• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NFT Comics: Game changer or Bust?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2022 at 5:05 PM, Krydel4 said:

I took that to mean :

Common 2.0-4.0

Uncommon 5.0-7.0

Rare 8.0-9.4

Epic 9.6-10

My best guess.

I get that, but the idea that they would add "digital wear" is totally weird.  That's got to be some kind of creative position- after all I assume the Digital Wear will need to be done accurately and tastefully, no?  They'll have to hire a "Digital Degrader"?  Then will they need to have the digitally degraded NFTs sent to cgc for grading?  Will cgc have to open a NFT grading dept?  

On 10/25/2022 at 7:03 PM, Black Bat said:

This is my favorite- "Digital Wear". How freaking wtf is that?

Each DC Collectible Comic will have one of five levels of rarity that are randomly assigned at the time of purchase: Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic or Legendary. If purchasing from the Legacy Comics collection, the rarity levels correlate to the digital wear that will appear on the comic book. A Common graded book may look faded and aged while the Legendary comic features a more pristine look to it.

370799AB-07F6-47B2-925A-CE6EE94B5846.gif.add3c597c77788e37165a269213a2165.gif

On 10/26/2022 at 2:55 AM, Qalyar said:

NFT Comics, 2008 edition. They don't make any more sense now.

image.png.e701ee350fbd7df62220cf5383fb31e1.png

If that had been by Stan Lee rather than 'David Thorne', they would've considered that drawing a bargain.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Qalyar said:

NFT Comics, 2008 edition. They don't make any more sense now.

image.png.e701ee350fbd7df62220cf5383fb31e1.png

That was a classic troll. There's a reason the spider only has 7 legs. 

On 10/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, Cat said:

Wal-Mart and Target in America have both recently announced NFT dealies for comic figures, being Batman and TMNT, respectively. I don't know why all these companies think now is the perfect time. Must just have taken that long for their dev teams to come up with anything. At least with Targets there seems to be physical figures involved somehow. I don't understand how they work because I only gave them a cursory read, which is frankly more than they deserve. 

Regarding your comments that I bold typed, for the most part, I think you're right! Having worked in corporate hell long enough (Warner Bros. included), I think I know how this works. So I'll say this from experience... from conception to launch, large projects move at a very slow pace with millions poured into them and that are mired in politics up and down the hierarchy chain. At some point during the project, the stakeholders, who at most have a surface level understanding of the technology, come to realize NFTs are not the future. BUT...it's a moving train and they figure it's best to see it through to the end. They'll write off the losses, maybe also offset those losses with downsizing, err.. I mean "rightsizing", and deal with the short-term bad publicity.

Then again I could be way off and DC's NFT project becomes a disrupter in the collectibles space.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:10 AM, Black Bat said:

I get that, but the idea that they would add "digital wear" is totally weird.  That's got to be some kind of creative position- after all I assume the Digital Wear will need to be done accurately and tastefully, no?  They'll have to hire a "Digital Degrader"?  Then will they need to have the digitally degraded NFTs sent to cgc for grading?  Will cgc have to open a NFT grading dept?  

Don’t see the point to it, without the feel of a real comic book and the odour of newsprint.

An incomplete, sterile, artificial attempt at simulation.

And that’s me as a digital reader, but accepting the differences between the two.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, Cat said:

That was a classic troll. There's a reason the spider only has 7 legs. 

Wasn't that from Something Awful? That picture tickled my thinkin' meat's memory banks.

I don't understand the attraction to this stuff at all but I guarantee that people will make money on it.

I started collecting free digital cards over 5 years ago for fun and it turns out people started selling them for nominal amounts ($1-$2).  Just like NFTs, I couldn't understand why people would want to buy free digital cards but sure enough I put them up for sale and they have continued to sell over the last 3 months.  I don't get it but I'll take the money.