• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm out of the game- sold it all!!!!!!!!!!
2 2

63 posts in this topic

I've been actively selling off my collection for almost a year, and I've almost gotten to the point that the collection is officially "cherry-picked", so the opportunity to sell it all at once has passed. I believe I still have many months of consistent sales coming up, but no more of the thousand dollar single comic sales. Probably won't have many single issues sell for more than $50 from now on, but I think there are still a bunch of them in the $5-$20 range. That is substantial money considering I still have about 20,000 comics to go.

After selling ASM #1 and Avengers #1 (and some other big keys from each series), I realized I really didn't want to sell those 2 titles. I stopped before I got rid of all the best ones, but I did do some damage that will probably remain. I don't see myself buying copies of ASM 1, 2, 4, 14, 15, and 129 again. Same goes for Avengers 1, 4, and 8. Plus, I still have the rest of the issues from both titles if I need to raise a bunch of money quickly. Hopefully keeping these doesn't lead to compiling another collection, but I think I'm really done this time.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:16 PM, Ryan. said:

hm

I demand top dollar so not going to get 50 to 75 percent for my keys and let them take the rest for free. I know because that's how I got most my books. I would buy a collection just to get the nyx or blue marvel or whatever for $50 or $100 and take home every issue of Deadpool and Harley Quinn ever made. I sold the keys and collectible runs. I would like to just buy silver and bronze collections but I can't help myself. Buying the moderns is a good move. Storing them after I process them not so much. One day I will run out of storage and have to deal with them.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:05 PM, Pat Thomas said:

I've been actively selling off my collection for almost a year, and I've almost gotten to the point that the collection is officially "cherry-picked", so the opportunity to sell it all at once has passed. I believe I still have many months of consistent sales coming up, but no more of the thousand dollar single comic sales. Probably won't have many single issues sell for more than $50 from now on, but I think there are still a bunch of them in the $5-$20 range. That is substantial money considering I still have about 20,000 comics to go.

After selling ASM #1 and Avengers #1 (and some other big keys from each series), I realized I really didn't want to sell those 2 titles. I stopped before I got rid of all the best ones, but I did do some damage that will probably remain. I don't see myself buying copies of ASM 1, 2, 4, 14, 15, and 129 again. Same goes for Avengers 1, 4, and 8. Plus, I still have the rest of the issues from both titles if I need to raise a bunch of money quickly. Hopefully keeping these doesn't lead to compiling another collection, but I think I'm really done this time.

I am in the same boat pretty much. Been selling for  a decade. Movie bumps. Disney buying Fox. The health crisis bump really set me off though. I'm not going to package $5 or $20 books. It's a struggle to sell major keys. I like my play time too much. Probably just let them take up space. Read a few each year. Some have some nice covers. 

On 10/14/2022 at 4:30 AM, Buzzetta said:

I always recommend selling the lower tier stuff off first over time if you are conflicted in whether or not to pull the trigger.   When I dissolved the majority of my GI Joe collection, (Vintage and Modern) I sold off the easier to obtain pieces first in FB groups in claim thread sales.  Then I made some tougher decisions and sold off the harder to find items.  Out of the entire collection, there was only one figure that I kind of wanted back and I made sure to obtain it.  After that, what once took up multiple storage bins now fits into one small shoebox with no regrets. 

What was the one GI Joe that you got back?

Congrats on closing out a big sell of the stuff you wanted to let go.  I am sure once it is all gone you will be very relived.

All that said, what are the odds you stop in a comic book store during your travels and decide to pick up just one book for sentimental reasons. hm

On 10/14/2022 at 6:25 AM, batman_fan said:

Congrats on closing out a big sell of the stuff you wanted to let go.  I am sure once it is all gone you will be very relived.

All that said, what are the odds you stop in a comic book store during your travels and decide to pick up just one book for sentimental reasons. hm

None.  I will be picking up the Taschen books as they are released, and will most certainly be stopping in shops as I wander, but any buying I do will be with the intention of flipping. It took 2/3rds of a lifetime but I'm finally over my stuffitas .

On 10/14/2022 at 9:00 AM, shadroch said:

None.  I will be picking up the Taschen books as they are released, and will most certainly be stopping in shops as I wander, but any buying I do will be with the intention of flipping. It took 2/3rds of a lifetime but I'm finally over my stuffitas .

You finally completed step 12 of your 12 step program !  :applause:

On 10/14/2022 at 6:47 AM, Dave2739 said:

What was the one GI Joe that you got back?

Well, I wound up keeping v1, v1.5, v2, and v3 Snake Eyes along with a handful of a few other figures.  I think I kept about 25 figures in all between modern and vintage. 

The one figure I wanted back was a modern custom of my own design.  The figures had become pricy.  It was a modern custom of Airborne.   Hasbro never made one to my liking so I had to buy a couple of figures and accessories to do a parts swap.  (25th Airborne head, helmet, and backpack, Steel Brigade clean shirt with holster variant body and rifle along with retro snake eyes pistol knife and silencer.)

297788711_10158824073022963_3749388323223564382_n.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 10/14/2022 at 5:14 PM, Buzzetta said:

Well, I wound up keeping v1, v1.5, v2, and v3 Snake Eyes along with a handful of a few other figures.  I think I kept about 25 figures in all between modern and vintage. 

The one figure I wanted back was a modern custom of my own design.  The figures had become pricy.  It was a modern custom of Airborne.   Hasbro never made one to my liking so I had to buy a couple of figures and accessories to do a parts swap.  (25th Airborne head, helmet, and backpack, Steel Brigade clean shirt with holster variant body and rifle along with retro snake eyes pistol knife and silencer.)

297788711_10158824073022963_3749388323223564382_n.jpg

That's a good-lookin' Airborne!

99% of my collection sat in white boxes or was slabbed, so it isn't like I was reading them. My "stuff", while great was becoming an anchor.  My next move is to purge half my baseball cards. i'm trying to complete the Topps sets from 1958-1970, but along the way I've gotten way too many duplicates so the goal is to prune them down. I also have about 80% of the 1955 Bowman cards, but none of the top ten most expensive cards so that is something to look at. The nice thing is 32,000  raw cards fit in about the same space as forty slabs. I can fit my top five hundred cards in a small box and travel with them. 

I'm sure I will have regrets, but who doesn't. Time to turn the page.

On 10/16/2022 at 11:05 AM, shadroch said:

I'm sure I will have regrets, but who doesn't. Time to turn the page.

I’ve sold so many things over the years. 
Some regrets. 
I can probably count on 1 hand the items I regret selling. 
In doing so, I also rid myself of literally thousands of items that weighed me down. 

Can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. 

On 10/14/2022 at 11:00 AM, shadroch said:

I went to a comic and toy show today.  It was 90% comics, 10% toys. 

I only let 1 comic get my attention.   But was happy to walk away without caving in. 

Patrick

On 10/16/2022 at 6:34 PM, followtheleader said:

I went to a comic and toy show today.  It was 90% comics, 10% toys. 

I only let 1 comic get my attention.   But was happy to walk away without caving in. 

Patrick

So how long till you reach out to the dealer to find out if he ships?  :baiting: