• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

393 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 2:20 PM, Mississippi Mudcats said:

The Slobodian book has been a topic of discussion for some time. I do believe the reported sale on GPA of over $200k is a fake and said so in my registry set.

For a long time, I also would've assumed it was a fake sale, but based on some reported private sales during Covid of other DC and Marvel mega-keys at insane prices to a buyer, who then recently unloaded several at a huge loss, I'm now inclined to believe that it could be a real number.    

On 6/15/2024 at 2:20 PM, Mississippi Mudcats said:

But if anyone comes across a nice Issue #39 in 9.0 or above, we (my son and I) would very much like to upgrade our #39 8.5. I have not seen one for sale since we started our Metal Men set. 

Very tough book.  The best I've come up with was a raw copy I owned from a long way back, which graded out only to 8.0 when I submitted it to CGC.  NEVER seen any higher grade slabs come up for sale on any of the auction sites.  

On 6/15/2024 at 2:54 PM, Mississippi Mudcats said:

Interesting, I never knew Brulato ever slummed enough to buy any DCs. I would love to see his books registered, what would he have 30-40 million registry points?  It would just be fun to see all the pics. 

He doesn't collect DCs as far as I know but will acquire them opportunistically if he thinks he can flip them at a decent profit.  I bought a bunch of Legions from him back in the day.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:20 AM, Mississippi Mudcats said:

At any rate, we have debated delisting all our books as you kind of feel stupid when the fact that you may have overpaid for a book is disclosed to the world. I feel like that was suggested a little in this thread on our Showcases  #34-36 and that may be right, but I can promise you we paid nowhere close to six figures for the set.

I wouldn't let that put you off.  Sure, people (including myself :foryou:) can be snarky about prices, but there's usually an element of envy underlying the snark. 

I certainly received no shortage of comments ranging from snark to outright criticism when I was paying record prices for SA DC and GA Ducks back in the day.  I always just liked to think that he who laughs last laughs loudest.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:31 AM, tth2 said:

I can help fill in some of the chain of ownership on these books.

I bought the WP Showcase 35 & 36 in 2004 directly from Tom Hanlin/Linmoth, who is the guy who slabbed them after having bought them directly from the OO (I think).  They were originally 9.6 OW-W and 9.6 OW, respectively, in old label slabs.

I sold them in the same slabs in May 2007 on Heritage.  It turns out I knew the collector who ended up buying them, so when a big SA collector told me he was looking for them, I was able to help broker a deal in 2009 (still in the same slabs).  The funny thing is that this collector was the same collector who had sold me a big run of Western Penn Flash back in early 2003 (yes, it can be a very incestuous hobby at times).

I unfortunately fell out of touch with this collector, but apparently at some point he sold them to a couple of other collectors who starting from 2009 began sweeping up just about every ultra-HG mega-key SA DC they could get their hands on.  For all I know, the collector I brokered the deal with was himself brokering a deal for these other collectors!  Then 4 or 5 years ago those collectors started shopping their collection around.  Whether they were the sellers to you, or there was one or more intermediate purchasers in between, I don't know.  And clearly the books were reslabbed and regraded at some point after 2009. 

Thanks, that makes some sense. The guy who I got the books from, who likes to stay anonymous, had an incredible collection of SA DCs-undoubtedly the ultra HG collector you referenced. He sold most of them off over the last 5-6 years. I bought some books directly from him and some at auction, but I by no means got them all. He stills collects and buys and sells comics, but his focus has changed. His books were never registered, but he was like the Brulato of DCs. 

I am not a good judge of grading, but I do have a lot of 9.6s that look worse than the Showcase #34. Unfortunately, grading is so subjective that it is one of the most frustrating things about this hobby. I know I have upgraded dozens of books where I have sold my under-copy, only to see that book reappear in the market at a higher grade, sometimes higher than the book that replaced it in our collection. I really wish that CGC would only grade a book once. 

Thanks for the info and take care… 

On 6/16/2024 at 12:58 AM, Mississippi Mudcats said:

I know I have upgraded dozens of books where I have sold my under-copy, only to see that book reappear in the market at a higher grade, sometimes higher than the book that replaced it in our collection. I really wish that CGC would only grade a book once. 

This is a major reason why I pretty much got out of collecting comic books.  Being someone who had focused on books that had historically been considered to be really hard to find in ultra-HG, and then realizing that a perfect storm of pressing (and other manipulation), resubbing and re-resubbing and general CGC inconsistency could make many previously tough books almost a dime a dozen, killed off most of my enthusiasm.  

On 6/15/2024 at 5:38 PM, tth2 said:

Very tough book.  The best I've come up with was a raw copy I owned from a long way back, which graded out only to 8.0 when I submitted it to CGC.  NEVER seen any higher grade slabs come up for sale on any of the auction sites.  

SAM I AM, picked up the Don/Maggie 9.0 for his set back in 2014. Unlikely to sell it I guess although someone is keen to buy it. (I assume thats you Tom). 

I'm going for a couple upgrades in the next comic link auction in a couple days time. 

On 6/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, tth2 said:

even if the miswrap used to drive my OCD-addled brain a little nuts.

If true, then this 9.2 Showcase 39 should drive you over the edge, Tim! (NOT mine. Taken from the Gallery)

I do agree on miswraps. Nothing like nicely centered comics! Baseball cards grading takes it seriously, not so much in comics!

comic

Edited by DanCooper

Not particularly great for me either last night. Out of the 6 books I bid on (5 upgrades, 1 new) I got just one. 

#50 from 9.4 to 9.6 

Was the underbidder on #18 and #48 so a little gutted there.

Although I did get BAT LASH #1 in 9.6. 

On 6/21/2024 at 3:23 AM, Chiparus said:

Not particularly great for me either last night. Out of the 6 books I bid on (5 upgrades, 1 new) I got just one. 

#50 from 9.4 to 9.6 

Was the underbidder on #18 and #48 so a little gutted there.

Although I did get BAT LASH #1 in 9.6. 

Ah! Its was YOU lmao I was trying hard on the #48 hahaha, that one hurt the most. I also bid 6 but got outbid on all of em

On 6/15/2024 at 9:48 AM, tth2 said:

I've always thought so.  The 9.8 copy I owned may still be the nicest looking early SA book I've ever owned, even if the miswrap used to drive my OCD-addled brain a little nuts.

image.thumb.jpeg.dff05340801d7f79753f0b6f9a6c726b.jpeg

I think #38 was one of the books in the 3-Pak’s that DC was selling in 1962, along with Aquaman #3, Action Comics #288 etc. That would explain the higher numbers. I bought an Action #288 from the SDCC many years ago from a seller that had a bunch of these 3-Paks that he opened. I always wanted to own an unopened pak as May ‘62 is my birth month and year. Since this is a May ‘62 book that explains it to me. I think the collective value made it easier to sell the individual books than a whole pak. The Action I bought was incredibly fresh. 

Edited by Silver

You can see that the date on the Superman is May and Showcase 38 is June. I think it makes sense these were in the Comicpac's accounting for their higher numbers in the census.