• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tec 27 found in the wild 15 years ago?

18 posts in this topic

Found this video about a comic store owner named Todd McDevitt, who was lucky enough to buy a Tec 27 from a random person back in 2007. They just brought it into his shop. Anyone know what came of this copy? Was it ever graded and if so what did it come back? From what I can see of it in the video, looks pretty damn nice!

Edited by LDarkseid1

The book was offered to his competition Eide's Entertainment  which is the COOLEST COMIC BOOK SHOP IN THE USA IMO.  Owner convinced it was trimmed by the Bob Kane sig.  Offered to pay to get it graded to prove it.  Todd declined.  Last time I spoke to Todd was 2015. he still had it then

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 10/13/2022 at 7:50 AM, Chicago Boy said:

No doubt.  Just giving the OP some BG as I know it

Bummer if it's trimmed, but yeah amazing book regardless!

@tth2 Yeah without a doubt, between now and 15 years ago, well worth it to get it graded now in spite of the potential trimming. I'm sure he got it for a great price back then, and especially having waited this long.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:09 AM, Chicago Boy said:

The book was offered to his competition Eide's Entertainment  which is the COOLEST COMIC BOOK SHOP IN THE USA IMO.  Owner convinced it was trimmed by the Bob Kane sig.  Offered to pay to get it graded to prove it.  Todd declined.  Last time I spoke to Todd was 2015. he still had it then

Countless copies of this issue don't have the whole Bob Kane signature, so I don't know why the signature would be the tell-tale sign of trimming.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:31 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Countless copies of this issue don't have the whole Bob Kane signature, so I don't know why the signature would be the tell-tale sign of trimming.

I remember when this story first came out. For some reason I felt that the trimming rumor was due to sour grapes on someone's part. I don't know for sure, though.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:08 AM, MrBedrock said:

The book was graded. It was not trimmed. It is blue label. Todd still has it.

Oh that's awesome! I wonder what grade it came back. Once again, looked like a pretty clean copy.

And I found another example of this situation but with a high grade AF15 from 5 years ago in Canada. The book actually looks like it's contained in a deslabbed CGC Mylar. It kind of looks like the way the guy handles it, he could be warping the book lol.

Also it almost looks too perfect to be honest, as if it had some resto, but tough to say for sure.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Gareth looks nervous on camera.   Nice guy in person.   I purchased from him a few times back in the day.   IIRC he was a former employee of Island Fantasy (formerly in Victoria) which was one of the first comic stores in western canada.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/14/2022 at 12:44 PM, Bronty said:

Gareth looks nervous on camera.   Nice guy in person.   I purchased from him a few times back in the day.   IIRC he was a former employee of Island Fantasy (formerly in Victoria) which was one of the first comic stores in western canada.

He did look a little nervous. Less composed than Todd lol

On 10/14/2022 at 12:19 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

And I found another example of this situation but with a high grade AF15 from 5 years ago in Canada. The book actually looks like it's contained in a deslabbed CGC Mylar. It kind of looks like the way the guy handles it, he could be warping the book lol.

Also it almost looks too perfect to be honest, as if it had some resto, but tough to say for sure.

"One of the rarest comic books in the entire world."  xD

On 10/15/2022 at 12:51 AM, RareHighGrade said:

"One of the rarest comic books in the entire world."  xD

Yes, absolutely. AF15 is so rare, that you will never have more than 30-40 different copies to choose from at any given time.

Edited by Gotham Kid