Thoughts on CGC graded games
0

22 posts in this topic

Curious as to people's first impressions, whether they plan to submit, thoughts on the holder and label, etc etc.?

What about the nature of marketplace, do we need more grading co's, will some of them consolidate, which companies will catch on and which may go by the wayside, etc?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be finding out soon, have a box packed and ready to ship. Probably have some more before too long, hopefully before the prices go up.(you know they will)

The CGC holders look fine, not a fan of WATA holders, they don't stack, and don't fit in my spare comic boxes very well, plus they are fugly. I have ONE WATA game, bought it by accident, don't ask...:violin:

I haven't had anything graded in a couple years due mostly to the pandemic and prices.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I packed up and sent in 6 games that I have been waiting nearly a year for this exact day.  Scheduled to arrive in Sarasota Tuesday from Michigan.  Five of them are probably worth $200-500, the sixth is worth a couple thousand. 

I completely agree most grading company holders are not attractive.  I just need to be sure my games are protected.  Sitting in a drawer in a box, eventually something bad was going to happen to one or all of them.  I've had cards and comics sent in to CGC in the past for a similar reason, but most of the comics and cards I send in are for value.  You are absolutely correct that the price of having them graded will never be cheaper than it is right now, but it's also likely that the first batch of games being graded will be in the worst holders CGC will ever make for video games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2022 at 10:50 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

Very exited. I am gonna send this probably next week: 

Its not a high grade but it will look nice slabbed

I always preffered VGA holder over Wata because its simple and elegant and i think CGC holders resembles VGA.

 

20221009_195414.thumb.jpg.1379b4d2328d70d5785599ec73fc368f.jpg

 

You should be able to remove the sticker residue with some goo gone, just use a q-tip and go slow. (sold at Walmart, etc) You only need 1 bottle, mine has lasted me years.

It will look better if you can, just don't pick at it too much (looks like someone tried), it should just about fall off if you let it soak a little. (stay inside the line with the q-tip)

If it wasn't on the front, I wouldn't worry about it, but it detracts on the front. That's just me, do or don't whatever works for you.

Some stickers are not worth trying because they have already distorted the wrapper, so I don't bother with those.

 

googone.jpg

Edited by Makmorn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 8:48 AM, Makmorn said:

You should be able to remove the sticker residue with some goo gone, just use a q-tip and go slow. (sold at Walmart, etc) You only need 1 bottle, mine has lasted me years.

It will look better if you can, just don't pick at it too much (looks like someone tried), it should just about fall off if you let it soak a little. (stay inside the line with the q-tip)

If it wasn't on the front, I wouldn't worry about it, but it detracts on the front. That's just me, do or don't whatever works for you.

Some stickers are not worth trying because they have already distorted the wrapper, so I don't bother with those.

 

googone.jpg

Good advice  I learned via youtube. Problem is that the ventholes are very close so i have to be extremly careful

Something i liked about Wata is that they used to have a "deep cleaning" service. I used them once and they removed a giant nasty magnet sticker from a ps2 game. They did a great job.

I think they stopped providing that service because they ruined a Pokemon game last year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah, that was a good service.   a little heat from a hairdryer (just a bit) can help as well.   and I've heard of people sticking games in the freezer to get security tags off.   That one makes me a little uncomfortable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 10:10 AM, Bronty said:

I thought you might enjoy seeing the OA.   It’s in my CAF but I have it hidden. 

B9889DAA-64FB-42AE-BE3A-132884FFBD8D.png

As People collect Video Game art I wonder if there will ever be a VAF.

Video

Art

Fans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, Ares said:

As People collect Video Game art I wonder if there will ever be a VAF.

Video

Art

Fans

There will be a site that has aspect and some other aspects that I will be an admin on.    It will be live by November 1.   More details once open.

Edited by Bronty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 11:57 AM, Bronty said:

There will be a site that has aspect and some other aspects that I will be an admin on.    It will be live by November 1.   More details once open.

And like 8 minutes after I posted that, Ibrahim (site founder) just posted this on social media, so I guess its fine to share here too:

 

Ibrahim
 
The time has finally arrived where we share (OVGA) https://www.originalvideogameart.com A project that has been in the works for the past two years. Experience classic video game boxes of the ‘80s and ‘90s in an entirely new way with the launch of OriginalVideoGameArt.com: a platform, virtual gallery, and forum dedicated to the sharing and appreciation of original video game artwork and the responsible artists. Going live November 1, 2022, Original Video Game Art (OVGA) showcases these original paintings in their full glory for both seasoned collectors and those new to the hobby. OVGA endeavors to further the appreciation and awareness of video game art. Collectors passionate about video games and original artwork compile, create, and moderate the content on OVGA free of charge. The website stores two databases, one for cataloging art and the other for indexing artist information. The site also features a forum for in-depth discussion, while serving as a resource for questions on art conservation, storage, and framing. OVGA will go live on November 1, 2022 and can be found at https://www.originalvideogameart.com
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 10:31 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

Good advice  I learned via youtube. Problem is that the ventholes are very close so i have to be extremly careful

Something i liked about Wata is that they used to have a "deep cleaning" service. I used them once and they removed a giant nasty magnet sticker from a ps2 game. They did a great job.

I think they stopped providing that service because they ruined a Pokemon game last year

Yeah, if it's close to a vent hole then maybe not. VGA used to clean too, had them remove a sticker from a SNES game ages ago. Think they stopped doing that too.

SNES games are the worst to ship, kinda big and easily smashed. Not easy to pack them safely, you're lucky to get more than a few in a box by the time you have enough bubble wrap to feel safe. Think rectangular eggs...:gossip:

I always sent SNES in first, even when I had them in a clear plastic case, they made me worry. Fine once graded, then you have some thicker plastic between the game and the environment.

Disc games are much easier to ship (IMO).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2022 at 10:50 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

Very exited. I am gonna send this probably next week: 

Its not a high grade but it will look nice slabbed

I always preffered VGA holder over Wata because its simple and elegant and i think CGC holders resembles VGA.

 

20221009_195414.thumb.jpg.1379b4d2328d70d5785599ec73fc368f.jpg

 

Ask for a cleaning will help,nice one(thumbsu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before 

20221009_195414.thumb.jpg.1d8c7dcd3b4e5944a6d83f23ce5e4a1e.jpg

After.

A mark remains and the seal is damaged with finger wear. Previous owner tried to pull out the price tag without any care

20221015_085342.thumb.jpg.22229eb29ff11eef345e72072d17081a.jpg

I also made some research and acording to Wata 3 versions exists:

- Made in Japan Rated (most common , my copy)

- Made in Japan unrated (uncommon)

- Made in Mexico 

They actually have 26 sealed graded copies 

Edited by Mijael.Levy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0