• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influencers Strike Again! Peach Momoko Overwhelmed at NYCC
5 5

113 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2022 at 3:41 PM, ExNihilo said:

Having never attended a major con, is it not possible for an artist to simply state "no line ups before10am"?  That way exhibitors have no advantage.  I guess you'd just get people hovering until 10am, but that's up to the convention organizers to maintain clear walkways and what not.

As for the discussion of WhatNot, I think the app has potential, it's just unfortunately run by a bunch of degenerates.  Before WhatNot, online sellers just did simple live sales via Instagram or Facebook, but there weren't any seller protections in place.  Someone could buy a book and then not pay and the seller would then have to repost the book.  Auctions/Sales also had to be tracked by the seller and there would be complaints about who got bids and claims in first (given each persons individual internet impacted the timing of comments).  WhatNot had some built in infrastructure to eliminate some of these issues.  Buyers had to register a payment status in advance.  Books could be listed before the live stream so buyers could see what was going up.  Auctions were managed by the app and rules on timing, sniping, etc could all be managed by the seller.  What you end up getting is a bunch of people who sound like they're on the home shopping network, just hyping up products to get sales.  There wasn't any real salesmanship and in some cases, the sales format made no sense from a marketing stand point.  I've seen auctions where sellers have posted the same book back to back.  The first buyer would get a book for $80 and then the next book would sell for $50.  So if you're the first buyer, you're kinda just wondering "wtf?"  On top of that, the bids for auctions weren't like eBay where you placed a max bid and it would auto bid on your behalf up until your max.  Instead it just straight increased the current bid to your max.  So if there was a $200 book you just had to have and you put a bid of $400 figuring no one would go above $300, too bad, $400 was the new current bid.  WhatNot could be an effective place for sales, but it's unfortunately attracted A LOT of the worst sellers in the business.

In SDCC, some artist may limit the amount of people with exhibitor badges to be able to get a commission through them like Artgerm did the last time I went by him a few years ago but the previous year when I got a commission for a friend, there were no limits.

Regardless, a lot of the early birds just bought regular badges as well so they swapped them at the start.

In SDCC, a lot of the exclusives became lottery and the other big ones like Mattel were just a free for all.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:35 AM, greggy said:

In SDCC, some artist may limit the amount of people with exhibitor badges to be able to get a commission through them like Artgerm did the last time I went by him a few years ago but the previous year when I got a commission for a friend, there were no limits.

Regardless, a lot of the early birds just bought regular badges as well so they swapped them at the start.

In SDCC, a lot of the exclusives became lottery and the other big ones like Mattel were just a free for all.

Mattel never met an idea they couldn't do wrong. 

I agree.  You can’t really expect it to fit in with the commonplace art techniques and styles used in occidental comics, and as a manga reader I think a lot of it is really quite nicely done.

Edited by Ken Aldred