• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 1 silver signed with a red spider web stamp from McFarlane’s store
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Could this be considered for a pedigree label?

I got this Spider-Man 1 from my LCS in Winnipeg Canada when it first came out in 1990. All of the certificates of authenticity were photocopied from the 1 origional copy. And It cost me $20 Canadian at the time.

I was wondering if this would be able to receive a “pedigree label” due to the stamp on the back. Or a “qualified pedigree label” maybe?

2196FA97-513D-46F8-A1A8-93237E1AD064.jpeg

69205263-71A1-4013-8DDE-102C84C0AFF3.jpeg

57CDF651-28AD-43B4-917F-C28AFA4A5277.jpeg

A614F40A-885C-4B16-A29F-3169D7B0F8D7.jpeg

1B175182-E228-449D-9E1C-17D726F0D95F.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello, 

Thank you for your inquiry.  This book would not receive a Pedigree label. If the signing is not witnessed by an authorized CGC witness and directly submitted for grading, then the signature cannot be authenticated for Signature Series. Testimonials, photographs, video recordings, certificates of authenticity and any other proof of signing are not accepted.

Any items that have already been signed would not qualify for Signature Series label.  In most cases they would receive a green Qualified label.  This allows the graders to ignore the signature for grading purposes and the book is not downgraded for the writing.  Label Description | CGC (cgccomics.com) 

Generally, at or below a 6.0 the writing/signature on the cover no longer has a significant impact on the grade and our graders may feel it is not necessary to qualify the grade.  They will factor the signature into grade and the book would receive a Universal (blue) label with the same notation of name on cover in marker.

Please do not send in COAs but retain them for your records as they are not needed for grading and may not be returned to you.

More information on our Signature Series Program can be found at:

https://www.cgccomics.com/signature-series/

image.png

On 11/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, Hot Nickels said:

No and that auto is highly suspect

It doesn't look like Todd's current signature, but it looks exactly like a lot of the Todd signatures I got in 1992. Doesn't look suspect to me, and (now addressing OP) that red stamp is better than a COA for my money. Those who know know you have a copy that was bought day of release from Todd himself at his own store. As a collector I'd be more than happy to have one of those, even if it meant a green label. You've got a great book on your hands.

I have at least two of these in my personal collection, and maybe a third.  One is the black cover, the other is the green cover - my brother thinks I have the black/gold cover signed too.  Somewhere, the COAs got lost, but I would bet the farm on that book being originally signed by Todd.  I also bought mine as SOON as it came out.  So, I KNOW that's the real deal.

I would never think it would qualify as a pedigree though - it doesn't meet the criteria in my opinion.  I do think that these are pretty cool and I would never hesitate to buy another one.  Generally, they sell from $50-100 each - a few a little higher and some a little lower.

I had thought about sending one in for when Todd does another CGC signing.  I presume that would get a Yellow/Green label as it would have at least one verified signature by Todd, but as it had another non-verified it would get the green notation as noted above.

Again, GREAT book!!

PDG