• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influencers Strike Again! Peach Momoko Overwhelmed at NYCC
5 5

113 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2022 at 9:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Considering you can purchase views  and subscribers for YouTube, and that every time *you* view your video, it's a "view", or someone rewatching a video is a "view" - I just don't believe how many followers/subscribers/worshippers a "influencer" has is actually legitimate. The whole system is pretty scammy and designed to make people think that what they say is more important than someone else, and the entire system can be gamed since you only need to watch 30 seconds to be counted as a "view". But, it clearly works for some people - I'll admit, it's not all a scam - but I think it's importance is way overstated.

There's that one annoying click-bait girl on YouTube that gets "millions" of views, but if you look at the comments, 99% of them are bots. She's not that popular, it's just that some losers simp for her, and she pays for bots.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

There's an even better way. 

Pro Badges and Exhibitors are prohibited from getting autographs or sucking up the time of talent before the paying attendees have a chance.  If caught you lose your status.  

This is coming from someone who has a pro badge. 

Can I echo this? I was in the line for a Jim Lee autograph Friday morning, and the entire line was kept waiting 45m after the scheduled start time, just because Lee was doing private signings/sketchings for other pros/exhibitors.

Like, I get that you want to do that for some friends while you're in town together, and that's great...but don't do it during the scheduled time that other people have actually paid to get signatures. There were nearly a few fights in line and one person got ejected, because people had other paid, scheduled events that they were going to miss, all because Lee held up the line so long doing stuff for other pros/exhibitors. Meanwhile, even the staff were getting concerned, because people were already showing up and lining up for the next signing scheduled, which was only around 15m away by the time he got started with the first batch.

Every time I went near Momoko's line...it was insane. I walked by the booth a few times when nothing was happening and nobody was there. But when she was...man. The alley went insane each time.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Considering you can purchase views  and subscribers for YouTube, and that every time *you* view your video, it's a "view", or someone rewatching a video is a "view" - I just don't believe how many followers/subscribers/worshippers a "influencer" has is actually legitimate. The whole system is pretty scammy and designed to make people think that what they say is more important than someone else, and the entire system can be gamed since you only need to watch 30 seconds to be counted as a "view". But, it clearly works for some people - I'll admit, it's not all a scam - but I think it's importance is way overstated.

I don't know when we crossed the line from production-quality talk shows, to pooly-lit basement people filming op-eds inspired by 80's terrorist videos - but if Alan Moore wants to whine about the world getting dumber, I suggest he take a hard look at social media before he rails against Marvel movies.

I don't think Alan is saying the movies are the cause; rather that they are a symptom of the dumbing down of the audience.   I suspect he'd agree with your assessment of some of these videos.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:42 PM, MAR1979 said:

Just received my NYCC 2022 survey.  I will be issuing scathing comments about the self proclaimed illuminati Social Media Influencers

Or their more common name... Whatnot sellers.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

There's an even better way. 

Pro Badges and Exhibitors are prohibited from getting autographs or sucking up the time of talent before the paying attendees have a chance.  If caught you lose your status.  

This is coming from someone who has a pro badge. 

Having never attended a major con, is it not possible for an artist to simply state "no line ups before10am"?  That way exhibitors have no advantage.  I guess you'd just get people hovering until 10am, but that's up to the convention organizers to maintain clear walkways and what not.

As for the discussion of WhatNot, I think the app has potential, it's just unfortunately run by a bunch of degenerates.  Before WhatNot, online sellers just did simple live sales via Instagram or Facebook, but there weren't any seller protections in place.  Someone could buy a book and then not pay and the seller would then have to repost the book.  Auctions/Sales also had to be tracked by the seller and there would be complaints about who got bids and claims in first (given each persons individual internet impacted the timing of comments).  WhatNot had some built in infrastructure to eliminate some of these issues.  Buyers had to register a payment status in advance.  Books could be listed before the live stream so buyers could see what was going up.  Auctions were managed by the app and rules on timing, sniping, etc could all be managed by the seller.  What you end up getting is a bunch of people who sound like they're on the home shopping network, just hyping up products to get sales.  There wasn't any real salesmanship and in some cases, the sales format made no sense from a marketing stand point.  I've seen auctions where sellers have posted the same book back to back.  The first buyer would get a book for $80 and then the next book would sell for $50.  So if you're the first buyer, you're kinda just wondering "wtf?"  On top of that, the bids for auctions weren't like eBay where you placed a max bid and it would auto bid on your behalf up until your max.  Instead it just straight increased the current bid to your max.  So if there was a $200 book you just had to have and you put a bid of $400 figuring no one would go above $300, too bad, $400 was the new current bid.  WhatNot could be an effective place for sales, but it's unfortunately attracted A LOT of the worst sellers in the business.

It's all the same old, same old.

When there is blood in the water, there are sharks.

When there is money to be made, there will be people trying to capitalize on it, and if it happens for long enough, the frenzy will grow and grow.

This is true for annoying YouTube "influencers" that are pushing books for people to buy, flippers trying to get as many books possible, signed, to sell... and junkie fools buying up these books which fuels the fire.

She definitely has a talent, there's no question.

I actually went searching long and hard for some examples of her work that I'd consider buying.

There was a Black Cat cover which was well done, and her Red Sonja cover is very impressive.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, D2 said:

She definitely has a talent, there's no question.

I actually went searching long and hard for some examples of her work that I'd consider buying.

There was a Black Cat cover which was well done, and her Red Sonja cover is very impressive.

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics: