• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For those who setup at local shows do you accept Credit cards or strictly Cash
1 1

36 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, Ares said:

I am setting up at a local show this weekend and I am have a question for those who sell their stuff at shows.

Do you deal strictly with cash during Sales or do you deal with credit cards thought apps like Square?

cash baby but remember legit $100 bills you can slide a paperclip under the hologram overlay:
You can slide through a paper clip between the ribbon and paper on a real $100  bill. : r/mildlyinteresting

On 10/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Keep receipts and you shouldn't have any issues.  It's not eBay/Paypal.  Credit Cards require proof of something wrong to void the charge.  Just saying "The comic wasn't as nice as I wanted" or "I didn't make that charge" isn't going to hold up if you come back with a receipt saying "I sold Jim Smith an AF15 for $125,000"

Not my experience with credit card companies...I personally disputed a charge once and it took almost nothing for them to side with me. I actually was expecting to have to fight much harder during the dispute and the credit card company didn't insist on that at all. I was very surprised. 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, NumminzAK said:

Not my experience with credit card companies...I personally disputed a charge once and it took almost nothing for them to side with me. I actually was expecting to have to fight much harder during the dispute and the credit card company didn't insist on that at all. I was very surprised. 

Sure, but they didn’t necessarily pull the funds of the company, their insurance carrier just reimbursed them so you didn’t have to pay.  

On 10/11/2022 at 2:47 PM, Ares said:

I may have to do Cash only after all. 

The Show is Sunday but I took to long to apply for the Square app. 

they can get it for me for a least a week. 

Square works well if you don't mind the fees.  We find it helps sales.  Another option that works very well is email transfers.  Buyer can do it on his phone and show you the payment and you can check it on your phone if you want. 

I do take cards but have a $10 minimum 

also please be aware that in the USA I’ve been told that you need a chip reader for cards that have a chip 

if you swipe those cards then the buyer can dispute the charge 

On 10/11/2022 at 8:51 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I do take cards but have a $10 minimum 

also please be aware that in the USA I’ve been told that you need a chip reader for cards that have a chip 

if you swipe those cards then the buyer can dispute the charge 

How you guys all don't have chip cards is beyond me.... That's like 20 year old technology lol

@Ares we'll see you on Sunday.  We take any way they want to pay us. Cash, card, etransfer PayPal. Of course some prices are better when we aren't getting a service fee. 

On 10/11/2022 at 11:07 PM, Iceman399 said:

How you guys all don't have chip cards is beyond me.... That's like 20 year old technology lol

@Ares we'll see you on Sunday.  We take any way they want to pay us. Cash, card, etransfer PayPal. Of course some prices are better when we aren't getting a service fee. 

What con is this weekend that I’m not aware of?

I find that a lot of the younger shoppers tend to not carry a lot of cash. I've done a bunch of shows now, and I have a sign that says I accept cash, credit cards, PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle. I think I've received payments through all of them. Some people really want to buy something, but just don't carry cash, so credit card is an easy option. Square is easy to use. I got the reader for free after a rebate, and they are available on Amazon Prime last I looked.

I think it's always a good idea to have multiple payment options available for customers, especially nowadays when a lot of people don't carry much cash with them.

Edited by patricia89