• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know anything about publisher Gateway Comics from the 80s
1 1

21 posts in this topic

This book is the indie comics product of Terry Krock (-script) and Bart Ciancone (art), who lived at the time in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. I don't really know much about Gateway as a publisher, but there's really not much to know; this is the only book they appear to have ever released. It's entirely possible that Gateway wasn't anything more than Krock, Ciancone, and their friends. In any case, they'd test-marketed a #0 preview issue in Kelowna (as "Voodoo Comics"), but this one got much wider distribution and isn't particularly rare. Despite promising quarterly issues, this is the last the world saw of Shadow Warrior.

Ciancone was a lot better artist than most of the people putting out these sorts of indies, but as far as I know, this was also his last effort to produce comics art for publication.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, mephistopheles said:

Found this while re-bagging my collection and it's not listed on GoCollect.

shadow.png

There should be some publisher information either on the splash page or the inside cover.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:02 PM, shadroch said:

There should be some publisher information either on the splash page or the inside cover.

You'd think so, but there really isn't. Which is part of why I think this really was just Krock and Ciancone's show.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, mephistopheles said:

Found this while re-bagging my collection and it's not listed on GoCollect.

shadow.png

Mycomicshop has Gateway doing a four issue series in 2012.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:06 PM, shadroch said:

Mycomicshop has Gateway doing a four issue series in 2012.

Almost certainly not the same Gateway, since Shadow Warrior was the product of some guys in British Columbia and the Gateway Comics logo on Stalker -- the 2012 book -- looks like the St. Louis Arch.

The 1980's saw a lot of grand ideas & big dreams for comic book series & whole companies go down after only a few issues.I am still running into stuff I never heard of before nearly 40 years later.Cool book though.

On 10/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, Toz said:

The 1980's saw a lot of grand ideas & big dreams for comic book series & whole companies go down after only a few issues.I am still running into stuff I never heard of before nearly 40 years later.Cool book though.

First you needed a catchy name, then you get a semi-known artist to do a kool promo poster that you have sent to 5,000 comics shops. Hopefully you get advance orders that justify printing the book. Once you have the orders, you hire a writer and get some teenage wanna be to draw it.  Everything was great until distributors started dropping like flies and not paying the publishers. No one saw that part of the equation coming.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:23 AM, bronze_rules said:

I must be time travelling, because I could swear I read this thread weeks, if not months ago. Esp. the reply from whisp.

Yeah I found the book in a friends collection that was from BC and asked about it.  Someone pm'd me about the book and this thread.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:23 AM, bronze_rules said:

I must be time travelling, because I could swear I read this thread weeks, if not months ago. Esp. the reply from whisp.

I was just thinking the exact same thing lol