• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2023 at 11:24 PM, 10centcomics said:

If 200K magically appeared in your pocket, it would be a massive mistake not to get the Showcase 4. 200K also isn't enough for a 9.0+ Showcase 4. A 9.6 sold in 2009 for 180K. 

Not sure what census figures you are checking but none of the mid-run books are as rare as the early Showcases in 9.0 or above. As I mentioned earlier, Showcase 2 doesn't have anything higher than an 8.5 on the census.

Even if the mid-run Showcases are as rare as you say they are, they likely won't experience the same price growth over the next decade of your collecting journey (well unless B'wana Beast has a hit Hollywood movie), which is why all the experienced collectors in this thread are imploring you to start with the keys first. For the non-keys, it is also likely there are many raw nice copies that haven't been graded yet so the census is less representative of the entire population of the book.

I say keep doing what you're doing with the non-keys, it's fun to build momentum and check off acquisitions from the want list. But at the same time, you should have a plan for what you're gonna do with the earlier mega-keys. Procrastinating on that will make it financially out of reach in the future. You can get a low-grade but well-presenting copy of Showcase 4 for under $10,000 today. That's obviously still a ton of money but something realistic if you save up or sell off other books in your collection. 

Good luck!

There's a 34 out there now if you want to cross that one off 

Screenshot_20230925-160656_DuckDuckGo.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 3:01 AM, Chiparus said:

That's the same copy doing the rounds over the last few years. Its up on comic connect too.

Yeah, the Slobodian copy.

It is on Comic Connect for $225K and also on Reece's site again for $240K. Three different prices, same copy.

At least with Comic Connect, one can probably work in free shipping with the "Make An Offer" option! :insane:

image.thumb.png.d9aacfe5a193acf85ae9b24bf52acb3e.pngimage.thumb.png.0ffd841de05137b177d9aac2082a1289.png

On 9/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, DanCooper said:
On 9/26/2023 at 3:01 PM, Chiparus said:

That's the same copy doing the rounds over the last few years. Its up on comic connect too.

It is on Comic Connect for $225K and also on Reece's site again for $240K. Three different prices, same copy.

That's insane.  Even with the Covid spikes in prices, Showcase 34 isn't a 6-figure book, let alone $200k+.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, DanCooper said:

When I owned it, it hadn't been identified as the Slobodian copy yet.  After I sold it, Doug Schmell apparently acquired it somewhere along the way and somehow determined it was the Slobodian copy and marketed it as such afterwards.  How he determined it was the Slobodian, I don't know because there aren't any identifying marks.  I could believe it, though, because it was as nice as other Slobodians I've seen.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:22 AM, tth2 said:

When I owned it, it hadn't been identified as the Slobodian copy yet.  After I sold it, Doug Schmell apparently acquired it somewhere along the way and somehow determined it was the Slobodian copy and marketed it as such afterwards.  How he determined it was the Slobodian, I don't know because there aren't any identifying marks.  I could believe it, though, because it was as nice as other Slobodians I've seen.

I believe Tom Brulato had owned this Slobodian Showcase 34 at one point (pre-CGC/1990s)

It was during a brief time span, where I believe Tom was "experimenting" with collecting/investing in Silver Age DCs (didn't last long)

On 9/26/2023 at 8:46 AM, Chiparus said:

BTW have you guys seen Tom Avent's (Mississippi mudcats) 9.6 copy - stunning pedigree book. Check it out. What an epic Showcase collection he is building.  

WOW! Now, THAT'S a Showcase run Registry set! (THANKS for the heads up!)

Showcase 4, 8 and 14 in 9.2. Showcase 13 9.4!

Showcase 22 9.0 and #23 9.4!

The 9.6 Showcase 34 is the Western Penn copy!

5264404_Full_Obv.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 10:44 PM, DanCooper said:
On 9/26/2023 at 8:46 PM, Chiparus said:

BTW have you guys seen Tom Avent's (Mississippi mudcats) 9.6 copy - stunning pedigree book. Check it out. What an epic Showcase collection he is building.  

WOW! Now, THAT'S a Showcase run Registry set! (THANKS for the heads up!)

Showcase 4, 8 and 14 in 9.2. Showcase 13 9.4!

Showcase 22 9.0 and #23 9.4!

That is indeed a fantastic set!

On 9/26/2023 at 10:44 PM, DanCooper said:

The 9.6 Showcase 34 is the Western Penn copy!

Upgraded from its previous 9.4 slab.  I shouldn't be shocked, but I still am because it wasn't a 9.6, in my opinion, even with a press.  I had a chance to buy the WP copy but determined it was not as good as the Slobodian copy, although it was a tough decision because I ended up buying the WP Showcase 35 & 36 from the same seller and hated breaking up the WP set.