• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Lady #23 ended on eBay
2 2

15 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, Funnybooks said:

Does not appear 5.5 to me...price reflected that imho

Agree, the photos were jacked up to brighten the whites.  I'd would have probably eyeballed it as a "better to be safe 2.5" and lost out by way under-bidding.  Cool book though.

Edited by path4play

On 11/16/2022 at 10:26 AM, ThothAmon said:

Graded 5.0 sale on HA from 2020 appears nicer than the eBay copy. 

A77003F7-3D20-4A18-88D6-6BFC8C3A747A.png

More recently (June) an 8.0 only reached $10,800 (w/BP) on Heritage, so a lot of range with this book, as seems the case with Phantom Lady in general. Still I'd expect a slabbed 5.5 to hit $5.5K at least. The copy just sold looked more like a 4.0 with the spine stains/foxing and rusty staples. The price seems to reflect that's what bidders thought as well. 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:15 PM, path4play said:

Agree, the photos were jacked up to brighten the whites.  I'd of probably eyeballed it as a 2.5 and lost out by way under-bidding.  Cool book though.

Upping the contrast may have made the staining/foxing look worse than it does in hand though. 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:17 PM, rjpb said:

Upping the contrast may have made the staining/foxing look worse than it does in hand though. 

Well that's the gamble.  Sometimes there is a reason its not already in a slab?  Especially when a 'fee bayer' is primarily a comic seller and its a big book... that and jacking with the contrast makes me hesitate imo.  But on the other hand, you might be right and this will grade out solid winner for a good buy.

Regardless, its an awesome book, wish I had one.  As long as buyer is thrilled.  We will probably see it in 2 months on HA in a 5.0 blue label sell for a double lol.

Edited by path4play

On 11/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, path4play said:

Well that's the gamble.  Sometimes there is a reason its not already in a slab?  Especially when a 'fee bayer' is primarily a comic seller and its a big book...imo.

I don't always slab four figure books when I sell them. Maybe I should, but the time, cost and recent concerns about quality control have made me more reluctant than I used to be. Slabbed books are easier to sell, though they don't always fetch a premium for having been slabbed, particularly in the lower grades. 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:28 PM, rjpb said:

I don't always slab four figure books when I sell them. Maybe I should, but the time, cost and recent concerns about quality control have made me more reluctant than I used to be. Slabbed books are easier to sell, though they don't always fetch a premium for having been slabbed, particularly in the lower grades. 

True, I don't play much in that level but I have to admit I start to consider the slabbing fees in my thought process.  Something was just off enough about that listing I would have gone in at a 2.5-3.0.  Maybe I would have lost out. 

Let's agree on this - best to lay flat on nice scanner and scan both sides - then photo at least inside front, centerfold and back inside, and don't go crazy playing with the contrast...  In fact, I like to scan and photo the front cover to give two views of the colors.  If your selling four figure books, at least do me that favor?

Edited by path4play

On 11/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, rjpb said:

More recently (June) an 8.0 only reached $10,800 (w/BP) on Heritage, so a lot of range with this book, as seems the case with Phantom Lady in general. Still I'd expect a slabbed 5.5 to hit $5.5K at least. The copy just sold looked more like a 4.0 with the spine stains/foxing and rusty staples. The price seems to reflect that's what bidders thought as well. 

That was a candidate for the best deal in the last 5 years.  I still can't understand how such a high demand book got overlooked and went for a fraction of its perceived FMV in a red-hot market (even though it seemed to be over-graded due to a significant color breaking crease in the LRC).