• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*Grade In!* Sensation Comics #28 1944
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Thinking old school, when I look at this cover I can hear the theme song from the 70s “Wonder Woman “ tv show :) Could some please share thoughts on what you think this would grade if I send it in. Thanks I promise more and better pictures tomorrow 

73EC4FE5-7A01-49B2-8D51-04AABAF02C66.jpeg

2C924906-434C-4FD0-8484-CC641380AE08.jpeg

Edited by John Worley
To add new heading

For a book this age with some discoloration issues on the cover, I'd like to see inner cover shots and something that gives an idea of the interior page quality. That being said, this is a sharp looking copy. Looks like a sun/dust shadow on the bottom edge of the reverse side, and some kind of browning around the right edge of the front cover. Pending additional photos, 7.5±0.5 as a GA book should get a little leniency. Also worth while having someone used to detecting restoration give it a once over. This was a suggestion someone else made recently for another GA book that look to be in the same class as this one.

On 11/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, scburdet said:

For a book this age with some discoloration issues on the cover, I'd like to see inner cover shots and something that gives an idea of the interior page quality. That being said, this is a sharp looking copy. Looks like a sun/dust shadow on the bottom edge of the reverse side, and some kind of browning around the right edge of the front cover. Pending additional photos, 7.5±0.5 as a GA book should get a little leniency. Also worth while having someone used to detecting restoration give it a once over. This was a suggestion someone else made recently for another GA book that look to be in the same class as this one.

Not sure how to go about checking for any restoration but I will post more pictures

Maybe 5.0 tops. Lotta edge tanning inside back cover, and that lower corner is too noticeable, like the edge chip cited above. Those are 3 limitations on an otherwise nice-presenting copy. I know @Primetimesaid grading standards were looser in the 90’s but I think this not an example of that. I think your sticker is an example of someone who couldn’t grade well, as they dutifully noted much of the existing damage and still overgraded it. While things were generally looser I don’t think those denoted collective flaws fit in a VF- bucket then or now.

I still think your copy presents well for the grade, and as a buyer I’d pay a little more for it than a general wear 4.5 or 5.0 that might have more stress lines, less gloss, but no shadows or chips etc. I bet it looks north of 6.0 at a distance of 10 feet. It’s a beauty; pop it in a Mylar and enjoy it!

On 11/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, John Worley said:

2C924906-434C-4FD0-8484-CC641380AE08.jpeg

This picture is so bizarre.  I've never seen H.G. Peter's linework appear choppy like later Pike work.  Wonder Woman looks like she was drawn by a really good five year old.

It's gotta be the camera....

On 11/13/2022 at 9:05 AM, John Worley said:

Do you think it would be good to press this book or just leave it as is? Can you please share your thoughts as I’m not sure

"No" to pressing.  It won't help put the chip back.  It won't remove the sun stains.  It can't do anything for the impacted corner(s).  2c