• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

Freedom of speech is not freedom of reach!

image.png.c90dc94dd1565ad17797b03c20a14cb9.png

[Edit for Lizards' sake: it's black and white.  No non-government private corporation or institution is required to extend the reach of anyone's speech.  Indeed, for speech that incites violence or treason, or spreads bigotry, hatred, or dangerous misinformation, there is an ethical obligation to not extend reach.]

Edited by namisgr

On 10/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, Jaxxon said:

Didn't ebay kick everyone off paypal when they went to managed payments?

Well, you can still use Paypal, you just can't use it for eBay sales.

What's odd is that last night I noticed that eBay is now, finally, offering on-demand payments, like I used to be able to get when Paypal was my payment processor. As most of you know, with Paypal you could have your money sent directly to your debit card in a matter of seconds; but when eBay started Managed Payments, all of it sudden it would take DAYS to get your money. First your payment was "processing", then after a day or so it would move to "Available", then the next day it would "Pay Out", and on the fourth day (if you're lucky) your money would actually appear in your bank account. Really drives me nuts.

Anyway, last night I was futzing around with the app, and noticed that they're now offering the ability to instantly dispatch funds to your debit card, for a small fee, like Paypal used to offer. This is a huge change, and hopefully a positive one. I'm still having to jump through hoops, as I had to get verified via having deposits made to my account, providing a bank statement, etc, but hopefully I'll be up and running shortly.

I haven't really used Paypal since ebay went to Managed Payments. Once in a blue moon I may sell some digital codes on the Bluray.com forums or something like that, but otherwise haven't had any need for Paypal. If this new instant pay feature on eBay works out, I will actually stop complaining about their ditching Paypal.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:45 AM, F For Fake said:

Well, you can still use Paypal, you just can't use it for eBay sales.

What's odd is that last night I noticed that eBay is now, finally, offering on-demand payments, like I used to be able to get when Paypal was my payment processor. As most of you know, with Paypal you could have your money sent directly to your debit card in a matter of seconds; but when eBay started Managed Payments, all of it sudden it would take DAYS to get your money. First your payment was "processing", then after a day or so it would move to "Available", then the next day it would "Pay Out", and on the fourth day (if you're lucky) your money would actually appear in your bank account. Really drives me nuts.

Anyway, last night I was futzing around with the app, and noticed that they're now offering the ability to instantly dispatch funds to your debit card, for a small fee, like Paypal used to offer. This is a huge change, and hopefully a positive one. I'm still having to jump through hoops, as I had to get verified via having deposits made to my account, providing a bank statement, etc, but hopefully I'll be up and running shortly.

I haven't really used Paypal since ebay went to Managed Payments. Once in a blue moon I may sell some digital codes on the Bluray.com forums or something like that, but otherwise haven't had any need for Paypal. If this new instant pay feature on eBay works out, I will actually stop complaining about their ditching Paypal.

I just checked my records and they (ebay) have been sending a payment to my checking within 24 hours of shipment automatically. I'm pretty happy with that.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:03 AM, Jaxxon said:

I just checked my records and they (ebay) have been sending a payment to my checking within 24 hours of shipment automatically. I'm pretty happy with that.

I had my account set to "Daily" payouts, but the delay came from their various stages. "Pending" took 24 hours, "Available" was another 24 hours, then they'd finally pay out but that STILL took another 24 hours to hit my checking account. Such a pain, compared to the days when Paypal was still connected to eBay, where I could have my cash a few minutes after the buyer paid. Oh well, I've gotten used to it, but I am definitely hoping this new instant pay option works out well. I guess we'll see!

On 10/12/2022 at 7:07 AM, F For Fake said:

I had my account set to "Daily" payouts, but the delay came from their various stages. "Pending" took 24 hours, "Available" was another 24 hours, then they'd finally pay out but that STILL took another 24 hours to hit my checking account. Such a pain, compared to the days when Paypal was still connected to eBay, where I could have my cash a few minutes after the buyer paid. Oh well, I've gotten used to it, but I am definitely hoping this new instant pay option works out well. I guess we'll see!

I wasn't aware you could get cash that fast with paypal. That's nice.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:13 AM, Jaxxon said:

I wasn't aware you could get cash that fast with paypal. That's nice.

Yes, it was handy. I'm assuming it still works the same way, though I haven't used it in a bit. You have to have the account connected to a debit card, and there is a fee (something like 1.5% or a minimum of 25 cents) but it's very handy indeed.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, F For Fake said:

Yes, it was handy. I'm assuming it still works the same way, though I haven't used it in a bit. You have to have the account connected to a debit card, and there is a fee (something like 1.5% or a minimum of 25 cents) but it's very handy indeed.

eBay has that option now as well

i forgot the fees but you can do instant transfers

also please don’t detail the thread - we can’t discuss anything positive about paypal

they are evil and must be crushed 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:21 AM, shadroch said:

Paying 1.5% to access your own money a day or two early is borderline stupid. In a life threatening situation, I could see a one time need, but to regularly pay to get you own money is ridiculous.

Wow. That's a strong statement. You don't know how he's using it. Sometimes speed is worth the price.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, Jaxxon said:

Wow. That's a strong statement. You don't know how he's using it. Sometimes speed is worth the price.

Any plan that requires you to give away 1.5% of your money to access it early on a regulat basis is financial suicide. Sadly, far too many people don't understand that.

Is that a strong enough statement for you?

Edited by shadroch

On 10/12/2022 at 7:32 AM, shadroch said:

Any plan that requires you to give away 1.5% of you money to access it early on a regulat basis is financial suicide. Sadly, far too many people don't understand that.

Is that a strong enough statement for you?

You seem angry.