955 issues.

Weird Science Fantasy 29.jpg

Dilapidated or not, awesome book to just own 👌

On 10/9/2022 at 12:23 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I noticed this Famous Funnies issue seems to be popular. I don’t know if what this seller is asking for their copy on eBay is a good price or not lol, but certainly not a cheap book in general. Really cool cover, love the red planet in the background!

57CB5983-276D-4CD8-89FF-53DC9181E8C7.jpeg

A 9.0 copy of Famous Funnies 214 is not going to be a cheap book by any stretch of the imagination, LOL!

Here's my copy of FF 212.  Damn glad I bagged it ages ago, as I doubt I could afford it now.

Famous Funnies 212.jpg

On 10/9/2022 at 12:30 AM, fifties said:

A 9.0 copy of Famous Funnies 214 is not going to be a cheap book by any stretch of the imagination, LOL!

Here's my copy of FF 212.  Damn glad I bagged it ages ago, as I doubt I could afford it now.

Famous Funnies 212.jpg

That is one hell of a book! And as far as the #214 goes, yeah I’m a bit perplexed by it. A 3.0 and 3.5 sold for a little $2K on heritage not long ago. But a 9.2 sold for about $8K in 2020. I’m not sure if it’s gone up that much, to the extent a 9.0 is worth over $100K like the seller on the bay is asking. I just don’t know much about sales, the low grade copies breaking $2K is strong, but yeah not sure. Regardless certainly not a cheap book indeed!

On 10/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, Robot Man said:

Hard to beat any of Frazetta’s Famous Funnies covers. Which one is the best? Personal choice I guess.
There is much more to Frazetta than just covers. His interior work is often overlooked. Here is a perfect example. I just got this the other day for $25. Yeah, not an exciting cover or title, but entirely Frazetta inside. I happen to like the stories. I also like Tomahawk. Revolutionary War era stories. Also unpopular and cheap. Superb art throughout. Why are these so cheap and overlooked? 

CDD8A21D-0521-4501-A31C-F0618EE03A0E.jpeg

2E44872C-34AB-42D4-9A3C-B99722556F15.jpeg

8C74193A-345A-4576-99F3-99D483416DD1.jpeg

726B8FDF-D5FD-425C-888A-F888225EECC6.jpeg

33ED7724-F0DB-43DC-8094-AF490AAD13FA.jpeg

That's an insanely cool book.  I just had no idea.  How many books did Frazetta completely do the interiors for? 

Going to hunt down a nice copy now.

On 10/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, Don Key said:

Me tell you? You're the OP, not me lol I was just wondering if magazines counted, since that's where many of his classics were published.

Well I’m the “inexperienced” OP 😂. Looking for outside opinions. But sure, all books count.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:28 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Definitely Weird Science-Fantasy 29. Simply amazing cover! interestingly, Frazetta draws the cover to the last issue of WSF and Wood does the cover for the final issue of Incredible Science Fiction - one of his greatest Sci-Fi covers. 

Edited by bronze johnny

On 10/9/2022 at 12:23 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I noticed this Famous Funnies issue seems to be popular. I don’t know if what this seller is asking for their copy on eBay is a good price or not lol, but certainly not a cheap book in general. Really cool cover, love the red planet in the background!

57CB5983-276D-4CD8-89FF-53DC9181E8C7.jpeg

I love this cover in general and wish I had a copy... but I would love it more if somebody could explain where the heck Buck and Wilma's legs are.