• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC still taking several days to open submissions?
3 3

81 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

I sent an ME order that was delivered to CGC on Wed Oct 26th.  It still has not been scanned in by CGC, let alone received.  I sent them an e-mail inquiring about this today.  But it sounds like your experience is similar to mine.

My order/shipment still has not been scanned in by CGC (tracking # does not show as scanned in the "Confirm Package Delivery" function).  However, it WAS received with status of SFG today.

ME delivered 11/2.
Still not entered.
7 business days.
My last 10 book shipment to CGC was completed within 7 business days.
(see below)
Either McFarlane books clogging the line or writing ME does nothing at all...

September Modern Slow Boat Shipment
Received by CGC            09/08
Scheduled for Grading     09/08
Credit Card Charged        09/09 (1 business day later / 1 business day total)
Grading / Quality Control 09/14 (3 business days later / 4 business days total)
Shipped                            09/19 (3 business days later / 7 business days total)

Answer is yes.
Finally entered.

Paul Dini Signing Mechanical Error Submission
Shipped                        11/1
Delivered                      11/2 (1 business day later / 1 day total)
Scheduled for Grading 11/17 (11 business days later / 12 days total)

Edited by troy.division

I had to call them on 11/15 regarding my ME delivered on 10/24. Customer service was very helpful and my submission showed up on my account a couple of hours later. No idea why it was sitting in Receiving for so long, but the issue did get resolved with a phone call.

This thread has been very helpful. I sent in an ME submission a few weeks ago that did not show up in the system until last night. During that time I knew what was up from reading through replies to the OP, so I did not waste my time and theirs by calling support to try to figure out what was going on and instead I just patiently waited for it to appear in the system. 

Edited by Stefan_W

@CGC Mike

Mechanical Errors should be the highest priority of boxes/invoices over WK and EX if you are going by business morals and ethics. 

M/E's are damaged CGC cases and to be fair are more the product of bad handling by the shipping service than CGC packaging, however those are invoices that were not completed to completion of the paying customer.  They have to take the highest priority in the encapsulation room.

All legitimate M/E invoices shipped back to CGC should be opened and re-slabbed within 3-5 business days I think is a perfectly acceptable timetable for most customers/dealers, however that is not the case currently.  

Customers should not be penalized with double TaT's if their damage is legitimate in return shipping back to their house or business.

Legitimate M/E 

• CGC case is cracked or broken
  • debris in CGC case
  • hair in CGC case
  • mislabeling
  • severe scratches 

Now I do think CGC's much thicker plastic protective sleeve will drastically cut down on the minor scuffing and light scratches which I am sure was many peoples returns.  What does not count as legitimate M/E are OCD collectors whose requests are utterly ridiculous, and so I do side with CGC on those type of people.

I personally don't mind waiting a month or whatever as I submit a good amount of books  every month to CGC.  It for me just becomes part of my monthly business model in the rare occurrences that I have to send cracked slabs back to CGC, however I do feel for the customers (non-dealers) who just want their personal books back. 

In my opinion I think CGC has done some really good things in the past year to streamline their business and cut down on grading TaTs.  I just think this problem would be a really easy fix to implement immediately, and would go a long way in strengthening their market shares in the hobby with their customers. 2c

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Mechanical Errors should be the highest priority of boxes/invoices over WK and EX if you are going by business morals and ethics. 

M/E's are damaged CGC cases and to be fair are more the product of bad handling by the shipping service than CGC packaging, however those are invoices that were not completed to completion of the paying customer.  They have to take the highest priority in the encapsulation room.

All legitimate M/E invoices shipped back to CGC should be opened and re-slabbed within 3-5 business days I think is a perfectly acceptable timetable for most customers/dealers, however that is not the case currently.  

Customers should not be penalized with double TaT's if their damage is legitimate in return shipping back to their house or business.

Legitimate M/E 

• CGC case is cracked or broken
  • debris in CGC case
  • hair in CGC case
  • mislabeling
  • severe scratches 

Now I do think CGC's much thicker plastic protective sleeve will drastically cut down on the minor scuffing and light scratches which I am sure was many peoples returns.  What does not count as legitimate M/E are OCD collectors whose requests are utterly ridiculous, and so I do side with CGC on those type of people.

Agreed.
Which is why I want to ask the question of CGC Leadership.
There doesn't appear to be any hurry to correct them.

• Administrator
On 12/1/2022 at 3:48 PM, troy.division said:

@CGC Mike
Honest Questions for CGC Leadership -
What turnaround tier should Mechanical Errors fall under and why?

On 12/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

@CGC Mike

Hey guys 

Here is a statement from leadership regarding ME's:

Mechanical Errors are prioritized by CGC and pulled from shipping as soon as they arrive. As a reminder, customers should write “ME” on the sides of their box to expediate this process.

ME’s can cover a wide range of issues, and some take longer to process than others depending on the issue. When an ME order is opened, it’s logged into the system (along with the reason for the ME) and then transfers to a team that removes the comics from the holders. From there:

• Holder issues are transferred to encapsulation for reholdering, QC and shipping.
  • Label issues are transferred to the research team who identifies and corrects any errors. Those orders are then transferred to encapsulation for reholdering, QC and shipping.
  • Book issues are transferred to a team of graders who evaluates each comic in question. Once completed, they are transferred to encapsulation for reholdering, QC and shipping.
  • Book issues that require CCS service are transferred to CCS, then back to the grading team for re-evaluation. Once completed they are transferred to encapsulation for reholder, QC and shipping.

The time required to complete an ME order takes longer with each subsequent step, so turnaround times on ME’s may vary widely from order to order. CGC prioritizes each of these steps to insure that the orders are returned to the customer as fast as possible.